Marvel Comics Purchased By Disney For $4 Billion (Stan Lee Last Seen At Bank Exclaiming 'excelsior!')

triverse

Seems the house of Marvel is not safe from the almighty merger.  The X-Men couldn't fend off the mouse and his gang as they came in, plopped down enough cash to choke the Incredible Hulk and have purchased Marvel, lock stock and Juggernaut.  Yes folks, Disney now owns Marvel Comics, all that is left to do is wait for some kind of verification from the antitrust committees and it will be final and done.

What does this mean for comic readers?  Probably not much will change really, Marvel will probably be allowed to operate as a separate entity from Disney and continue doing what turned it into such a valuable asset.  

500xmarvel01.jpg

Games may be different as now this opens a whole new can of worms for games like Kingdom Hearts (could you imagine a level, or whole world, based on the Danger Room?).  Some licenses already in place are possibly in jeopardy such as the deal Sega has for Iron Man and the licenses that Activision holds.

Original source and picture credit:  Kotaku.com

My guess is that the deal left all outstanding licenses in place. I can't imagine Marvel dropping the lease with Sega in a situation like this. I highly doubt any of the licenses will be renewed.

Now --

MARVEL v. DISNEY II (because a title that epic skips the first one all together)

EVERYONE has been waiting for this. Iron Man take a frying pan to the head from Minnie Mouse...

But yes, I bet we can garuntee that Kingdom Hearts III will be a lot more interesting now.

I wonder if they will revisit some older storylines like Arcade (where he took the X-Men, X-Caliber and other members of the X family and put them in his arcade of death but now without having to use facsimiles of Disney characters...

Take this idea and make it a Combination Disney/Square game, make it an RPG, and you have yourself a game that will sell better then Kingdom Hearts.

Take this idea and make it a Combination Disney/Square game, make it an RPG, and you have yourself a game that will sell better then Kingdom Hearts.

I agree.  I want to get a PS2 again just for the Kingdom Hearts games (I had KH1 but had to part with most of my stuff at one point).  It would be awesome to see what they could come up with for say, KH4 or something (aren't they already on part 3?).

• Retromags Curator

This just in:

Microsoft to purchase DC!

Maybe I should start a comic book company while all the big guns are in the interest of acquiring studios left and right...I could use a few billion dollars too, ya know. :)

*huggles*

Areala

(edit: And while this post is an absolute joke, who doesn't think that it would rock to see a game officially branded as "Microsoft vs. Disney"? No, really?) :)

Lookout for the marvel comic ride at Disneyland.

Sadly this is probably a long ways off. At least for the Florida Disney (world) because Universal still owns the rights to a ton of great characters "as long as they use them for attractions" and stay east of the Mississippi. From my reading of the agreement, nothing really stops Disney (land) from making a ride...other then the fact they have been working on their new "Cars" land (with a wicked rollercoaster ride that is suppose to be revolutionary on many levels) for about 4 years. I highly doubt they are going to stop that to make a marvel ride. It would be INSANE to make a Marvel ride based on that technology though.