PDF versions of our magazine collection

KiwiArcader

If you are a long time member of this site you will no doubt be aware that traditionally we have hosted .CBR versions of magazines here, with PDF versions being almost an afterthought.

There are several reasons for this ... site hosting storage limits, no readily available PDF creation software for magazine creators, an aversion to the format by some moderators ... the list goes on, even though a lot of our people on the forums have themselves questioned why PDF versions aren't available.

All that changed with the recent removal of content off the hosting servers and the requirement to now host off sites like Megaupload, Rapidshare etc. Retromags now has a premium Megaupload account and Phillyman is continuing to host all the .CBR content. However, I have also personally acquired a two year premium Megaupload account to provide an extra level of backup security for this site so have decided to take a slightly different tack by offering PDF versions of all of our magazines for those who prefer the alternative format.

Currently, the following magazines now have both formats available for download...

Amiga Format

Analog Computing

Arcade

Atari Age

Atarian

Computer & Video Games

Computer Gamer

EGM

GamePro

Nintendo Power

Sega Visions

The Games Machine

.... and anything else uploaded by me after we got this site back up recently.

I am now in the process of converting the smaller magazines sets & the EGM 2's over to PDF so expect to see them come online over the next few weeks. Ultimately it is my intention to have EVERY magazine here available in both formats. The security provided by doing this means we should never have to go through the turbulent times like we did recently.

So keep those magazines rolling in biggrin.gif

• Like 1

You can weigh the benefits and flaws of both. I find the cbr's are the quickest and easiest way to make a magazine flip pages on your monitor. You only need all the pictures in one folder but the Comic Book Reader fills your whole screen so you cant keep it open on a certain page while you work on something else. Unlike the PDF reader, you also can't open it and flip to a certain page. The PDF Reader is superior to the CBR without doubt but it takes extra time to make a PDF. More for the inexperienced.

And besides that, Adobe PDF Reader is free and works on Windows, Apple, and Linux. It works on I-phones but I don't know about all the others.

I commend your hard work and I don't want to make extra work for you so whatever scans I do submit in the future will have both available.

What exactly do you use to make your PDF's?

You can weigh the benefits and flaws of both. I find the cbr's are the quickest and easiest way to make a magazine flip pages on your monitor. You only need all the pictures in one folder but the Comic Book Reader fills your whole screen so you cant keep it open on a certain page while you work on something else. Unlike the PDF reader, you also can't open it and flip to a certain page. The PDF Reader is superior to the CBR without doubt but it takes extra time to make a PDF. More for the inexperienced.

And besides that, Adobe PDF Reader is free and works on Windows, Apple, and Linux. It works on I-phones but I don't know about all the others.

I commend your hard work and I don't want to make extra work for you so whatever scans I do submit in the future will have both available.

What exactly do you use to make your PDF's?

If anyone is able to create PDF's and wants to save me the trouble I will sort out a way to upload to my MU account so we can keep them seperate to the CBR's on Phillyman's MU account. Truth be told though if I see a CBR come online I download it to read anyway and it only takes a minute to reconvert it to a PDF. So definitely don't go out of your way on my account.

I work at a Telco and am responsible for Helpdesk support documentation & have a license for Adobe Acrobat so I use that to create PDF's.

• 2 weeks later...