Interest Check: Old School Video Game Strategy Books

sav2880

Hey everyone! Hope to be back here a bit more frequently.

Anyways, I had an interest check question. The last time I recall, there was not a huge interest in doing strategy guides here, just magazines. I have something though that might fit the bill ... not the strategy guide in the sense we think of it now, but a gaming book that deserves to be archived.

OLD video game strategy books! I'm thinking specifically of the Jeff Rovin stuff, or the Ultimate Unauthorized collections. The book in front of me specifically is the Super NES 1994 edition.

I don't have the time to scan this stuff. I am a new dad after all, but if there is interest from those who are more skilled in the art of scanning, I will happily send this to them to have at it. This particular book is about 300 pages in a half-letter format.

Any takers? Is this something that is wanted?

Hey everyone! Hope to be back here a bit more frequently.

Anyways, I had an interest check question. The last time I recall, there was not a huge interest in doing strategy guides here, just magazines. I have something though that might fit the bill ... not the strategy guide in the sense we think of it now, but a gaming book that deserves to be archived.

OLD video game strategy books! I'm thinking specifically of the Jeff Rovin stuff, or the Ultimate Unauthorized collections. The book in front of me specifically is the Super NES 1994 edition.

I don't have the time to scan this stuff. I am a new dad after all, but if there is interest from those who are more skilled in the art of scanning, I will happily send this to them to have at it. This particular book is about 300 pages in a half-letter format.

Any takers? Is this something that is wanted?

I'm interested. If you want to send this (and any others) to me, I'll try and scan it (or them). I don't know if I'm more skilled, but I do have some time on my hands right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is an interest check and you'd looking for opinions, I think magazines should be of a much higher priority. I don't imagine there is much information in those strategy guides that you can't already find on the web, whereas it seems every single magazine through the 1999 cut-off has at least a few things that are not common knowledge.

If someone has the time and patience to scan hundreds of pages, I'd much rather it be several old magazines than a guide with the same information I can find on GameFAQs.

• 1 month later...

I like the maps and everything from the strategy guides. The Official Nintendo Players Guide's maps just recently helped me, although confusingly, to understand where to go in Goonies II and beat it. No other book had that info, and for good reason I suppose. :P

Sure, you can find a bitmap MS Paint or ASCII map online, but it pales in comparison to actual screencap maps. Online FAQs can sometimes be confusing and use terrible grammar. The guides also have lesser covered games that you wouldn't find a walkthrough for in normal publications.

I'm in favor of having strategy guides to look at when I need them, but I've found them elsewhere. This site is mainly for magazines and I respect and enjoy that. Keep em coming, guys.

• 2 weeks later...