Who here owns an ARCADE machine?

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an Arcade machine?

I'm interested in gauging whether our members are just consolers ... or the arcade purists of old.

Hey ... if the poll is screwed up just answer in the thread. I haven't tried setting a poll up before and you know ... age issues and all that ... LOL

Seriously though ... most of us have consoles coming out of out ears. But the Arcades are where it all started. So it's always interesting to see if people have bought one ...or built or are building one [that's me] ... and what games they have for the things. Are you using JAMMA or old school PCB's? Or one of those 60 or 1000 in 1 knockoffs?

No judging here ... just thought it interesting to see what people are into. And some of us may have some tips on what to buy ... the best joysticks, buttons, lighting etc

Thor, did you make your MAME cabinet yourself?

Well... I've been playing a TON of arcade games lately(share your high scores here) when and where I can find them. At home I use MAME just because all the games I want aren't in my area anywhere close. I love playing on the actual cabs though.

My current favorites that I practice every day on MAME are Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Dig Dug and Joust. Only two of those are available to me in machine form, at my local pizza spot. I hold high scores on both of them and I make sure to maintain that score when I can stop in. >=P

I really like the Wico joystick in the Ms. Pac-man machine(it has a blue ball top) but at home my Seimitsu LS-32 does the job. Those Wico are my favorite with a ball-top attached because of the smoothness and spring it has. I don't mind the Happ bat tops on a Mortal Kombat cab but for Street Fighter I only like to use Japanese sticks, mainly my Seimitsu, because it's so tight and accurate. I have a back-up Sanwa bat top for it, but I used it for a while and recently switched back, I missed the balltop.

I'm moving in the next few weeks into a place with a basement. I would love to get at least one arcade cabinet down there, but we'll see.. maybe in the future.

Has anyone ever been to a SuperAuctions show? When I lived in CA, I stayed with a woman whose daughter owned an arcade machine auction company called SuperAuctions. It was so much fun to go to the shows! They had all the machines set up on free play and you just stand around with everyone before the auction and play the heck out of them. If you can make it to one of the shows it's well worth it; the games are sometimes auctioned off for way cheap.

• Retromags Curator

I don't have one, though there are several I could see myself being crazy enough to own one day. None of them, though, are enough to make me want to buy or build a cabinet. :)

I MAME when I'm in the mood, but otherwise, no dice.

*huggles*

Areala

I bought a generic cabinet a while ago which was wired for JAMMA PCB's. Big and clunky and my basement area was dwarfed by it.

So I sold it off again and decided to build a new cabinet based upon the smaller Taito Trimline cabinet. You can see what they look like here .... http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=1030ℑ=1

I have kept true to the shape but as these were built around a 12" monitor I have reworked the dimensions to allow for a 17" or 19" LCD instead. Haven't decided to keep to the original single joystick setup or modify for two player although I am thinking the first one will probably be a single player setup so I can create a dedicated Donkey Kong Jr. The sides have been cut ... just starting on installing the brackets etc.

Coming up to Winter here so this will give me something to plug away at over the cold months.

Guest s1500

Many moons ago, our family had a "Car Polo" machine. It was a 4-player simultaneous game with a CRT facing upward, from 1977. Think my dad bought it since it had Mini Coopers on the sideart.

I've been eyeing MAME cabinet dimensions lately. It seems like a crapload of work in something I'm not quite qualified at, plus I don't like the crazy CPO setups that most people use. They also look humongous.

I like that trimline cabinet.. that might be just the thing for a little basement. I'm new to all the arcade parts terms, but technically wouldn't you still be able to switch a DK Jr PCB for any other one in the future since it's JAMMA anyways? If so, maybe I could get some tips for making one of these from you, Kiwi.

As of right now, I'm more concentrated on moving than anything else, but at least I have a couple more ideas now.

:PNEScabinet.jpg

That NES cabinet is UGLYYYYYY!!!!

The Taito Trimline is a nice small cabinet as you'd expect given the 12" monitor. I upsized it a bit to allow for a bigger monitor but that's about it really. Thinking about making it 2" wider as well to accommodate a two player setup. