KiwiArcader

KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

Areala    25,516

I'd have liked much more, but I have reached my quota for likes today. *grumble grumble* Top-notch work, Kiwi! :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 2

KiwiArcader    471

By the sound of it the mag was first published as Strategy Plus before becoming Computer Games Strategy Plus then later Computer Games but I have no idea on when the name changes took place. I do have a member of my site who says he has almost a complete collection which he wants a hand with funds to help send them to me for scanning though so if I can sort it we might have a lot of these coming my way hopefully.

• Like 3

kitsunebi77    665

Computer Games: Strategy Plus issue 30 is now available .....I only have four issues left to scan before the well runs dry ….

Only 4 more? :o If you can close a deal with that guy who has the nearly complete collection, let me know and I'd be happy to help with the shipping.

• Like 1

KiwiArcader    471

I hasn't fallen through, but I haven't heard anything back from him either. So it's largely a wait and see if anything comes of it game at the present time.

Eleven issues released is eleven more than zero though ....

kitsunebi77    665

Absolutely, wasn't meaning to take anything away from your outstanding contributions. Hopefully he comes through. And my previous offer still stands, if that's all that's keeping him from sending them.

KiwiArcader    471

Absolutely, wasn't meaning to take anything away from your outstanding contributions.

Don't worry. I didn't think for a minute that was the case anyway. And I totally agree that if he doesn't come back so we can get these preserved it would indeed be a shame given the lack of them preserved at the present time. The balls in his court though so we wait and see if it pans out. I asked for a price to ship so I have an understanding of the costs. Until he provides it I have no idea if current donations will cover all or a percentage of it. I'll definitely keep you posted if I hear anything.

They're nice mags so yeah, I am dead keen to see more of them too :)

KiwiArcader    471

Okay. Quick update on the status of Computer Games: Strategy Plus.

Cameron's got back to me and shipping the mags is definitely still on. Just working through the process of costing out shipping a couple of different size boxes to New Zealand. Then it's just a case of PAYPAL'ing him the money for the shipping price that I can afford and hopefully the requisite box arrives a couple of weeks later.

Now if I could just get my brother to sort out the same for those PC Gamer (USA) mags he has at his house in MD......

• Like 1

marktrade    614

Good to hear about CGSP! Does Cameron happen to have any of the coverdiscs? I know you're not into those but if he's getting rid of them I might be able to make a home for them.

Also keep an eye on the database here for PC Gamer (USA) as I still acquire them every now and then.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Phillyman
      Next Generation Issue 020 August 1996
      COMPLETED!
      ETA = June 14/15 2007

• By kitsunebi77
      I feel kind of dumb starting one of these threads. I doubt there's going to be a lot of overlap with what I scan and other people's collections, so it shouldn't be necessary to make my progress known to anyone.

However, I figured this would be a good place for me to ask some questions to more experienced members.

1st: I just uploaded my scan of Famitsu 158 here:

https://mega.nz/#!FA5DCYwS!Y1zBRmvWZQPq9AbWrmL9-VMLkWHUpcIAkZWc5MYHoIY and added the download link to the database page. However, I don't see any download link. Is that something someone else has to approve before it shows up? (edit: I accidentally posted a link requiring a key at first. I replaced it with an unrestricted link, but it still doesn't show up on the database page)

2nd: related to the first, how does one go about posting an uploaded mag in the new releases category? The Famitsu database is 60 pages long. Without a new release post or a listing in the download section (yeah, how about that?), no one is ever gonna stumble across my user link by browsing through 60 pages of mostly (for now) blank entries.

3rd: This relates to my scan of Famitsu #1 which I haven't uploaded yet. I want some opinions first: The original mag sells for hundreds of dollars (or, like the last time I saw it, in a 1400 issue collection for $25,000 lol). So scanning the original is not gonna happen. I bought a reproduction of the first issue. It's identical except for a gray border on the pages where there are occasionally notes of interest about the contents of the page. The reprint is half the physical dimensions of the real mag, but when scanning at 600dpi, it isn't really that big of a problem (although the actual printing quality might be a bit hurt because of it.) At any rate, I figure it's the best we'll ever have of a historically important issue.

Here's my problem/question: The cover of the reproduction is in bad shape. Not torn, but very faded and with some water damage. It was not the sort of thing fixable by mere clone stamping. For my own personal satisfaction, I created a nicer looking cover by repainting it (the cartoon graphics are very simple with no shading or gradients, so filling in solid colors works just fine). There's still some spaces around the Japanese text where the paint can't fix it, but overall it's far more pleasant to look at. Of course, it isn't an authentic representation of what was scanned (but then neither is using clone stamp or whatever to repair damage or blemishes.) For that reason, I also include the actual scanned cover as the page following the repainted cover.

When I upload it, should I leave the nice cover out or keep them both? Opinions? Hopefully the scan of 158 I linked to above shows what my scans will look like from now on. Issue 1 suffers in qulity a bit due to issues out of my control, but I'd like it to be presented as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By RetroDefense
      Hello all,
      My posts have seemed kind of nit-picky recently (missing magazines, missing scans, etc) so here's something a bit more positive.
      On deck to be preserved, Turbo Force #3 (January 1993):

If all goes well I'll be scanning more saddle-stitched magazines in the coming months. Perhaps with a focus on Video Games & Computer Entertainment but I'll likely mix things up to keep things interesting. I'll have a better idea once I have an opportunity to dig into my collection.
      Cheers,
      RetroDefense
    • By Sean697
      So I decided to help get our EGM collection complete, I acquired a lot of stuff and sent a lot to E-Day. But I am going to try and scan some of this stuff myself. And try my hand at editing. I purchased a Canon LiDE 220 scanner. It doesn't have a huge bed. But big enough for magazines.mbut it outputs excellent color and is fast. Uses LED lamp so no warmup times.
      My first issue I'm scanning is EGM 07 the Top Score issue with the codes. I've completed scanning. Now on to editing. I've messed around a it and found straightening and cropping to be pretty fast. And the clone stamp has been working well for fixing blemishes. The colors came out so good I'm not sure if I'll have to color correct much if at all. I'll probrably go through and crop and fix blemishes and straighten first. Then I'll post some images here to get some opinions on color correction options and contrast adjustments before app,using them. Any advice on Photoshop corrections would be appreciated ahead of time to get me started. Or just wait till I post some screenshots and give me some feed back.
      I'm scanning in 500 dpi because it's fairly quick with this scanner. When I'm done editing I plan to resize the images to 1600 pixels wide. Is this still a good standard to use. Should I do more or less. Files sizes maybe could get bigger with the times. But let me know what the site still reccomend and I'll go with that.
    • By amorri40
      I have listed these here in the hope that some kind soul has the time and patience to edit these (cropping etc) as I sadly don't have the time at the moment.

Note that you will need to click the download pdf button as the quality is much higher in the pdf than the pages you can see on the site.

Total Control 01
      The cover needs re-scanned as my scanner doesn't support the shiny silver:
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/Total%20Control/Total%20Control%2001%20(Publisher).pdf/#page/2 

PC Gamer (2002-Xmas) 117 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2002-Xmas)%20117%20(Future).pdf/#page/2

PC Gamer (2003-02) 119 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2003-02)%20119%20(Future).pdf/

PC Gamer (2004-07) 137 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2004-07)%20137%20(Future).pdf/

I will update this as I scan more