KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

KiwiArcader

My brother from Maryland, DC flew into New Zealand for a flying visit this weekend and brought me two issues of PC Gamer (USA) from two BIG boxes he received from someone a year ago to see if I wanted them. Boy oh boy I sure do I said and I gave him $150US to ship as many as he can from the boxes in his basement. I have scanned one of those he brought over which is issue 119.

This was still in it's subscription wrapper, unopened and with the CD-Rom demo disc. I'll get the disc archived over at Archive.org when I work out the best software to ISO it.

119.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KiwiArcader said:

My brother from Maryland, DC flew into New Zealand for a flying visit this weekend and brought me two issues of PC Gamer (USA) from two BIG boxes he received from someone a year ago to see if I wanted them. Boy oh boy I sure do I said and I gave him $150US to ship as many as he can from the boxes in his basement. I have scanned one of those he brought over which is issue 119.

Wait, where? (Maryland? DC? Right on the border between the two? :lol:)

But that's not important right now.  What IS important is knowing what's in those boxes.  Are they ALL PC Gamers? :w00t: 

Yep.  That's Maryland.  DC isn't part of it, but once again, that isn't important.:)

I'll be honest.  I have an enormous box of PC Gamers in storage, so most of the issues that have been scanned (or will be scanned) are issues I already own.  However, it's pretty much my favorite mag (that I still own), so I don't plan on ever ripping it to shreds to scan it, not when I have hundreds of other mags that aren't as special to me that I can scan instead.  However, as I said, they're in storage, so every issue that gets scanned is an issue that I can read whenever I want, not just during the week or two each year I visit the States. 

So, 40 pounds of PC Gamer set to be scanned in the future?  Callooh callay, chortle I in my joy.

Computer Games issue 191 is now available. 

This issue is impaired as six pages (five advertising & one editorial) were torn from the issue. I used the stubs of the pages to determine three of the advertising pages and substituted them from other magazines with the same content however two adverts remain missing along with an editorial article (not game reviewing content). If someone has this issue and can provide the missing scans let me know. Nevertheless it's still a great read :)

191.jpg

• Like 1

Okay .... update time. Specifically, my brother has shipped out one box of PC Gamer magazines so I expect to see it on my doorstep in the next week or so. Shipping came to a staggering $170US so I expect there will be a good number of issues in that lot unless they are those early monster sized issues in which we might only get five. :D

Once I have those scanned along with the Computer Games: Strategy Plus issues I'll try and get the funds together to ship the second box out. Note that my wife is somewhat irritated that I seemingly have MORE magazines in the house now than when I started the scanning gig. Just between us I think she's right. That's after scanning approximately 900 mags too!! Oh man!!! :o

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator
On 2/21/2017 at 3:14 AM, KiwiArcader said:

Okay .... update time. Specifically, my brother has shipped out one box of PC Gamer magazines so I expect to see it on my doorstep in the next week or so. Shipping came to a staggering $170US so I expect there will be a good number of issues in that lot unless they are those early monster sized issues in which we might only get five. :D

Once I have those scanned along with the Computer Games: Strategy Plus issues I'll try and get the funds together to ship the second box out. Note that my wife is somewhat irritated that I seemingly have MORE magazines in the house now than when I started the scanning gig. Just between us I think she's right. That's after scanning approximately 900 mags too!! Oh man!!! :o

When she brings it up, just tell your wife how lovely she is and how thankful you are that you married someone as wonderful and tolerant of your hobby as she is. Then break out the roses, bottle of wine, and subscription to "Weekly Chocolate Box". She will melt, and possibly offer to help you buy more magazines. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Please don't think I'm complaining about your ridiculously speedy McSpeed speed, but I've been meaning to ask: are you one of those guys that has a job that lets you get away with scanning and editing magazines all day, or do you actually do all of this in your "free" time?  Because if you're doing all of this from home I sure hope you take time every now and then to get out of the house and grab a beer with some friends/the wife.  You deserve it, and nobody should spend all their free time staring at Photoshop.:)