KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

KiwiArcader

Hi everyone,

Now that I am back from "exile" I am once again in the scanning mood and ready to contribute magazines from my collection of old magazines. As such expect to see a lot of Atari and Amiga magazines over the coming months. Titles include Atari or Amiga Format, ANTIC [one of which has already been uploaded] and Computer Gamer, C&VG and The Games Machine issues.

I have also just uploaded some magazines I previously submitted that were deleted after I left last time.

If any old-timers like gizmomelb have any particular issues they want scanned feel free to contact me and I'll see what I can do to fulfil the request. smile.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amiga Format Issue 002 completed & submitted ...

I have just ordered a Brother MFC-6890CDW A3 all-in-one and pick it up later today.

Once I have got the ANALOG scans out of the way I can start work on scanning the oversize Amiga/Superplay magazines and processing normal size mags 2 pages at a time so it should decrease the work time by almost half. Yippee !!!!

• Like 1

Got my A3 scanner/printer yesterday. What a big bugger the A3 footprint makes these things.

Haven't done much with it yet but I did scan a complete ANALOG issue in under 15 minutes which is great stuff indeed. Don't forget .... I haven't had a sheet feed scanner before today and I personally don't like cutting my magazines up unlike Phillyman.

The incredible aging of these ANTIC issues means it'll be a few days while I clean it up as best as possible before releasing it.

I am sure there will be something annoying about the device that will rear its ugly head. Who has heard of a perfect scanner after all. Like everything it will just be a case of working around any issues although it looks good so far.

• Like 1

A3 is 11 3/4 by 16 1/2 inches. That would make it easier to scan 2 pages at once. I have trouble scanning our phonebook because our scanner is about 8.5 by 11.5 inches.

After your machine is warmed and ready, how long does it take to scan and save to a memory card before it's ready to start the next scan. Mine is about 20 seconds.

A3 is 11 3/4 by 16 1/2 inches. That would make it easier to scan 2 pages at once. I have trouble scanning our phonebook because our scanner is about 8.5 by 11.5 inches.

After your machine is warmed and ready, how long does it take to scan and save to a memory card before it's ready to start the next scan. Mine is about 20 seconds.

The specs of this are ...

http://www.brother-u...890CDW&tab=spec

I think I read somewhere that with 300dpi colour scanning it takes 4 seconds to scan a page. It doesn't seem to have any appreciatiable warm up time either. I think it takes close to your 20 seconds though to scan A3 and be ready for the next. Haven't had a big enough play with it as yet.

The big thing for me is scanning 2x A4 pages at one go PLUS the ability to scan oversize magazines. I have a lot of Amiga/Atari Format magazines that are larger than A4 in size so were unable to be easily scanned. Amiga World's are another where they made them almost square. What a pain to reproduce. This sorts those issues out once and for all. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Compiled and uploaded all but 6 issues of H. Frank Kowatari's Analog Computing magazine's to the site. Expect the last six in the next day or so. That leaves issues 1-22 missing.

[uPDATE] I have just received permission from ThumpNugget who scanned the first 22 issues to make these available here as well. This allows us to have the complete collection of Analog Computing magazines for visitors to this site. Great news indeed.

I have scanned 6 issues of my Antic magazine collection for the Atari 8-bit computers. Just need to clean them up so will get onto that soon.

Won a 90+ magazine collection on a local auction site. Includes 33 Games master magazines dating back to 1998 and some Nintendo and Playstation mags but until I get them I cannot say exactly what is in the box.

• Like 1

The large lot of magazines I won turned up yesterday. Alas, the majority of magazines fall in the 2000-2009 bracket so cannot be used here. Nevertheless, I'll store them away for the time when they can be used and when I run out of pre-2000 stuff to scan I might just scan them anyway for the day they can be made available here.

