KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

KiwiArcader

Gonna have to check out that RPG article.  I started out with old school DOS RPGs, and although I also played console RPGs on the NES and SNES, it wasn't until the PlayStation that I became enamored with the JRPG.  Over time, however, I began to realize just how limited the JRPG is as a genre and how very little it has evolved over the decades.  They really aren't that far removed from another popular Japanese genre, the visual novel, in that their main priority is telling a story in a mostly linear fashion, with the only difference being that in a JRPG you get to wander around a bit in between the dialogue segments.  I've definitely swung back to the western/PC RPG side of things in recent years as I feel the game design is so much stronger and allows for much more actual role-playing as opposed to simply watching a pre-scripted sequence of events unfold.  And old school RPGs are as fun as they ever were.  I'm currently playing Might and Magic III from 1991 and I'm enjoying it more than any console RPG I've played since Final Fantasy II/IV on the SNES.

Never really got into RPG's except the ones that blow up tanks in Battlefield 2 

Seriously though, the whole adventure thing was lost on me. I dallied around in Ultima Underworld because they felt somewhat like a slow moving FPS but I admit I did enjoy it. My main calling in the DOS era was flight sims. I sold my fully specced out Amiga 2000 system just so I could get a 386DX to play Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Probably THE worst mistake I ever made as although I loved the game I miss the Amiga 2000 more nowadays.

Ah yes, the Amiga.  Superior in every way to DOS computers until the VGA/sound card era finally rolled around, and yet still made hardly a blip in the US.  So although I'm aware of how most EGA games from the 80s had a superior Amiga version available, I've never actually played any or seen any played, since I never knew a single person who owned one. 

Flight sims were generally too hardcore for my tastes, although Chuck Yeager was one of the more casual-gamer-friendly ones.  I really enjoyed space combat sims like the X-Wing series, but those were of course much simpler to play than a hyper-realistic flight sim.

EDIT: Thank you, RM for automatically capitalizing and hyperlinking a word that happens to also be the title of a magazine.  It feels good to not have any control over what I'm saying and also Areala is the most awesome admin of any forum anywhere and we should all worship her while we have the opportunity.:rolleyes:

Edited by kitsunebi77
Demonstrating true lack of control over what Kitsunebi is saying, and did any of you guys notice my 25,000 likes? Everyone can't help but like me, but don't let that stop you from telling me again how awesome I am! -Areala ;)
  • Like 1

Well, let's see...what can I complain about this time...

I always thought that whole cell-shaded graphics fad was stupid, especially when applied to a game like XIII which is based on a comic that doesn't look anything remotely like the cell-shaded art in the game.  So actual art of Gandalf is an improvement.  Also, the black shadow behind the magazine title is actually visible on the newer cover, while the shadow on the old cover (if it's there) is impossible to see, making the logo look cheap, so the new cover is yet again an improvement.  Also no more tacky powerpoint-looking starburst in the top-right corner, like something on a discount-store flyer.  Hmm...improvement all around.

But wait, what's this?

A History of Computer RPGs from Ultima to Wizardry

"From Ultima to Wizardry?"  What the hell kind of range is that? 

I could see if it was "From Ultima to Morrowind" (or whatever was new at the time this mag came out) if they were suggesting a range based on release dates, but Ultima I and Wizardry I were both released in 1981, so it certainly isn't a chronological range. 

Or maybe if it said "From Arcanum to Wizardry" if they were going for alphabetical range, but Ultima and Wizardry are only separated by one letter, so that's not it either.

Nope, it's just stupid.

Unless of course it's just one part of a multi-part feature spread out over dozens of issues, and this issue just covers those two franchises, with the rest of the history of CRPGs being covered elsewhere, in which case, I apologize.  But I'm betting it's just stupid.

How was that, Kiwi?:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Is it okay to still use the direct download (read) part of the website ?  I realize that it was not updated, but I could catch up on older releases. I have the link and it still comes up.

Is there any chance of posting some (media fire?) folder links here to catch up on newer releases ? I did not get the Play 44 release before you went down.

Thank you, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry for the slowness getting back to you.

The new site is now kiwis.world but oldgamemags will resolve there as well as soon as things have settled down. As I am scanning diverse content I think OGM doesn't reflect what is now available on the site and if others want to add non-gaming specific titles (electronics/anime etc) I am all for it if they are out of publication and won't attract the ire of the publishers.

Still lots to do over there. I have all the download links back up and running but info on the magazines still need to be added as I find time. Same goes for getting cover scans added to the gallery but I'd rather get back into scanning mags and do updates to those as I can.

BTW, happy to hear marktrade is okay. Must have been some op to lay him low for a couple of months or more recuperating. Glad he's taking the time to get himself right. This is a hobby first and foremost and everything else should always come first. 

• Like 1