New Members Introduce Yourselves

Phillyman

Hi guys - Sean is the name, hailing from Southampton, UK where I work in Mental Health, I also write freelance for a couple of UK games mags (Retro Gamer & gamesTM) and for www.ntsc-uk.domino.org . Am currently playing Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, but I also have all the other current gen consoles as well as a lovely Japan DC and a Jp PS2. My favourite games include the King Of Fighters series, Arc System Works fighters, Demon's Crest and Layer Section.

Really interesting site here - looking forward to having a good old look through.

Nice to see someone who writes for Retro Gamer. Love the mag! :grin:

This months issue is a terrific one with the big making of NiGHTS special and the Battle Garegga article. Not to forget the great feature about the Official Sega Saturn magazine this month. (wink, wink :grin: )

The only thing I would change about the magazine is it's large focus on the computer side of things so that it would cover much more console gaming. As well as having a bigger section on Japanese only retro games.

But that just my personal preferences getting in the way. :wink:

I fully realize that fans of classic computer games would riot in the streets and make the rivers in England run red with blood if I'd get me way. :fear:

• Retromags Curator

Hi, I am brand new here, and I have stumbled upon heaven! This place is awesome. I am glad I finally found a place where I can get back issues of old gaming magazines.

Has anyone thought about contacting the guy who runs weaselmag.com? He has cover scans of almost every old copy of EGM and GamePro. Maybe he'd loan them out for scanning.

Anyhow, glad to be here!

• Retromags Curator
Hi, I am brand new here, and I have stumbled upon heaven! This place is awesome. I am glad I finally found a place where I can get back issues of old gaming magazines.

Has anyone thought about contacting the guy who runs weaselmag.com? He has cover scans of almost every old copy of EGM and GamePro. Maybe he'd loan them out for scanning.

Anyhow, glad to be here!

He actually has an account over here :)

He has been so gracious as to grant us permission to use any missing covers on our Wiki, as a small token of my appreciation I have told him he can use ours (even though he probably has 100X as many as we do)

• Retromags Curator

Does he help scan and such? He seems to have a lot of issues.

The reason I searched out a site like this is because I miss the good old days. I bought the December issue of GamePro over a week ago. The first one I bought in almost 11 years. Needless to say I was disappointed. Everything about it has changed. It used to be fun to read, with fun layouts and reviews and such. Now the magazine has too much of a serious layout and style. It made me miss my old issues of GamePro from the early 90's.

Video games are fun, and to me reading video game magazines should be fun as well. Hardcore Gamer magazine does a good job of that, but it's just not the same. It doesn't seem as thorough.

So, instead of calling GamePro to find out back issues would probably be $6-8 each, I searched for an alternative (read: free) source. Thus, Memory Lane will need to provide me my joy :)

Hey, fellas. Spy_Smasher here. I must say, I'm very impressed with the dedication to preserving these mags. ATM I'm up to my neck in comic scanning projects (especially since I am so god-awful at it) but who knows, maybe I can find some time to contribute here in a substantial way. Anyway, I apreciate the effort.

hi, my names Rich, i collect a lot of old games consoles and am interested in checking out a lot of the old reviews, so i can find more games to buy :P

I have a lot of magazines from around 92-95 era (mostly gamesmaster i think) in my cupboard and i don't mind scanning them when i get the chance (i'd have to use my parents scanner when they go on holiday) many of them are however in poor condition and are missing front covers, do the scans have to be perfect? do i need to scan adverts and such as well? i would say, that at worst my mags are missing the cover and occasionally the first page (there are still quite a lot of complete ones with covers, but some are a little moth-eaten and ripped)

Hi, I'm Tony and I'm from Germany. I do own 2 consoles, the NES and SNES. The SNES will be my all time favourite console ever made. Due to my lack of time I stopped playing video games a fair while ago. Nevertheless, I like this place very much and the idea behind it, therefore I decided to become a premium member immediatley. I would help provide magazines but all the mags I own are in German language... To me video game magazines have always been part of the video gaming experience. I love reading the old mags as it brings back memories and it's simply fun to read. Also, it's amazing to see the similarity of the magazine's contests of the magazines to be found here and the ones I have. Kepp the good work and merry christmas...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There, I'm Dan from sunny Italy! I LOVE retrogaming, expecially Saturn and Pcengine. As I always say, the best games have already been released so here i am, looking for old scans and offering help with italian magazines as long as i can supply em. I often write for popular video games magazines here in italy and...well, that's all for now!

Hello everyone,

My name is Ben Warren, most people online know me as Enker. I'm a working graphic designer and illustrator in Hertford, England and freelance writer - mostly in the field of Retro Gaming and Popular Culture. I also run a couple of webcomics. A big fan of games, and rpgs in particular, I think that ANY site that scans and maintains old magazines for the future is a wonderful thing!

