New Members Introduce Yourselves

Phillyman

Hi all! Retroguy here! I'm 27 and I'm currently writing a book on videogames, focusing on the pre-Playstation era. The book is going to have two parts. The first part (which I'm writing now) is me playing a bunch of old games and reviewing them. The challange there is finding something interesting to say that will fill more than half a page (I'm a very concise writer). When I get to it, the second part of the book will be a series of essays on gaming history (for example, an essay discussing the making of Dragon's Lair and comparing the various console versions of it).

I wanted to thank you guys for hosting such a great website. This is the most awesome research material I could have ever hoped to find. I'd love to give you guys a shoutout on the acknowledgements page, but I'm concerned that the copyright nazis will shut you down if I do. What do you think?

Incidentally, I have some Atari 2600 game catalogs that I'd like to contribute to the site, but I don't know where they are right now. I'll let you know when I find them.

Hi all. I'm Matt, 27 from Melbourne, Australia. I run the website Retro Gaming Australia, buy and play far too many video games and used to be a freelance writer for a number of Australian gaming websites (but now I'm a boring old accountant). Joined this site for a few reasons, namely hoping to see more Australian and UK magazines in the future, but also to assist in research for two major gaming-related projects I've been working on for the past year. That and I dig the whole preservation thing - kudos to all of those who have dedicated long hours to scanning countless magazines.

Hi there,

I am Ben, in the UK. Being collecting retrogames mags mainly from the 80's/90's to go with my games collection. Super Nintendo is my era. The main Mags I collect, Super Play (full set) Maximum (full set), Computer & Video Games Magazine (just 3 issue to go til I have the full run! from its start to its end in 2004). Total! magazine (almost full set), Mean Machines (full Set), Game Zone (Full set) and Oficial Nintendo Magazine System (NMS/NOM)the original run in the 90's, only collecting up until the year 2000 on those.

I look forward to taking a look around.

• 1 month later...

Hi,I'm from Nova Scotia,Canada.Been a gamer from the time the Atari came out.Played many of the platform games,until Final Fantasy came out on Nintendo,and have been hooked on RPG's ever since. :Yahooo: I have a collection of strategy guides for all FF games.Going to haul out all those other game magazines and make a list of them.Who should I give the list too? Anyways,glad to be here and hope I can be of help sometime in the near future. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess I should say something in here.

Hi all, just popping in from my usual lurking activities. In what I imagine is counter to the general idea of the site, I'm not as big a collector as I used to be (mostly due to room reorganizing leading to the vast majority of my collection heading to the donation bin at the library), but back in the day I had some fairly extensive collections of Game Informer, EGM, Nintendo Power, and OXM (all old magazines to us young folk, I assure you). Now I'm just trying to stay in touch with the old days (if that makes any sense at all).

• 4 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

Hello im new

Do you think you could elaborate on that? You've made eight posts, none of them exceeding 12 words. And quite a few are one-word replies to topics that are over five years old. If you are going to reply to old topics (or any topic), at least add something substantial to the topic.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Figured I should add my 'hello' here :)

My name's Wil and I'm in the UK. Old enough to remember those electro-mechanical arcade machines that slowly gave way to the B&W video games of the mid '70s, my first system was the Atari VCS in 1982(I think) but I soon moved on to the usual UK computer gamer line-up of Spectrum, C64 etc. ending up at the Amiga before going back to consoles with the Super Famicom/SNES.

I worked on UK games mags from Future in the '90s - mainly Super Play and N64 but I've done stuff for the likes of Edge, Official PlayStation, GamesMaster etc over the years. Did a few covers for Retro Gamer a while back, too.

I don't really collect mags but I do love them and try to have a nice spread across the ages. I've got some earlish stuff like Videogames Illustrated (from the US), Personal Computer Gamer, Crash etc. (from the UK) which are my faves. I also love games fanzines. If you recognise names like Digital Press, Shining Forth, Role Call and Famicom Go! you'll know the sort of thing I mean.

So, that's me.

Hello.

Wil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm 26 years old and from Germany. I like retro gaming, maybe because I never could afford the current generation of computer or video game hardware. So I am doomed to catch up with what I might have missed and with games that are now considered classics :).

