R.I.P. UMD

DealBot

UMD was doomed because it's a Sony format :P Being the first to market doesn't mean crap if your format sucks and has no 3rd party or homebrew support. The whole appeal of VHS was that any joe could record his own tapes. Then DVD came along and it took a while before good DVD burners came out, but now they're here and many people have set-top DVD recorders to tape their shows and whatnot. UMD will NEVER have a personal recorder because that would open up the possibility of pirating or self-producing UMD movies and selling them cheaper than what Sony charges for them, which is a ridiculous price given the low quality and unportability - you can't even plug the PSP into your TV to watch the movie on a healthy-sized display. Watching movies on a tiny portable screen is a novelty for travellers and commuters, but it's not going to revolutionize the world of entertainment. That's why we have $99 portable dvd players!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it seems a lot of Sony's formats just fall out of the market because none of them are any good. My brother bought a miniDisc setup by Sony when they first came out and I just knew it was doomed. He had the walkman and everything, and it just never worked out.

You can get portable DVD players even cheaper than 99 bucks now, so there is no benefit to having the PSP format because their discs (when it comes to movies) just lack a whole bunch of the extras that are on their DVD counterparts and the cost is not much of a difference.

honestly, umd might have had a chance if it worked multi-platform, the "player" cost less and homebrew/movies/other media could be RECORDED by a pc. almost as copy-protected as the reverse-read GC discs...

and yet psp and gcn have been hacked and games been copied...