Gran Turismo 5 probably coming to US, EU in early 2010

Polyphony Digital certainly hasn't won any races in bringing its latest installment in the PlayStation-exclusive Gran Turismo franchise to market. Announced at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo at the same time Sony unveiled the PlayStation 3, the game has languished largely out of sight from the public eye, though the studio did release the pared-down Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2008.

GT5 hopes to make up some time in the stretch.

As part of this year's Tokyo Game Show, Sony and Polyphony at long last attached a release window for Gran Turismo 5, saying the realistic racer's launch in Japan should come in March 2010. Now, it appears as if Gran Turismo 5's rollout in other regions won't be long after, according to series creator Kazunori Yamauchi. As part of a presentation to the press over the weekend, Yamauchi said the game's North American and European launch should closely follow its Japanese release.

"I don't think it's going to be that much later in the US and Europe," Yamauchi said. "This is based on our production schedule. The reason why the dates for the US and [European] regions are not decided yet is because their marketing is still discussing their issues. It shouldn't be too far off from [the Japanese] date for the other regions as well."

As part of his presentation, Yamauchi also laid out Gran Turismo 5's ambitious offerings, stating that the game will feature more than 950 cars, 20 locations, and 70 variations of tracks from which to choose. The notable game designer also said that those who unlock vehicles in Gran Turismo PSP--which launches alongside the PSP Go later this week--will be able to transfer them for use in the PS3 game.

News via Gamespot: http://tgs.gamespot.com/story/6230557/gran-turismo-5-probably-coming-to-us-eu-in-early-2010-polyphony

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

You're kidding, right?

Two years after you release a freaking $30 demo (ProTip: Demos are supposed to be free!), you're going to finally get around to releasing the full game? Yeah, for another $60 I bet, right? No tap-backs? So in the end, your customers have paid nearly $100 just to be able to play a game about going around in circles on a track with a car that's been in development since 2005. Right? Plus whatever the steering wheel controller will cost. Right?

Ha ha, Sony. You sure got us good with that one. April Fools, right?

Right...?

• Retromags Curator

Are you serious? A demo of this was $30 TWO YEARS ago?

Jake will be right then, they really will make millions. Getting as bad as Microsoft..

Yup. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was released in 2006. It was nothing more than an incomplete version of the final product (read as: a demo) and Sony charged gamers $30 a pop to experience the "next generation" in racing games. I was utterly floored, not just that they had the audacity to charge such a huge amount of money for a demo, but that tens of thousands of people all over the world eagerly plopped down half the price of a brand new PS3 title just to play it. I'm half surprised they didn't just release "GT5 Prologue 2" back in 2008 for another $30 and do it all over again.

*huggles*

Areala

I played Gran Turismo on the Playstation and Gran Turismo 3 on the Ps2 and had a lot of fun with them. I'll be interested to see how number 5 turn's out. The game is finally going to have car damage but I've heard different thing's about this. In one magazine I read, it said that only a handful of the car's will be able to be damaged while another stated that all the car's will show damage if crashed.

I've also heard that the A.I. is going to be improved so hopefully there won't be any more of the computer controlled car's all constantly taking the perfect racing line every time. I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

The thing I don't understand though is why it's taken the developer's so long to create Gran Turismo 5. I know there are going to be nearly 1000 car's included in the game and I know that the developer's are perfectionist's who naturally want to get every aspect of their game just so, but in the time that it's taken to produce Gran Turismo 5, two Forza Motorsport game's have already been released for the 360.

It just seem's like this game has been in development for way too long. Just hope it's worth the wait.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gran Turismo was great. Gran Turismo 2 was awesome. The third one had its moments, but some sections of it seemed more work than fun (endurance races anyone?). It was just more of the same with graphics enhancements... When I picked up GT4... I found it... boring. Not too excited about GT5.

Edited by Tanavin

Once you have a perfect game engine like Ugi Naka's Ferrari F355 Challenge or SCE's Gran Turismo, the only way you can top the "butterflies feeling in your stomach" is to increase the polygon count, detail of textures, other graphical enhancements, keep the frame rate high and maybe update or add the amount of vehicles.

I think this game will be a hit and look forward to giving it a spin one day.