Hello Im John. Im something of an intellectual Jack of all Trades. Stopped by here after reading the article about Sega Saturn Magazine in last months retro gamer. I might trudge through all my old boxes to see if I have anything of interest to you fine people. I'm pretty sure I have issue one of the Game Boy Magazine somewhere.

i'm a 27 year old elementary school teacher and full time husband. I'm also really into sports specifically football and basketball. i help coach a church league basketball team and i'm really involved with my local church. Also, I am an avid gamer and videogame collector including retro gaming magazines. I found this site just by chance while trying to find some back issues of a couple of magazines through ebay. I own most of the popular consoles from the early 90's to now including the snes, genesis, 32x, ps1, ps2, xbox, xbox 360, psp, dslite, sega dreamcast, n64, and the wii. I used to subscribe to gamepro in the early to mid 90's and i still own most of those magazines now. i still get EGM, Gameinformer, and OXM in the mail. i think i have around 400 total gaming magazines dating back to 1993 to current. i own around 350 games including 114 carts for the snes. anyway, i'm looking to make some friends and start reading some of the scanned magazines from the website. i dont have a scanner and i'm not very good with photo shop but i did donate a few dollars to the website in hopes that it lives forever. anyway, if you play xbox live, my gamertag is ncman071.

BTW, i live in North Carolina and i'm a 2004 graduate of Appalachian State University who just won their 3rd consecutive national championship in FCS (formally IAA) footall. in case you didn't know, we also shocked the world by winning in Ann Arbor and defeating a Michigan team who also just beat 12th ranked Florida in their bowl game.

Hello,

my name is Mauro, I'm 25 years old and I'm from Recife - Brazil. I work for the government as a sofware engineer, and I'm curretly studying Law, since I had enough of programming. I just came across the retromags.com and I have to tell you that I found its idea no more than amazing. My gaming experience started in the late 80's with an Atari 2600, evolving in the early 90's to a Sega Master System. After these two consoles I owned a Super NES and a Nintendo 64. Currently I'm enjoing my PS2, a NDS and a PSP. My favorite games of all time are Chrono Trigger and Ocarina of Time, in this order. Regarding game mazines, I remember collecting then since the first day I had my Sega Master System. Of course they were Brazilian ones. My firt contact with a mag from abroad was with a few EMG editions, that I still have here with (this was around 1994, I think). Since back than a barely knew english, I almost only looked at the pictures and the nice ads. It was very hard to find these EGM editions here in Brazil, and when you found one it was very very expensive. Now the Brazilian editorial market counts with nice magazines like nintendo power and egm brazil, but imported egm are still quite expensive. Here at retomags I'm most interested in revisiting old game reviews and news. I'm particulary interested in the inssue #100 of EGM, for sentimental reasons (Although I targeted to own that one, it was impossible to find it in the city, and I had to live with the issue #101. It was the best I could find).

Hi,

I'm 26 and I've been playing games since early childhood when my father bought an Intellivision and an Atari 2600. I didn't really get into video gaming until my mom bought a NES for my brother and me in 1988. I was a subscriber of Nintendo Power from the first issue until about Issue 188.

During the 16 bit era I only read Nintendo Power so it's cool that this site has old GamePro and other magazines that I missed out on. The 16 bit era was my favorite by far.

astos?? i just beat you up in Final Fantasy tonight haha!

Well name is Chris.. 32 or so.. Wandered over here from a brief trip at emuparadise.org when I learned that it was this site that actually did the work and put together a rather large collection of Nintendo Power issues that were going around via torrents..

Got my first NES waaaaay back in 86.. Addict ever since the Atari 2600/Apple II hit the streets and had to keep the consoles coming!!

Sadly most of my cartridges only work about half the time now, but I gotta say thanks to Retromags for providing the mags I threw out about 20 years ago or Id still be running around looking for body parts in Simon's Quest!!

Well, I'm 24 years old. I use to collect Nintendo Power magazines from the early 90s. I have to say it is really awesome putting these classic Nintendo Power magazines online. Everything is going electronic these days. It will be nice to someday have an entire Nintendo Power collection on your computer.

Andy

Hi everyone!

I'm 21 years old and a journalism student at the University of Maryland. I do a ton of gaming along some writing for a couple music websites in my spare time. I grew up as a gamer, with Nintendo Power and Gamepro and such, and I can still spend way too much time reading those magazines today. I was amazed to find a site like this - for the longest time I didn't think anyone else cared about these old rags, but it's great to see I was wrong.

As far as games go, I've got an Xbox 360 and Wii, and those are pretty fun, but I spend most of my time playing handhelds cause I hate being chained to a TV - my trusty PSP, DS, and laptop go with me everywhere. I was a Nintendo kid growing up, got my first NES in 1991 or so.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!