Which Magazine Should We Scan More Of?

Phillyman

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Magazine Should We Scan More Of?

• EGM
    • Nintendo Power
    • GamePro
    • Diehard GameFan
    • Game Informer
    • Electronic Games
    • Other (Please specify below)

I wanna see more pre-crash stuff. Hell, send me the blip magazines and I'll scan 'em, and save you the shelf space by keeping them. :)

But hell, I love all things early 80s.

• Retromags Curator

I wanna see more pre-crash stuff. Hell, send me the blip magazines and I'll scan 'em, and save you the shelf space by keeping them. :)

But hell, I love all things early 80s.

Precrash was before my time, I think I started video gaming in 86/87? I started off with an Atari 2600.....and remember my parents getting me games for $0.50 - $1 back then. So must have been after the crash or near the NES coming out. I will get those Blips scanned, dont worry about that ;)

• Retromags Curator

I voted EGM, since the section is a bit bare with all the RAW scans removed and those terrible scans by azzardx. Once I am done scanning my magazines, I can try to salvage the EGMs you ran through the ADF, or you can rescan them on the flatbed ;)

I think the best route is to just rescan on the flatbed, with a piece of construction paper to prevent bleeding

• Retromags Curator

YES! Then consider me the editor of those. No need to crop them or anything. Just scan the entire scanning bed at 300 dpi. that way it will be much wider than 1440 and 1600, so it will give me room to play with cropping and editing.

I have a few things I want to release out to raise spirits around here...

GameFan Issue 4 (needs to stay bound so I can resell it for $50)

GamePro Issue 3 (will lay flat on the scanner)

GamePro Issue 4 (will lay flat on the scanner)

Game Informer (not sure what the earliest issue I have)

EGM Issue 0 (This will lay flat)

EGM Issue 7 (Scanning this now)

But I have a banker box full of debound pages, my girl will love me if I rescan them and trash them finally :)

I would love to see some amiga mags, just dug out my old 1200.

I have a lot of Amiga Format magazines which I am in the process of scanning so expect to see them as I get them done.

I am looking at the budget to see if I can afford an A3 scanner which would cut the time needed to get them scanned in half.

Personally, old gaming magazines from the Commodore/Atari/Amstrad days are my thing. I have truckloads of old Atari mags .....

Interestingly, in talking to other site scanners recently a couple aren't too keen on making their scans available here due to the perception that this site is game console oriented because of the lack of anything else here. So I am on a personal crusade to change that perception.

• Like 1

I have a lot of Amiga Format magazines which I am in the process of scanning so expect to see them as I get them done.

I am looking at the budget to see if I can afford an A3 scanner which would cut the time needed to get them scanned in half.

Personally, old gaming magazines from the Commodore/Atari/Amstrad days are my thing. I have truckloads of old Atari mags .....

Interestingly, in talking to other site scanners recently a couple aren't too keen on making their scans available here due to the perception that this site is game console oriented because of the lack of anything else here. So I am on a personal crusade to change that perception.

A man after my own heart, I have noticed that you have scanned a couple of Amiga Format magazines already :notworthy: , but as yet I don't have enough posts to directly download them (but working on it :Yahooo: ), used to have loads of amiga mags back in the day but as so many others I read em and dumped em :sad:

A man after my own heart, I have noticed that you have scanned a couple of Amiga Format magazines already notworthy.gif , but as yet I don't have enough posts to directly download them (but working on it Yahooo.gif ), used to have loads of amiga mags back in the day but as so many others I read em and dumped em sad.gif

Hey ... no worries. Phillyman will get them up on megaupload as soon as he has the time and you'll be able to grab them as a free user anyway. Just takes time ....

I have 30+ Amiga Format's still to scan so expect to see more along with a heap of Atari Format's as well.

• 1 month later...

Definitely more Game Player's and VG&CE!

Geez .... I didn't think this thread would come to life again over two months later.

Personally I think this should have been posted under the title "What should Phillyman scan next?" or something like that as "Which magazine should WE scan more of" implies everyone scanning mags is going to process whatever is voted the most popular. So I find it tends to make me want to stop scanning when all the consolers are clamoring for EGM or Nintendo Power etc and no-one seems to care that there was a gaming world before the NES/SMS, one where some of the best games ever created appeared on the C-64, Atari's, Amiga's etc. I don't normally bother about this type of thing but as I have had a couple of scanners of old magazines recently say this site is too game console oriented and that they dont want their scans made available here because of it these types of all-encompassing posts don't help further the cause that much..... I thought that being to preserve ALL retro gaming mags ...

Maybe I am wrong?

Geez .... I didn't think this thread would come to life again over two months later.

Personally I think this should have been posted under the title "What should Phillyman scan next?" or something like that as "Which magazine should WE scan more of" implies everyone scanning mags is going to process whatever is voted the most popular. So I find it tends to make me want to stop scanning when all the consolers are clamoring for EGM or Nintendo Power etc and no-one seems to care that there was a gaming world before the NES/SMS, one where some of the best games ever created appeared on the C-64, Atari's, Amiga's etc. I don't normally bother about this type of thing but as I have had a couple of scanners of old magazines recently say this site is too game console oriented and that they dont want their scans made available here because of it these types of all-encompassing posts don't help further the cause that much..... I thought that being to preserve ALL retro gaming mags ...

