KiwiArcader

KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

269 posts in this topic

My brother from Maryland, DC flew into New Zealand for a flying visit this weekend and brought me two issues of PC Gamer (USA) from two BIG boxes he received from someone a year ago to see if I wanted them. Boy oh boy I sure do I said and I gave him $150US to ship as many as he can from the boxes in his basement. I have scanned one of those he brought over which is issue 119.

This was still in it's subscription wrapper, unopened and with the CD-Rom demo disc. I'll get the disc archived over at Archive.org when I work out the best software to ISO it.

119.jpg

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, KiwiArcader said:

My brother from Maryland, DC flew into New Zealand for a flying visit this weekend and brought me two issues of PC Gamer (USA) from two BIG boxes he received from someone a year ago to see if I wanted them. Boy oh boy I sure do I said and I gave him $150US to ship as many as he can from the boxes in his basement. I have scanned one of those he brought over which is issue 119.

Wait, where? (Maryland? DC? Right on the border between the two? :lol:)

But that's not important right now.  What IS important is knowing what's in those boxes.  Are they ALL PC Gamers? :w00t: 

He's an hour or so out of Washington DC which is in Maryland right?

And more to the point.... yes .... all PC Gaamers. He thought the boxes weighed around 20lb's each so I'm guessing there's a fair few issues in each box ;)

Yep.  That's Maryland.  DC isn't part of it, but once again, that isn't important.:)

I'll be honest.  I have an enormous box of PC Gamers in storage, so most of the issues that have been scanned (or will be scanned) are issues I already own.  However, it's pretty much my favorite mag (that I still own), so I don't plan on ever ripping it to shreds to scan it, not when I have hundreds of other mags that aren't as special to me that I can scan instead.  However, as I said, they're in storage, so every issue that gets scanned is an issue that I can read whenever I want, not just during the week or two each year I visit the States. 

So, 40 pounds of PC Gamer set to be scanned in the future?  Callooh callay, chortle I in my joy.

Not sure if anyone here is interested but Edge Magazine issue 193 is now available.

193.jpg

2 people like this

13 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

Not sure if anyone here is interested but Edge Magazine issue 193 is now available.

193.jpg

I may be quite alone in my thinking, but I loved everything about Heavy Rain. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Computer Pilot flies into the OGM digital bookshelf today with Vol. 05 Issue 06 now available. Pretty hardcore these are I must admit...

Vol.05-06.jpg

1 person likes this

Computer Games issue 191 is now available. 

This issue is impaired as six pages (five advertising & one editorial) were torn from the issue. I used the stubs of the pages to determine three of the advertising pages and substituted them from other magazines with the same content however two adverts remain missing along with an editorial article (not game reviewing content). If someone has this issue and can provide the missing scans let me know. Nevertheless it's still a great read :)

191.jpg

1 person likes this

Okay .... update time. Specifically, my brother has shipped out one box of PC Gamer magazines so I expect to see it on my doorstep in the next week or so. Shipping came to a staggering $170US so I expect there will be a good number of issues in that lot unless they are those early monster sized issues in which we might only get five. :D

Once I have those scanned along with the Computer Games: Strategy Plus issues I'll try and get the funds together to ship the second box out. Note that my wife is somewhat irritated that I seemingly have MORE magazines in the house now than when I started the scanning gig. Just between us I think she's right. That's after scanning approximately 900 mags too!! Oh man!!! :o

2 people like this

On 2/21/2017 at 3:14 AM, KiwiArcader said:

Okay .... update time. Specifically, my brother has shipped out one box of PC Gamer magazines so I expect to see it on my doorstep in the next week or so. Shipping came to a staggering $170US so I expect there will be a good number of issues in that lot unless they are those early monster sized issues in which we might only get five. :D

Once I have those scanned along with the Computer Games: Strategy Plus issues I'll try and get the funds together to ship the second box out. Note that my wife is somewhat irritated that I seemingly have MORE magazines in the house now than when I started the scanning gig. Just between us I think she's right. That's after scanning approximately 900 mags too!! Oh man!!! :o

When she brings it up, just tell your wife how lovely she is and how thankful you are that you married someone as wonderful and tolerant of your hobby as she is. Then break out the roses, bottle of wine, and subscription to "Weekly Chocolate Box". She will melt, and possibly offer to help you buy more magazines. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Nope. No way. She will happily take the chocolates then throw the box out along with my magazines into recycling. That or hit me on the head with the new cast she's sporting on her arm at present as a way of saying "buy any more mags and you're history....." :blink:

Computer Games issue 169 is now available over at OGM. Thank goodness the Fujitsu doesn't lose it with those fluoro/neon coloured covers  ...

169.jpg

1 person likes this

My PC Gamer (USA) package arrived yesterday. First off the scanner is issue 122

122.jpg

2 people like this

Please don't think I'm complaining about your ridiculously speedy McSpeed speed, but I've been meaning to ask: are you one of those guys that has a job that lets you get away with scanning and editing magazines all day, or do you actually do all of this in your "free" time?  Because if you're doing all of this from home I sure hope you take time every now and then to get out of the house and grab a beer with some friends/the wife.  You deserve it, and nobody should spend all their free time staring at Photoshop.:)

Free time only I am afraid.

I try and process one mag per day with options on a second per day if I don't need to do much editing. Has to fit it in with editing other peoples scans too which can be difficult I have to admit.

Jesus.  Not counting weekends, I'm lucky to have 2 or 3 hours of free time in a day.  I'd hate to spend all of it working on magazines.  Take a break sometime, eh?:)