Nintendo throws a brick with recent Wii update?

from 1up.com:

The recent Wii 4.2 system update is causing some unexpected problems for console owners, according to various posts on the Nintendo tech support forums. Since Tuesday's update, threads have popped up concerning the update freezing during the install, disc read errors, and overall console bricking.

Full story from 1Up.com

Mine worked fine. It is doing it to the ones that have certain homebrew installed. Not all homebrew just some of them. If people can "read" they will see that Nintendo gives a warning that updating a modded console can cause it to malfunction. And that you should update only if your console is unmodded.

Edit: I take what I've said back. The update can brick any Wii. It updates boot2, but the code is faulty and if for some strange reason the process doesn't write properly your Wii will no longer boot. It can happen with a modded or unmodded Wii. And Nintendo will only cover the cost of repair if your Wii is still under warranty and contains no mods. Which sucks.

• Retromags Curator

They are fighting a losing battle...they'll never stop it. Hackers will be two steps ahead of them. Like the zombie apocalypse when it comes...unless you wipe out the world. But that would be like drinking bleach to kill HIV, sure it'll work, but you kill the host in the process, so what's the point.

That doesn't mean they should just give up and let the idiot hackers do as they please.

The update worked problem free for me, and I had the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader GX installed. I had wanted to remove that stuff so I was happy this update came along and did it for me. As cool as it was running games off a hard drive, I'll stick with doing it the regular way. That way my playing time for each game is logged in the Nintendo Channel's Records.

I'm sure Nintendo has some sort of agreement with third parties to ensure that their games are not pirated or that Nintendo does it's best to stop such piracy in their consoles. I wouldn't develop games for a console that was easy to pirate for. No money in that. And most companies are business, they are there to make money. So I would be pushing Nintendo to do what it can to stop it.