I don't collect vintage magazines but I still have some from my early days of gaming, I just managed to find my old issues of the german Club Nintendo. It seems there are no scans of the german issues on this site, so I would like to contribute by scanning what I have. Can someone point me in the right direction where I should start with this? I will look around the forums and try to find my way.

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I'm 26 and from the US. Gaming culture was a huge part of my childhood; I began reading gaming magazines when I was 8. Many years have passed since I was an active gamer, and many more since I actively collected magazines, but they'll always have a place in my heart.

I'll soon be doing quite a bit of traveling, and it's time to lighten the load. I'm looking to not only participate in the community here, but also to sell what magazines I can to fill in some gaps on the site. Unfortunately, my own scanning abilities are currently limited. I'll be leaving for the Netherlands in about 90 days, so hopefully I'll manage to contribute physical copies to those who wish to buy well before then.

Thanks for having me!

Hello, I'm from Quebec Canada. I'm very interested in retro gaming. I'm glad I found this site.

When I was about 9, my cousin get rid of his NES era magazines. I got about half of them including Nintendo Power, Flash Puissance and some strategy guides. Later I subscribed to Nintendo Power using coupons in cereal boxes.

I got some Game Player's magazines not yet available on the site. I'll check if no one is currently scanning them.

Hi I forgot to introduce myself so here it is.

I'm 19 years old, come from the netherlands.

I like game magazines and I think its just awesome how people here are joining in to preserve historic game documents.

Wish I could help a bit out with the magazines but unfortunately I don't have that much, plus most of the magazines I own are from around 2000 so it would be against the rules to upload them.

Hey-Lo everyone. I'm a big gamer out there and was glad to know that there is a place like this that archives classic magazines. I'm from Jersey and my very first magazine I had was Nintendo Power. I had subscriptions to other magazines in the past, but poor me has lost and or given away my collection.

Hoping one day I may donate my huge Official Playstation Magazine collection to archive to this place when it ages another couple of years haha.

Hi guys! I've been lurking since late last year when HG101 did a "behind the scenes" look at researching video game history (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/history/history.htm) and listed your site as a reference.

I'm not really much of a collector, but have about 15 years worth of GamePro magazines that I've been meaning to scan before tossing to clear up some much needed space! It's a relief to know that there are others out there with a similar mindset!

Since most of my 1990s-era mags are falling apart, the scans offered here are way better than anything I could pull off. I downloaded a few issues in December, but didn't get back here until after the Megaupload thing. This site was the first thing that came to mind when that story broke...

Anyway, I'm planning to fill in the gaps so I can recycle most of my old magazines. I had a habit of "rescuing" random mags from friends growing up, so if I find something unique, I'll definitely try to contribute!

Thanks for your efforts in offering this service, especially in light of recent hardships.

Hello everyone. I just discovered Retromags a few weeks ago. I have been gaming since I played Donkey Kong on the Coleco Vision about the time the NES was about to dominate. I prefer what people seem to call retro-gaming. I have not gotten into the current generation of gaming so well so I am going back and trying to play all those games my parents did not buy me when I was young.

I found the site while looking for old Nintendo Powers so I could play some old NES games using only what we had at the time... Kind of silly to espouse the use old-school magazines as my source for beating these old games over the use of the internet and then use the internet to get a look at the magazines. I just did not want to use online walkthroughs preferring to maybe just get a hint here and there and do most of it by myself.

I have never collected video-game mags before. I did have some old strategy guides but sold them on ebay. I am trying to get back in financial situation where I can take up collecting games again though. I would like to own some of the classics on NES complete with box and manual.

Hello

I am soo happy to have found this site. I have really been regretting getting rid of my old gaming magazines. I started out with the 3rd issue of nintendo power, and eventually got gamepro and egm. I subscribed for years to all 3 until sometime in the 90s. I would read every issue over and over until I had about 10 boxes full of very tattered gaming magazines. I made the bad decision of throwing them all out one day because i was sick of moving them every time I moved. Thank you for all the work you guys do to make this site possible. I have been keeping an eye out for old gaming mags at garage sales and if I find any needed here I will get them scanned.