KiwiArcader's Work In Progress

KiwiArcader

Awesome news, indeed!  PC Gamer may be my all-time favorite mag, but the different iterations of Game Player's PC are special to me, since they're one of the only magazines I used to own, but no longer do.  Why I got rid of them when I kept everything else, I'll never know, but every issue I replace (including this one) takes away a bit of the pain.  Thanks!

Anybody who wants to see more of these, check out Kiwi's site and consider a donation.  These are being sent to him by someone in the USA, but shipping to New Zealand ain't cheap!

• Like 1

Woo hoo!  I remember this issue so well.  King's Quest V was the most graphically amazing game I had ever seen, but it was also the breaking point for my computer at the time.  I didn't have a VGA display, and although there was an EGA version, my computer only had 2 5.25" DD disk drives.  The game only shipped with 3.25" DD and 5.25" HD disks though, and although you could mail away for 5.25" DD disks, they had to be installed on a hard drive, since there were so damn many of them.  Alas, I had no hard drive, either.

So I can remember spending many long hours reading and re-reading this and other GamePlayer's PC mags, as well as Sierra's Interaction magazine, marveling at the beautiful VGA graphics and dreaming of the day when I could somehow convince my parents that we needed a new computer.

Incidentally, when we finally DID get a new PC, the first game I got was the CD-ROM version of King's Quest VI.

This issue, like so many others, was cut badly with everything on quite an angle on the page so I had to do a fair bit of editing to get everything straight. Additionally, there was a knife cut down the centre of the cover (check out page two to see what I mean) so that required some cloning to remove it. Still, quite nice she looks now  :) 

In retrospect it's odd that I owned all of these issues, since I'm pretty sure our family computer at the time wasn't powerful enough to run practically any of the games being covered.  I guess the fact that I spent my pittance of an allowance on it anyway says something for how much I enjoyed reading the mag.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

In retrospect it's odd that I owned all of these issues, since I'm pretty sure our family computer at the time wasn't powerful enough to run practically any of the games being covered.  I guess the fact that I spent my pittance of an allowance on it anyway says something for how much I enjoyed reading the mag.

*laugh* I can totally relate. I would occasionally buy magazines for systems I didn't own, and PC-related stuff was no exception. I didn't have anything that could be considered an actual PC until 1995, but I still bought computer-related mags in the late 80s and early 90s, just because. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1