Oh My God ....they Made A Psp Modchip!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Wow i think this is a first ......Sony must be FURIOUS! .......Now People can run any Firmware they want ......I bet Xbox 360 isnt too far behind!

Forget battling against Sony to get your beloved homebrew on the PSP console, we have received news that a new PSP mod is set to hit the scene called Undiluted Platinum (UP). This mod will act as a flash replacement system for the PSP which allow the use of previous flash updates or custom flash builds. Installation has been optimized to fit entirely inside PSP, this opens up the possibility to run unsigned Homebrew code on the latest PSP systems. More info will be available next week! This is 100 percent real just incase you had any doubts.

Source

uppsp4jl.jpg

Hah, thats great! Its the first handheld that had a modchip made for it too. That chip looks almost as big as half the screen on the psp. That'll serve Sony right for allowing enough room for a modchip to be installed (in any of their consoles, sheesh!)

I don't know enough about manufacturing, but why don't these manufacturers put epoxy on the chips or various parts of the board that might be used for potential modding as a deterrent? The hackers might be able to get at the chip eventually and design something, but it would be difficult for the average joe to do it then. Dunno, maybe its something they can't do, I'm more just thinking out lout atm.

Maybe Sony does it like this, then goes after the hackers and then hires them for their next console's security ;)

Hah, thats great! Its the first handheld that had a modchip made for it too. That chip looks almost as big as half the screen on the psp. That'll serve Sony right for allowing enough room for a modchip to be installed (in any of their consoles, sheesh!)

I don't know enough about manufacturing, but why don't these manufacturers put epoxy on the chips or various parts of the board that might be used for potential modding as a deterrent? The hackers might be able to get at the chip eventually and design something, but it would be difficult for the average joe to do it then. Dunno, maybe its something they can't do, I'm more just thinking out lout atm.

Maybe Sony does it like this, then goes after the hackers and then hires them for their next console's security ;)

I was reading that they JUST began to do that with the 360 TSOP chips, coat them with epoxy. I wonder if with some of the chips it's a heat issue, even if it's not the primary CPU.

Boosting console sales is usually not a good thing for the manufacturer, as they are often sold as a loss leader, especially in the beginning of the console's life, as they make money on game licensing.

The big reason why they don't epoxy the components is because this would trap the heat inside. Just about every IC on a board generates some heat, though many low-level components generate so little that they don't ever overheat and don't even need a heatsink, but designers will factor in tolerances and design the system to run with the least cooling possible. Anyone who's modded an Xbox can testify to burning their finger on the chipset right near the LPC pins. It runs hot, but not to the point where it cooks. If that same chip were covered in epoxy, it would make mods very difficult but it would also fry in seconds.

There is no way to 100% stop modders, the best they can do is make it complicated and risky to slow them down. The PS1 and PS2 were very good at this, as each new revision changed a few things to make mod installation more difficult, and often made older chips incompatible due to slight signaling differences. One thing you have to realize is that the console manufacturers have access to commercial mods just like users do, so they study them and find ways to defeat the mod.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...