Funny review of Castlevania 2 (IGN Top 100)

Hidinger

As many are aware, IGN is doing a "top 100" NES games story. Number 25 is Castlevania 2. Read the "fondest memory" portion. Not only is it true, but rather funny as well. (Most of us felt this exact way at some time)

http://www.ign.com/top-100-nes-games/25.html

Do mean the reference to the Angry Video Game Nerd and his review of it?

I like the artist formerly known as The Angry Nintendo Nerd. He reviews old games in the new age and besides his potty mouth, I enjoy watching them.

The game is not very good. But the review has a point. It's the first Castlevania to attempt what we now know as Metroidvania games. We at least have to give this game credit for that. I wonder if anyone will make a hack with a change in the dialogue that will make more sense than the crap that is said by the NPCs.

I agree with the Nerd's critique of Castlevania 2. Although he went out of his way to be funny, he raised a lot of valid criticisms about how messed up the game is. The game has some redeeming qualities, but I always hated it compared to Castlevania 1 and 3.

I appreciate what Castlevania 2's developers were trying to do, but the execution was not very good.

• 1 month later...

Castlevania 2 was my first played in the series. I jumped on the NES bandwagon almost 3 years late (X-Mas 1988) so I started out with a lot of sequels, then went back and played the originals.

Is it me, or are a lot of #2 sequels on the NES very oddball entries? For instance, SMB2, Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Life Force (No 2 player Co-op in Gradius 1, or 3, and yeah I am aware of Gradius 2 in Japan as well as Doki-Doki Panic), Final Fantasy 2J was the oddball of the entire series, no EXP points, something not seen again until the upcoming FF14. I'm sure there's more like this, I just can't think of them right now.

This trend of oddball entries into well known series also occured on the Gamecube, I.E. Wind Waker (Cel Shaded, water everywhere), Metroid Prime (FPA), Super Mario Sunshine (Hard as hell and a lot of WTF).

• 1 month later...