The Files In The Big Torrent

jeffjenx

Here's what's in the the "big torrent":

Fun Club News Volumes: 1, 4, 5

Nintendo Power Volumes: 1-83, 86, 88, 93-102, 111 (missing poster), 112, 113-119 (missing posters), 120, 121-122 (missing posters & covers), 123-127 (missing posters), 128 (missing poster & cover), 129-130 (missing posters), 132-134, 135-136 (missing posters & covers), 137 (missing poster), 138-139 (missing posters & covers), 140 (missing poster), 141, 143-145 (missing posters)

Supplements:

Captain 'N' Volumes 1-7

Zelda Tips & Tactics

Howard & Nester Volumens 1-55

Game Pak Directory

Mario 2 Inside Out Parts 1 & 2

Dragon Warrior Strategy

World Of Nintendo

Pak Source

Classified Information

Super Mario Adventures (32-43)

Zelda 3 Comics (32-43)

Zelda 3 Strategy

StarFox Comics (45-55)

Mario Vs. Wario Comics (45, 56)

Link's Awakening Strategy

Super Metroid Comics (57-61)

Super Metroid Strategy

Thanks for the summary. It's good to have it here in the forum.

***This post will be updated daily until the torrent completes. New entries will be marked by an asterisk*.***

To add to that, here's what's complete in the swarm as of 8:45 PM EST on Tuesday, May 23rd:

Fun Club News Volumes: 1, 4, 5

Nintendo Power Volumes: 1-5*, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19*, 20, 37-45, 48-50*, 58, 64-67, 93*, 100*, 145

Supplements:

Captain 'N' Volumes 1-7

Zelda Tips & Tactics

Howard & Nester Volumens 1-55

Game Pak Directory

Dragon Warrior Strategy*

Mario 2 Inside Out Parts 1 & 2

World Of Nintendo

Pak Source

Classified Information

Super Mario Adventures (32-43)

Zelda 3 Comics (32-43)

Zelda 3 Strategy

StarFox Comics (45-55)

Mario Vs. Wario Comics (45, 56)

Link's Awakening Strategy

Super Metroid Comics (57-61)

Super Metroid Strategy

The rest will be in the swarm eventually but it may be nice for some to know which complete files are being uploaded by more peers than the original seed at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or is the contrast on these scans in the big torrent set a bit too high? Check the Classified Information pullout to see what I mean. On the first scan, the Nintendo Seal of Quality stamp has been destroyed somewhat - it's like looking at direct sunlight almost, makes you want to squint. :-\

Is it me or is the contrast on these scans in the big torrent set a bit too high? Check the Classified Information pullout to see what I mean. On the first scan, the Nintendo Seal of Quality stamp has been destroyed somewhat - it's like looking at direct sunlight almost, makes you want to squint. :-\

I think if it was much darker you would lose the detail in the fake black leather printing.

And "these scans in the big torrent" were done by many people, so it's best not to generalize. KMFDM scanned the most and edited all his own scans (let's hear it for him :clap: ) but I edited most of the early scans (even scanned a few ;) ). Everyone who contributed to this project gave the best they could, mabey you would like to help on the next mag.

I think if it was much darker you would lose the detail in the fake black leather printing.

I have an older scan of that pullout I mentioned and I compared it to the one in the big torrent, and yes, it's darker, but the detail isn't as destroyed. I'd have thought that the clarity of the Nintendo quality seal logo would be a good indicator of the overall quality of the scans, and whether or not this high contrast alteration is actually improving or worsening them. Strangely enough, it's also half the file size than the high contrast one. Minor niggles maybe.

The Nintendo Power 032-043 - Zelda 3 Comics which were included with the big torrent are strangely 250% bigger in file size than the ones I have, and the ones I have are much larger and higher in quality scans. I think maybe this contrast adjustment is a big contributor to an unnecessary inflation in file size.

I'd also like to mention that there's a few omissions from this big torrent:

Nintendo Power XXX - Mini Guide - Pikmin (2001) (EN)

Nintendo Power XXX - Mario Mania Player's Guide (1991) (EN)

Nintendo Power XXX - Game Boy Player's Guide (19xx) (EN)

Any ideas as to which issues those 3 were supplemented from?

Nintendo Power XXX - Mini Guide - Pikmin (2001) (EN)

Nintendo Power XXX - Mario Mania Player's Guide (1991) (EN)

Nintendo Power XXX - Game Boy Player's Guide (19xx) (EN)

Any ideas as to which issues those 3 were supplemented from?

not sure about Pikmin, but Mario Mania and Game Boy were not supplements - they were separate guides published by Nintendo Power and were subscription incentives (as were the other Player Guides, although I think they were also sold in stores). I remember that I got NES Atlas, Game Boy, Mario Mania, Super NES and Zelda 3 when I renewed in 1991, Top Secret Passwords when I renewed in 1992, and Mario Paint when I renewed in 1993, and they were going to send me Super Metroid if I subscribed again in 1994, but by that point I was getting fed up and let it expire.