KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

KiwiArcader

17 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

Hahaha ... Yeah, I was hoping you'd help me out with this. It is issue 618 on the back cover but I couldn't figure out which title it belonged to. Big flippin' issue though....

Thanks for your assistance.  It'll be online tomorrow  :notworthy:

*** UPDATE *** It's online now. I wish you'd scan some more of those mags kitsunebi77. I have to say I really like them, even if I can't read a word of what's in them. Japanese magazine art = fabulous. And some ads are works of art compared to most English ads ......

Well, look at it like this.  Famitsu is the most common, dirt-cheap gaming magazine there is to obtain in Japan (unless you're looking at issues from the 80s).  I've got boxes full of Famitsu and paid an average of maybe $0.60 per issue.  So for every Japanese mag I scan that ISN'T Famitsu, you're getting something much more rare and more expensive to come by.:)

Regarding the art, keep in mind that they really aren't very different from Western mags in how they handle things.  They use whatever promotional art the game companies give them.  It's just that Japanese game companies hire lots of professional artists from an enormous pool of talented people working in the anime and manga fields to do their character designs and promotional images, while Western game and magazine companies either use boring CG images or hire people without a modicum of artistic talent that are paid in hot dogs and malt liquor for their services.  Nevermind, I guess that is pretty different.

megs.jpgCsfs2dtXYAAxzzW.jpgPicture12png.jpg

Hey, Kiwi! Big fan of your work, hope this is the right place to ask this. Was just wondering if you had plans around the availability of the rest of the back issues of Hyper? Big fan of the magazine (hence the name), guessing you probably don't have access to issue 5 right now? Been looking around everywhere, wish I could help out! And with issues 188 and up, are they on sort of a time limited release or do you have plans to put them up soon? Either way, like I say, just curious, and again absolutely love your work! Thanks and again let me know if this isn't the right place to be asking this :)

Yeah, but SegaRetro have a nice list of issues in number order from 1 - 114 so I'm following that just because it's easy  :)

I'll try and make heads or tails of the weird numbering and include that in the quick description field for each issue. More interested in getting the mags scanned at this point in time ....

5 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

Yeah, but SegaRetro have a nice list of issues in number order from 1 - 114 so I'm following that just because it's easy  :)

I'll try and make heads or tails of the weird numbering and include that in the quick description field for each issue. More interested in getting the mags scanned at this point in time ....

If you want to know the truth of the matter, the first issue under the title "Dreamcast Magazine" (the one you scanned) is actually issue 234 (the mag is a continuation of and uses the same numbering system of Sega Saturn Magazine, Beep Megadrive, and Beep magazine before it).  The final issue of Dreamcast Magazine is issue 333, at which point it changes to Dorimaga magazine.  That's only 100 issues, so I'm not sure what Sega Retro is up to with their claim of 114.  They've got 110 issues available to download, so there definitely are some extra issues in there.  I assume there must be some special non-regular issues in there, but I haven't actually looked at them yet.  Sega Retro is usually fairly unreliable when it comes to properly documenting their Japanese mags (which is just one reason I don't use them as a resource when building our databases).

Don't worry, I'll sort them out correctly whenever I get around to adding them to the database.  Someday.:)

I told you I couldn't make heads or tails of Japanese numbering schemes.

Apart from a couple of English Nintendo magazines I don't think there's been a numbering system that crosses from one title to the next so I just used SegaRetro's numbering because they seem to have the issues in order. I think Cuckooguy sent me all bar one issue so I guess after I unpack all 8 boxes of mags I'll be able to advise how many I have to scan anyways.

Well, it's easy to see the issue numbers in the fine print on the back cover of every issue at Sega Retro.  I'm not gonna waste my time looking at them all until I add them to our database, but from a quick glance, the first issue that doesn't have an issue number is the one they have labeled issue 18.  It came with a GD-ROM, and is labeled as a special edition issue, so I assume there are others like it and all of the issues that shipped with a demo disc are not included as part of the magazine proper.

18 hours ago, hyperfan said:

Hey, Kiwi! Big fan of your work, hope this is the right place to ask this. Was just wondering if you had plans around the availability of the rest of the back issues of Hyper? Big fan of the magazine (hence the name), guessing you probably don't have access to issue 5 right now? Been looking around everywhere, wish I could help out! And with issues 188 and up, are they on sort of a time limited release or do you have plans to put them up soon? Either way, like I say, just curious, and again absolutely love your work! Thanks and again let me know if this isn't the right place to be asking this :)

Hiya,

Issues on Kiwis.World are released using a seven rule UNLESS they are available in digital versions through legitimate channels in which case I will not release them regardless of their age.

Generally, that means year 2009 issues or older are able to be released at this point in time so you should see Hyper issues up to 194 available as I upload them to Mediafire and add links to the site. Issues from 234 onward are available online from the publishers themselves so they will never be made available unless they are no longer available for purchase.

• Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Bwa-hahaha!  I didn't realize it affected the forums too! 

It looks like we're going to have to start creating all of our cover images in ASCII art.

....................../´¯/) 
....................,/¯../ 
.................../..../ 
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ 
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ 
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...') 
.........\.................'...../ 
..........''...\.......... _.·´ 
............\..............( 
..............\.............\...

:P

• 2 weeks later...