Lots of Game Master mags, several Nintendo and Playstation mags of various types, Atomic's, and a few oddities like GBX etc. There are also a heap of Game Freak mags which are a free 20 page or so game handout at the Aus/NZ video shops. Being given away free makes you think whether or not they would be okay to scan given they were never sold at all. You could probably classify them as pure advertising ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work, I really don't know how you do it. As a child of the late 70's and early 80's your early computer magazines are much appreciated and I haven't said thank you yet. :)

My Favorite computer of all time was my Amiga 500. At the time, there was an elegance to the Amiga that made all other computers seem crude and awkward.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work, I really don't know how you do it. As a child of the late 70's and early 80's your early computer magazines are much appreciated and I haven't said thank you yet. smile.gif

My Favorite computer of all time was my Amiga 500. At the time, there was an elegance to the Amiga that made all other computers seem crude and awkward.

I appreciate the comments. It's nice to know someone else has an interest in the older glory days of Atari and Commodore when they dominated the gaming landscape .... especially in Europe and Australasia.

I will be getting onto the Amiga stuff very soon. The big thing stopping me earlier was that the later issues were bigger than A4 so couldn't be easily scanned but I now have an A3 scanner so that is no longer an issue. So expect to see some in the coming weeks biggrin.gif

Oh ... and yeah .... I still have 5 Atari ST's of various models, an Atari 800XL and 130XE .... and while I sold off my Amiga 500 & 2000 long ago I still love what that machine could do. Pre-emptive multi-taking in a few hundred KB's at a time when DOS was it for PC's speaks volumes for their capabilities even now.

• Like 1

Just an update to advise that I have now made Rapidshare links available for PDF versions of almost all Analog Computing magazines submitted to this site to date. Last few are in the process of being uploaded at the present time..

** UPDATE ** All magazines now have Rapidshare links. Now I will compile and upload the missing 21 issues for the complete set smile.gif

Just to advise that the PDF's do not included the thankyou page as I didn't scan the original pages personally and they are for use on a different site but I thought it important to make them available for the general masses as soon as possible given the original scanners allowed me to use their scans on that basis. The CBR's on direct download are standard Retromag fare with the thankyou page and when they become available via Megaupload I will happily remove the PDF links. In the meantime you have a choice of which one to grab

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mags in progress are

Atari World 06 ... scanned 100/100 ... editing in progress

Antic Magazine .... 5 issues scanned 100% ... editing yet to be started.

ST Format 039 .... scanned 100% ... editing in progress

CVG Issue 081 .... scanned 100% ... editing in progress

Amiga Format 097 .... scanned 100% ... editing yet to be started.

UPDATE ...

Amiga Format 098 ... Uploaded

New Atari User 047 ... Uploaded

Computer & Video Games 053 ... Uploaded

Computer & Video Games 069 ... Uploaded

Computer Gamer 014 ... Uploaded

• 2 weeks later...

Mags in progress are

Antic Magazine .... 5 issues scanned 100% ... editing yet to be started

Atari World 06 ... Uploaded

ST Format 039 .... scanned 100% ... editing in progress

CVG Issue 081 .... Uploaded

Amiga Format 097 .... scanned 100% ... editing in progress

CVG Issue 052 .... scanned 100%

Computer Gamer Issue 019 .... scanned 29/100

All work has halted at this point in time pending a discussion with Phillyman.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay .... so I won a rather large magazine auction the other day and I thought I'd show everyone how much work I now have backed up....

magcollection.jpg

The pile in the bookcase is my current collection while the stacks on the ground are the new lot I won. Most are pre-2000 so you can see I have my work cut out for me for the next millenium or so blink.gif

Excuse the grunge carpet. Beggars can't be choosers when trying to keep the Man-cave warm in winter.

• Retromags Curator

Hahaha .... and there's another 100+ to come when I get around to picking them up

Anybody else notice that if you lay in bed at night, really really still, with your eyes closed, and you concentrate on blanking your mind completely, you can hear Kiwi's scanner screaming in agony and torment? ;)

*huggles*

Areala

I request all the covers of those magazine! Wait, how many sections will I need to create huh.gif

ROFLMAO!!!! I can hardly type right about now.

Let me know what Mort provided then I can work out what we have and don't have vs what I have on the shelf ...

But I'm soooooo busy cleaning up the download area & getting PDF's online for the existing stuff that I feel may never get back to scanning ...