Best 2d Mario Platformer?

MBJ

Best 2D Mario Platformer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best 2D Mario platformer?

• Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES)
    • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
    • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    • Super Mario Land (GB)
    • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
    • Super Mario World (SNES)
    • New Super Mario Bros. (DS)

A poll in honor of today's release of "New Super Mario Bros." for Nintendo DS.

Let me know if I am forgetting any games. I tried to stick to (as the poll title indicates) 2D Mario platformers. This means 2D platform games with Mario as the main character. This is why I have excluded such classics as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, the Wario Land series, and Super Mario 64.

I personally voted for Super Mario Bros. 3. IMHO, it offered the greatest variety of levels and the most challenge of all these games. Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. are a tie for second in my book. The reason for this is that they took the difficulty down a notch by giving you a reserve item and too many 1-up opportunities. One thing that I think that most games in the series could have benefited from are harder bosses. Most SMB series bosses can be easily beaten in under 30 seconds (sometimes under 7 seconds).

Mario 3 was hands down one of the biggest and most exciting launches I remember. That was back when I entered in the 1989 World Championships.

I also think Super Mario World might take a strong second, and if I could vote twice, I'd vote for that one as well. Huge game, and a lot of secrets, plus the updated graphics.

Guest tpoff

My vote went to SMB3, but I really would like to have been able to choose SMW. The problem is that SMW just isn't hard enough. The only really challenging levels were the eight or so that you get after you beat star road, and those just aren't enough. I'm aware that there are hacks of SMW that provide harder levels, but the ones I've tried are pretty poor. Has anyone any suggestions as to a good hack to play, perchance?

SMB3, closely followed by SMW. Pretty much every kid back then knew the game by heart from start to finish, plus the many secrets and a thousand rumors. The glee of finding that hammer suit, only to play it for 30 seconds before losing it because it was such a steaming pile of dung, but it was all about the skill and knowledge required to find that coveted powerup. Good times!