Requesting Motivated Members To Help Out!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Over the past few weeks I have been putting some items in place that will give Retromags a solid foundation. These items are going to make Retromags the best website for you guys. Some of these items are huge undertakings if I do them by myself, so I am asking the members of Retromags to step forward and lend a hand. Once these items are in place, they will only need minor maintenance to keep in check. I realize that not everyone has the ability to scan magazines, edit magazines or even donate funds in this crappy economy. I do believe that everyone on this site has the ability to donate a few minutes of there week so that Retromags can continue to provide magazines! So what do we need help with?

First, we need some more Moderators, I would like to assign a moderator to each section of this website. The duties of being a Moderator would be to keep spam out of your designated section, and post a few topics of interest each week. I also need a Front Page Moderator, the only duty you would be tasked with would be to do the Weekly Update thread each Sunday Night. I also need Advertisement Moderators, who would be tasked with finding 5-10 advertisements from our 500+ magazines and posting the ads in their section. None of these positions require more than 35 minutes per week!

Second, we need Project Leaders! We have 60+ sections on the Project Tracker......each of these sections needs to be filled out with issues. These sections need anywhere from 30-150 issues added! I was able to complete out the Nintendo Power Project (125 issues) in roughly 2 hours the other night. It only takes about 5 seconds to add each entry, this position will take about 30-90 minutes per project!

Third, I have started uploading our ENTIRE magazine collection to MegaUpload! I need someone that can go through our existing Download Manager and add the links to each magazine! This will allow our users to have multiple options when downloading our releases. We have about 550 links to add, each link takes 7 seconds to add!

Fourth, I still stand by my original dream of finding 20 dedicated members who can scan 1 magazine per month! If Retromags was able to find just 20 dedicated members out of our current 3500 members, we would be popping out 4-5 new releases per week (240 per year). Imagine each year our collection growing by 240 magazines, this is such an obtainable goal. Sure you may be able to scan more.....but I would rather you scan less and prevent burnout. The time it takes me to scan 1 magazine is about 2 hours, if you debind the issue.....you can save time off of the editing.

Fifth, I appreciate any traffic you can direct to Retromags. Feel free to submit stories about us to your Blog, Digg or other favorite websites. You never know who you may refer to Retromags!

Sixth, We need an ambassador to UnderGround-Gamer. Your only task would be to move new entries over to UG as they come into Retromags.

I am hoping that a few of our members will step forward.....send me a PM if you can help in any of the above areas!

-Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Unless Eday wants the job, I'll take on being GamePro's project leader and oversee the tasks that need to be completed. I'll also commit to uploading at least 1 mag per month.

Thank you kbf_private_joker!

Each project can have multiple leaders, the end goal for the Tracker is this....

1) Have each project filled out with issues up to December 1999

2) Set the correct status for each issue

3) Any issues that are currently in our Download Manager, should have links provided from the tracker to the download page

4) All issues in the tracker should have covershots, I think it will help in our quest for magazines. Its easier to look through the tracker and notice a familiar cover, than a issue number

Thanks for committing to my dream of 20, I too will be joining in on this goal......18 more members to go! Oh and before E-day asks....yes you can scan all 12 at once, and then release them 1 at a time for a year :P

• Retromags Curator

I'm on the computer all day at work. Any way I can help with during that time?

http://www.retromags.com/pages/Help/Staff_Positions.html

You could become a moderator of a certain section of the forums, doesn't take much more than 30 minutes a week....or you can help us add items to the Project tracker, its boring but dead easy :)

I make no gaurantees as to how many and when because I scan in phases when my time is optimal but I will be a dedicated scanner on the grounds that any scans I do, I will not be barred in any way if I also post them on outofpringarchive or give them permission to use my scans. I'm in it for the love of the games and I'm hoping we can overcome our pride and egos to establish a proper sanctuary for these mags. It doesn't matter the site or the means, we shouldn't lose touch as to why we're all here doing this.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I make no gaurantees as to how many and when because I scan in phases when my time is optimal but I will be a dedicated scanner on the grounds that any scans I do, I will not be barred in any way if I also post them on outofpringarchive or give them permission to use my scans. I'm in it for the love of the games and I'm hoping we can overcome our pride and egos to establish a proper sanctuary for these mags. It doesn't matter the site or the means, we shouldn't lose touch as to why we're all here doing this.

Nope, I covered this on the front page. Members who submit scans over at Retromags.....are free to submit them over at OutofPrintArchive if they wish. Now I have not seen rules posted over at OOPA yet, so I can not speak for the reverse, but I would expect that they would be on the same page.

Nope, I covered this on the front page. Members who submit scans over at Retromags.....are free to submit them over at OutofPrintArchive if they wish. Now I have not seen rules posted over at OOPA yet, so I can not speak for the reverse, but I would expect that they would be on the same page.

Count me in as a scanner for sure. I too contribute scans to another site so am very happy with Phillyman's openess regarding making them available elsewhere.

I am on Underground-Gamer so if I can get my head around making torrents I could probably help out with uploading of our mags over there. Or with seeding etc ...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• Retromags Curator

I'd love to help out with the ads. Aside from what we've got in the already scanned mags, I've got tons of old comics that I think has some ads not featured in gaming mags that I can scan....

Very Awesome, The Advertisement section is a fun one to do......I am working on a How To Guide for this.....I will be in touch :Yahooo:

Very Awesome, The Advertisement section is a fun one to do......I am working on a How To Guide for this.....I will be in touch :Yahooo:

Excellent! I'm looking forward to it!

Not to put pressure on you - I know you're pretty busy - but I'll be off next week so I'll have time to devote to the project if everything's set to go. If not, no worries!