Game music you associate with a PC or Console?

KiwiArcader

Looking at the games you associate with music of the day thread I thought it might be interesting to see what game soundtrack you associate with a particular PC or console.

For me when I think about tha Amiga I am automatically whistling the tune of Garrison ... that awful Gauntlet rip-off but which has a stunning loading tune. Then there's Arcadia's Sidewinder track and Hybris which were also cool... and the games were much better as an added bonus. smile.gif

For the Atari 800 it's Thorn EMI's Computer Wars in game music and for the Atari ST it's Gauntlet 2.

For the N64 it has to be Banjo Kazooie. What an intro that one had.

Interstingly, I cannot think of a single standout music wise on the games I played on the PSX. Although, if you include an intro in its entirety I'd have to say that Soul Blade keeps me coming back just to watch it. Very atmospheric....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are certain song's that when I hear them I automatically think of the PS2. These are the Dub, Reggae and Ska song's which are played on the K-Jah radio station in GTA : San Andreas. I associate these song's with the PS2 because I played this great game for so long and K-Jah was my station of choice when either driving around exploring or when parked by the coast looking at the sun going down etc.

There was such a great choice of music in this game. I would usually listen to radio Los Santos (hip hop) when doing drive by's, or K-Rose (country music) in the country and Radio X when I was in the mood for something alternative/indie but the song's on K-Jah were my favourite.

Now whenever I hear certain ska song's and particularly some Toots and the Maytals song's I always think of the PS2. :)

So many great tunes out there. I used to compile sound files from different games/systems and put them on CDs back in high school.

For NES and SNES I always had Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, series music. Also Double Dragon and TMNT music from NES. I love the rockin' fight tunes of the last two games, nothing like buzzy midi guitar to pump me up! You can't beat the Square SNES games' music either.

Another one from PS2 that I loved was the music in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Arabic style beats always seem to hook me.

So many others but I don't want to list all of them!

• Retromags Curator

I'm sitting here looking at my video game soundtrack collection and thinking, "If I posted all my favorites, it would take ten hours." I am that big of a geek...

Going back to the NES for a minute, I realized that no talk of genre-defining music is complete without a mention of "Bloody Tears" from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. This is simply one of the most killer tracks the series has ever produced, and it has shown up in many Castlevania games since. Best for smashing skeletons and werewolves. :)

*huggles*

Areala

No music but I remember the sound FX from this game. It was classic gaming for me back in the day. We wanted an NES but my parents bought us a PC instead. This was one of the games that I remember playing a lot. But it was so hard.

Then of course there was this one too. Even harder than the NES game because could only play with a keyboard. Though this video was taken and the dosbox or what ever they are using was not slowed down. Because it's running way too fast. If anything the game ran way too slow on a normal computer back in the day.

• 1 month later...