Have You Appeared in Print?

triverse

Pretty simple, have you appeared in print before?  This can be a comic or magazine (such as the letter column or even as a writer) or well, there isn't much else is there?

Me personally, I had a letter printed in the mid 90's Catwoman comic book (I think it was issue #11 or something).  It was pretty cool.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

*Scratching head* I thought this was a topic already. (Maybe a different forum)

Ok well, there was a right up about me and my Card Fighter Project in Retro Gaming magaizine in the UK. They named me by name but forgot to include the web address.

Thor, this may have been another topic already, if so, I apologize (it was late and I was tired and  I wanted to get some conversations started up since it was a little slow).

You guys know that Steve Harris is looking for letters for the first letters column of the returning EGM right?  I wonder if anyone can get him to comment on magazine preservation (I know his feelings and well, they are "colorful").

• Retromags Curator

Pretty simple, have you appeared in print before? This can be a comic or magazine (such as the letter column or even as a writer) or well, there isn't much else is there?

Me personally, I had a letter printed in the mid 90's Catwoman comic book (I think it was issue #11 or something). It was pretty cool. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I think I answered this somewhere else, but I can't remember, so I'll blabber about it again. :)

While I've sent letters to several magazines and comic book studios over the years, none of those have gotten published. I was mentioned by name for some of my stories in the April 1999 issue of PC Games magazine, in Daniel Morris's "NoEsc" column:

The [Tomb Raider] archive houses 37 stories by dozens of authors--some bad, and some (one named Sarah Crisman springs to mind) quite good.

And as if that wasn't cool enough, he actually closed the column with this line:

This is the stuff of drama, and the ideas generated at places like the Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Archive should be registered loud and clear in the offices of Core Design. It’s not all about polygon smoothness and new animations. What we want is more mystery, more creativity, more character. And hey, if the designers don’t feel up to the task, Sarah’s e-mail address is on the site. Drop her a line, and maybe Tomb Raider IV will have a bit more spirit to it.

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week after that. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

The fuck? <_<

Nice use of language there.

I was referring to Steve Harris. If his feelings about magazine preservation is "colourful", then why bring it to his attention again? I'd rather not risk that he decides he doesn't like the idea and we have to pull his stuff down. If he was favourable to the idea, that would be different. But otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up with any publisher/editor.

Says the guy who used to call anyone and everything "gay" all the time.

Not to mention all the derogatorily names used for certain parts of female anatomy. :rolleyes:

I was referring to Steve Harris. If his feelings about magazine preservation is "colourful", then why bring it to his attention again? I'd rather not risk that he decides he doesn't like the idea and we have to pull his stuff down. If he was favourable to the idea, that would be different. But otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up with any publisher/editor.

Then learn how to use the quote function for once. Especially when someone else has posted a reply to the one you're responding to 5 hours earlier, which in turn make your reply look like it was meant on a completely different subject.

First up, Mister Zero, on each post there is a reply button, if you click that then it will give you the original poster's name in the quote.

Now on to E-Day's concerns there.  There are really two types of people in the world, those that want to know and those that wish to remain hidden, out of site.  I choose to be one of those that wants to know, one that wants to find out things, know where I stand and such.  This carries over to how we run Out-of-Print, we want to know what publishers we can and cannot work with- to us, it is no different than having the cut-off year for releases.  

Just like it is public knowledge how certain icons in gaming feel (Ralph Baer, Bill Kunkel, the publishers that work with Out-of-Print, etc) it is also just as unknown about others that wish to either remain silent or not publicly address the situation of their properties being preserved by anyone (sadly, most of the owners in question don't even have a set of their own property).

I would rather face someone like Mr. Harris, find out his concerns, wishes and flat out objections to what is being done to preserve his magazines, then, and only then, do you truly know what needs to be done to gain his support (which we have done from day 1 at Out-of-Print).  It is a choice that has to be made, you are either interested in working with publishers or not, it is pretty simple.  

• Retromags Curator

Says the guy who used to call anyone and everything "gay" all the time.

Not to mention all the derogatorily names used for certain parts of female anatomy. :rolleyes:

Get over it already. Geez. And stop with the exaggerations.

I would rather face someone like Mr. Harris, find out his concerns, wishes and flat out objections to what is being done to preserve his magazines, then, and only then, do you truly know what needs to be done to gain his support (which we have done from day 1 at Out-of-Print). It is a choice that has to be made, you are either interested in working with publishers or not, it is pretty simple.

I would rather just keep the site the way it is, with everything that is up now. If anyone requests that their stuff is removed, I don't want it to be because we poked around asking them about it. People at GamePro know about this site, but don't do or say anything about it. I would like it to stay that way. If we would start asking them questions and stuff, someone higher up might eventually find out, and then there goes a huge chunk of content.

I would rather just keep the site the way it is, with everything that is up now. If anyone requests that their stuff is removed, I don't want it to be because we poked around asking them about it. People at GamePro know about this site, but don't do or say anything about it. I would like it to stay that way. If we would start asking them questions and stuff, someone higher up might eventually find out, and then there goes a huge chunk of content.

Understandable and also a very big difference between Retromags and Out-of-Print.  I personally would like to know that as much as possible is being done to further the preservation scene to a legal one.

• Retromags Curator

That's what your site is for. This one is just here for kicks until it gets killed. Which is what I think Philly had intended from the start. It would be nice if this site became something like Google Books for game magazines, but the risk of pursuing that without potentially getting the site in trouble is pretty high, I would think. Let sleeping dogs lie, yo.

I found out that a lady in Australia was publishing the history of my family. Turns out no-one knew anything about my ancestral line as my Great Grandfather left Fiji around 1900 with his family while the rest of them stayed there. After I contacted her she flew to New Zealand and my mother and I provided the family history along with photographic material for her. She gifted me a copy of the book when it was published and in the introduction she acknowledged the fact we had solved a 100 year old mystery, allowing the full family history to be published.

If someone ever decides to research a book on current living descendents of the Plantagenet's I'll end up there as well.

OK ... not quite what you were expecting? LOL.