New Members Introduce Yourselves

Phillyman

I found this site via a random Google search. I'm active on many other forums, but I never came across any mention of this place.

I joined because I collect retro gaming magazines, a rather small hobby I thought. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I have the rights to do anything on this site! I can't upload, download, start a topic, etc. It makes it very hard to become part of this community. This forum must have had a traumatic past with new comers.

I had hoped to download a single magazine so that I could see the format standards. Fortunately, you have a magazine I do not own in my collection, Video Games & Computer Entertainment number 12 (Jan 1990). I'm not a "leecher", but one who would like to share my hobby. It seems like efforts to protect your labor might discourage other laborers from joining you. Much of my attempts to see what I can do have only led to further explanation of my limitations here. Why is it like that?

• Retromags Curator

I found this site via a random Google search. I'm active on many other forums, but I never came across any mention of this place.

I joined because I collect retro gaming magazines, a rather small hobby I thought. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I have the rights to do anything on this site! I can't upload, download, start a topic, etc. It makes it very hard to become part of this community. This forum must have had a traumatic past with new comers.

I had hoped to download a single magazine so that I could see the format standards. Fortunately, you have a magazine I do not own in my collection, Video Games & Computer Entertainment number 12 (Jan 1990). I'm not a "leecher", but one who would like to share my hobby. It seems like efforts to protect your labor might discourage other laborers from joining you. Much of my attempts to see what I can do have only led to further explanation of my limitations here. Why is it like that?

Hi, Jeff (and all of our other newcomers)!

Yeah, the site protection went into effect because of a very large number of problems caused by a very small number of people. Actually getting download access is simple: once you make one post here on the forums, you get one download per day. That goes up to five downloads per day once you've made 5 posts, and it goes up again at 25 posts. The idea was to try and foster a sense of community among gamers, readers and collectors. We're fun to be around, even if it's been a little quiet lately, and we love new people so feel free to chime in on any topic you like. :)

At some point in the future, we're going to transition the collection over to newsgroup archives which will lift the download restriction completely. Right now, we're still trying to nail down the best way to do that. We've gotten hosed several times in the last year with various services being shut down and utterly destroying our collection, and we want to make certain that doesn't happen again. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Hi, Tim here from the Philippines. I grew up reading EGM as a kid and it was my gaming bible. Aside from up to date gaming news and reviews, I enjoyed how the staff was always down to earth and it always felt like they were your brothers or friends, instead of some anonymous editor. It made reading reviews much more fun too. Also, who could forget Sushi-X!

Anyway, I still game a lot as a hobby, I play mostly on my PS3, 3DS and Vita, but I'm still an avid retro gamer(main reason why I'm here).

Hello, retro fans!

My name is Kevin and I am currently living in Japan. I wanted my member name to be "Kevin," but someone else already took it. I used "retrokev" because it was the first thing that came to mind. Anyway, I love the idea behind Retromags and I would like to see it continue proving nostalgic information for fans around the world. I might not be here too often, but I did want to at least show my face, unlike this guy. :)

• Retromags Curator

Hello, retro fans!

My name is Kevin and I am currently living in Japan. I wanted my member name to be "Kevin," but someone else already took it. I used "retrokev" because it was the first thing that came to mind. Anyway, I love the idea behind Retromags and I would like to see it continue proving nostalgic information for fans around the world. I might not be here too often, but I did want to at least show my face, unlike this guy. :)

Welcome Kevin (retrokev)! We regularly prune inactive accounts, so if Kevin doesnt show up for a while...and still has 0 posts....you will be able to change your name :)

Welcome Kevin (retrokev)! We regularly prune inactive accounts, so if Kevin doesnt show up for a while...and still has 0 posts....you will be able to change your name :)

Thanks. How often do they get pruned? He hasn't logged in for over eight months and is in the Inactive Members group. Oh, he's also genderless. o.O

• Retromags Curator

Thanks. How often do they get pruned? He hasn't logged in for over eight months and is in the Inactive Members group. Oh, he's also genderless. o.O

I was doing it every few months back in the day. Basically I just run a query in the back end of the site. No posts and inactive for 365 days = Adios!. See now you know that your account will NEVER be pruned!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys and gals, just wanted to introduce myself, the name's Brad. I've been retro gaming since before it was, well... retro haha. Grew up with the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS1/N64, so on and so forth. Very much torn between the SNES and PS1 as the better overall era for gaming in my eyes.

Used to subscribe to Gamepro back in the day, before moving on to PSM sometime in 1998. Unfortunately, gave away my PSM collection to the local library for a book sale (d'oh!) after the magazine switched to PTOM in 2008, and sterilized the fun right out of the magazine in the process.

As for me, I find that I enjoy reading about or watching games every bit as much as I do actually playing them. Other than that, real life, work, and cars tend to keep me pretty busy for the most part. Looking forward to seeing how Retromags 2.0 shapes up to be, and I'll try to pop in from time to time. Hopefully I can help out somehow, although my magazine collection is somewhat limited compared to what it once was. Take care! =)

Hello everyone! I've been looking at all of my old game magazine on the shelf (running from probably early 90's through the 2000's) wondering if anyone else was like me. Looks like a promising community that has already done some neat stuff. I'm pleased to be here.

• Retromags Curator

You're most welcome, te72. :)

"Areala" isn't a reference to Chrono Crusade, but the comic book character "Warrior Nun Areala" created by Ben Dunn for Antarctic Press back in the mid-90s. The only things she and I have in common, sadly enough, are gender, a Catholic upbringing, and red hair...my latent penchant for kicking demonic ass and hurling exploding rosary beads at foes never kicked in. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm Frank from Germany. I was looking for some video game magazines I used to read in the 90s such as "Gamers" (Sega) or "Total!" (Nintendo), when I discovered retromags.com. Thanks for your great work! In Germany there are some magazines that cover retro gaming, e. g. "Retro" and a german version of the UK "Retro Gamer", but nothing beats reading the original mags!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm derboo, some of you may have read stuff I wrote for Hardcore Gaming 101. Since most of our articles are about vintage games, I think old magazines are indispensable to get some historic context, and to get the facts straight. So big kudos to everyone who helps preserving them and keeping them available.

Edited by derboo

Hey all! I'm new, and a pack rat, haha. So of course I still have almost every video game magazine I've bought since I was a kid. I'd love to upload them on here to help the cause. Hopefully I'll figure something out since I don't have a scanner.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm Dan, live in St. Louis, MO.

My first console was a NES I got around 1989. It was the gray one without the powerpad.

My parents got me a Sega Genesis (cousin got the Super Nintendo) in 1995 for Easter. It was really an excuse for my dad to get NHL 1994, but I definitely benefited from it.

Then I saved up my allowance and got a Playstation 1 in 1998.

Got a job and bought a Playstation 2 in 2002.

I used to buy old Nintendo Power magazines from our local library. (Usually 2 years old by the time I got them, loved those old layouts)

Since Playstation games were so expensive, I relied on the Ziff Davis Official Playstation Magazine to give me something to play every month.

And I had a solid several year subscription to Game informer.

I loved Electronic Gaming Monthly, but only bought the occasional copy when I had some money.

Love reading about and playing older videogames.