Am I The Only One Who Thinks Like This?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Ok I have to vent, I basically work at a museum for all of you that dont know. Anyways we have a food court, and like any food court we have a place to get things you may need for your meal (ketchup, mustard, napkins, forks, knifes...etc). The people who run the food court use to have 3 containers for plastic ware. One container for each item....fork, knife, spoon. Now they were buying the uncovered plastic ware, which does not come with the protective plastic wrap. Now we all know kids arent the brightest, and as such they reach for 1 spoon and touch 10 others in the process. So I am guessing some people complained and the people who run this area ordered covered plastic ware. Well I am thinking that this must cost more money.....so in order to cut costs....they ordered 3 self dispensing plastic ware machines. Basically you push a lever and 1 fork is dispensed.....Now they can buy uncovered plastic ware without worying about the kids contaminating multiple pieces. But the idiots that are filling these machines are not only filling the back of the unit, but putting 30-50 extra pieces where the 1 piece is suppose to come out......which brings us right back to the original problem :rolleyes:

• Retromags Curator

I don't find it that big a deal. It's not like your hands are clean when you are grabbing the utensils or touching your food.

I am not one to sterilize myself or my surroundings. Or even my 3-year-old. Germs and dirt are good for you, and him. some doctors think that a lot of kids are allergic to peanuts because when they were much younger, they weren't exposed to enough germs. Lack of exposure meant the antibodies meant to fight germs had nothing to fight. So when they come across peanuts, which contain proteins not found in other foods, the antibodies overreact and attack those proteins. People sterilize everything for their kids these days when they are meant to come into contact adn fight off germs.

This, I do not sterilize myself. A little dirt never hurt ;)

I don't find it that big a deal. It's not like your hands are clean when you are grabbing the utensils or touching your food.

I am not one to sterilize myself or my surroundings. Or even my 3-year-old. Germs and dirt are good for you, and him. some doctors think that a lot of kids are allergic to peanuts because when they were much younger, they weren't exposed to enough germs. Lack of exposure meant the antibodies meant to fight germs had nothing to fight. So when they come across peanuts, which contain proteins not found in other foods, the antibodies overreact and attack those proteins. People sterilize everything for their kids these days when they are meant to come into contact adn fight off germs.

This, I do not sterilize myself. A little dirt never hurt ;)

Obviously you wash your hands before you kneed the dough right? H1N1 is a real problem right now and expected to get worse. Worst thing is there is no cure and it can spread airborne.

• Retromags Curator

Obviously you wash your hands before you kneed the dough right? H1N1 is a real problem right now and expected to get worse. Worst thing is there is no cure and it can spread airborne.

If you mean actual dough, yes. I wash my hands before cooking; that's just good practice and common sense. I also wipe down the counter, but I don't sterilize it.

Didn't WHO say they overhyped H1N1? I'm not worried about that. It's basically a flu. Like SARS, it's mostly those with already weak immune systems that die from it. And people die from flus constantly; they just don't have the hype behind it.

What I have learned I have learned from CNN and our local news. I never heard that comment from the World Health Organization but I know it is impossible to know what is going to happen next. The virus could fade away gradually, or mutate into something more severe. Another possibility is that we could continue to see sporadic cases emerge over the next few months, followed by a second wave when winter approaches the Northern Hemisphere.

Public education is an important line of defense. People at all levels of society must be informed about A H1N1 and how to avoid human-to-human transmission through respiratory droplets. The measures are simple: Practice good personal hygiene, cover the mouth while coughing, not spit indiscriminately, wash hands frequently, avoid crowded places, stay home if you feel unwell and consult healthcare professionals for suspicious symptoms.

Footnote 1

What's the difference between Regular Flu & Swine Flu (H1N1)?

The initial symptoms are the same, however, with Novel H1N1 (2009 Swine Flu), within five days it is possible to have the onset of severe respiratory symptoms that progress to pneumonia or other life-threatening complications.

Footnote 2

Normal flu kills more human beings that H1N1. If anyone is really worried about the world more people die from stupid diseases like stomach infections, malaria and other things that would be unthinkable in rich countries.

Of course if you add up all the diseases from the past there will be equivocally a higher mortality rate than this new form of flu but the threat of this new flu is a real concern.