Maybe I am wrong?

LOL Ignore these young pups and stick to what you care about.

LOL Ignore these young pups and stick to what you care about.

Yeah ... but it sorta grates when you spend hours compiling and uploading old magazines and all you hear around here is "When will the next Nintendo Power be available?" etc. Don't get me wrong ... most sites with magazine torrents like underground-gamer show similar statistics with older stuff rather poorly seeded in comparison to the X-brick and Gaystation mag torrents. It just seems to just be a sign of the times I guess. But it does make one question whether the effort of scanning older magazines is even worth it. I have the original mags after all so it isn't like I need to scan them for my own benefit at the end of the day.

Sorry for being somewhat negative. But I've uploaded 60+ mags lately with barely a word sent my way from anyone so these sorts of topics tend to make me a tad irritable. To such an extent that the UK Superplay's mags on my shelf won't be scanned .... ever!!!

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better I never voted on this thread because there was no option "I'll take what I can get".

I think once the rep system is put in place in the download section, uploaders and team members such as yourself will see an increase in reputation.

Reputation doesn't even come into the equation Jake.

Knowing that people appreciate it when you upload older mags makes the hours slaving over the scanner/PC worthwhile. But the grim reality is that I have had more hits from the rapidshare freeloader links than I have had comments from members here therefore I have to face the hard realities that old Atari and Amiga mags which I have a personal affinity for are just not the sort of things that have a following here. As such I find myself in the situation where the time spent just isn't worth it. So I am working as fast as I can to get the Analog Computings finished and I have a contributor providing me with ENTER magazines as well and when they are all uploaded I'll probably call it quits. While some may think I'm just being a whinger they are probably the sort of people that have absolutely no idea just how much effort it takes to get a mag up here. At this point I am probably just better off spending the time trying to fix my IBM laptop that died the other day rather than beating a dead horse so to speak.

• Like 1

You also have to appreciate the fact that nobody has these magazines or knows how to or wants to scan them. There's a load of excuses not to upload magazines; laziness, lack of know-how, poor equipment and the fact that we can't upload files larger than 64 MB's. That seems to drive away those who would even consider it.

As for recognition, I'am impressed by the dedication you and other members, a couple that don't come here anymore, have in providing the blood of this website which are high quality magazines. I consider myself old-school because I used to play Atari, but in reality I was far too young to appreciate old computers like the Amiga. It wasn't mainstream for a kid to get one for his birthday. The ones who were old enough at the time to demand an Amiga have grown up and left that part of their life behind but that doesn't mean your style isn't appreciated. These people just haven't discovered Retromags yet.

As for the leachers, unfortunately, this is the way of the net. Every kid nowadays wants everything for nothing.

• Retromags Curator

In a way, Kiwi, you've provided your own argument for exactly WHY you should worry about scanning what you have been working on. When everybody wants a new Nintendo Power or GamePro or whatever, it'll show up by somebody else at some point. But me, I want to read the stuff I never have the chance to look at when I was younger. The fact that nobody else out there seems to have the magazines that you have, or at least is not willing to take the time to scan them, is precisely the reason why we need people like you to do so. :)

Scanning and distributing anything is a largely thankless task. I should know, I contributed a heap of manuals to ReplacementDocs, and while they don't take as long to scan and compile as a magazine, I've done a few that took me quite a lot of work, and despite the fact that they've been downloaded close to 500 times apiece, I've not once received a comment or message from a downloader thanking me for the work to preserve them. Par for the course on the Internet, sadly.

The flipside of that, of course, is knowing that I helped nearly 500 people acquire something that they needed but maybe didn't have the means to acquire. That is entirely worth it to me, but my feelings are mine and not yours. All I can say is that I'm so very, very glad you are doing the work you are doing, and the site would be sorely lacking in some very unique content that isn't available anywhere else if it wasn't for your hard work and dedication. :)

For what it's worth, I'd give my two front teeth to be able to have some Super Play UK mags on my shelf, and I'm hoping that they do wind up in our archive at some point, given that the SNES is my favorite console of all time. If they don't, I completely understand your point of view. But the more time goes by, the harder these will be to come by for the people, like myself, who really would appreciate seeing them. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Hey KiwiArcader, just wanted to let you know that all your hard work is definitely appreciated.

Growing up, I never read any of the Amiga or Atari magazine's (I was more into console's at the time) but I have no doubt that there are many people at Retromags who really enjoy all the magazine's that you're scanning.

Incidentally, back in the 80's I had a Sinclair Spectrum and I would have killed to get my hand's on an Amiga, such a cool machine.

Anyway Kiwi, thank's again for all your effort and I hope you continue scanning your magazine's in the future. :)