Retromags Gallery!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

smoothmetalpngdigitalca.png

Retromags Gallery!

Now Over 3000 Images!

I am proud to announce that Retromags has a Gallery now! One of the main issues we have had over the years was a way to store and manipulate images. Up until now any scans of magazine covers or advertisements had to be uploaded via the attachment system. This system provided quite a few set backs, one of the main ones was that attachments are not searchable. Our Gallery is not only searchable but also able to be browsed by anyone. Also the Gallery will soon allow our members to upload images for use around this site. Our forums, Project Tracker, Content pages and Blogs will all be able to use the images we upload into the Gallery. This is a huge step forward for this project, we are now a 100% functioning site! Right now I have people restricted from uploading images to the Gallery, but as soon as I get the directories in place I will restore your permissions.

Retromags Gallery

To Clear Up Confusion

The Gallery serves 3 main purposes for this site. The first is to provide cover shots for all video game magazines. Magazine covers are exempt from our December 1999 cut off date. The second purpose is to give our members a place to upload advertisements out of our current magazines. Please note that the advertisements do follow our December 1999 cut off date. The third purpose is to give members a place to upload photo's that they would want to use in multiple areas on this website. While the forum attachment system works fine for using an image in a post 1 time, it does not work well for using it in multiple places. So members can now create personal albums to store images.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Have we decided on a naming standard for the pictures in the gallery? When I looked in the GamePro section, I see headings of "gp-0803.jpg" and "gp-0809-s.jpg" which are a bit confusing. I eventually figured it it was YYMM, but they are hard to read and quickly understand.

We should keep the names the same as we are using for the Download Manager and Project Tracker. Since all these systems use PHP, the preceeding zero curse is still in effect.

GamePro Issue 004 (June 1993)

If its a dual month, we need to use a dash instead of a slash....

GamePro Issue 005 (September-October 1989)

I will be slowly going through the sections and renaming files, gonna take me a while to do though

• 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Just an update for you guys, some interesting things will be coming for the Gallery......

Development for the next version of IP.Gallery is well underway and we're excited to tell you about some of the new features you can expect. Please keep in mind that this is only a sample of the new features and not a complete list.

Friendly URLs

Categories, Albums, and images are now integrated into the global IP.Board 3 FURL system.

Category/Album Covers

It is now possible to specify one of the images in a category or album to be the cover of that category or album. If a cover image is specified, it will always be displayed for that category or album, instead of the last image thumbnail.

Sub Albums

Albums now support unlimited sub albums, which work exactly like gallery sub categories.

Profile Picture Album

You can now create a new kind of album, a 'Profile Picture' Album. After this album has been created, any images that you upload to it will be displayed on the change picture page in your User CP, making them easy to select as your profile image.

New Slideshow

The slideshow has been completely redesigned, you can see the new style in the screenshot below:

More to come

We'll have a lot more to show you in the coming weeks, from new features to an improved interface, we hope that you will enjoy this new version!

Filed in ipgallery

• 2 months later...