Microsoft pulls sponsership from Family Guy

Data

At first, Microsoft and Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane planned to release a show called,"Family Guy Presents: Seth and Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show". The show was a half hour long and contained no commercials. Microsoft paid to have it's Windows 7 featured throughout, but during the October 16 taping, Microsoft executives were unhappy with the show's content of typical Family Guy stuff like, deaf people, incest and feminine hygiene jokes.

Seth Macfarlane did not want to change it's material because when a sponsor touches or lays a finger on the entertainment itself, integrity goes out the window, and so do the fans.

A Microsoft spokesperson says, "We initially chose to participate in the Seth and Alex variety show based on the audience composition and creative humour of Family Guy, but after reviewing an early version of the variety show, it became clear that the content was not a fit with the Windows brand.

We continue to have a good partnership with Fox, Seth MacFarlane and Alex Borstein and are working with them in other areas. We continue to believe in the value of brand integrations and partnerships between brands, media companies and talent."

The show is scheduled for release in mid November but with an unknown sponser. Maybe Apple?

I read about this a few days ago. It is probably a good idea that Microsoft got out of this. It was definently one of those "WTF" moments. I am pretty sure the people at Microsoft hadn't actually watched Family Guy before. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and own it all on DVD, but it is not something Microsoft wants to be attached to as it tries to spread the "windows love" to all different age groups. I highly doubt Apple will want to be attached to it either. It would be a huge risk for them to pick up Microsofts sloppy seconds and have it not turn out really well (it would pay off IF it turned out well but hurt them SOOO much if it didn't). So they will most likley not take that chance. I think it would have to be a sponser that is geared mostly towards Teens/20 somethings. I think Sony might go for it with their PS3 brand as that is there demographic anyway.

Microsoft would have been better off using American Dad for promotion. Still Seth McFarlane, but a show that has less crass jokes, and it`s funnier.

I loved the South Park Wii and World of Warcraft episodes but yeah .... difficult to see how they could do anything comparable with Windows 7 to be honest.

Man ... that World of Warcraft episode rocked biggrin.gif

This doesn't surprise me, either. Yes, American Dad would've been a much better fit, as they actually use computers from time to time in that show and it's not as raunchy.

Another thing that kind of shocked me was Burger King supporting that Seth McFarlane's Cavalcade of Crap. Most of that stuff wasn't funny at all and actually pretty sick.

This doesn't surprise me, either. Yes, American Dad would've been a much better fit, as they actually use computers from time to time in that show and it's not as raunchy.

Another thing that kind of shocked me was Burger King supporting that Seth McFarlane's Cavalcade of Crap. Most of that stuff wasn't funny at all and actually pretty sick.

Hahaha ..... Yup indeed. Couple of skits in that one were darned bad all right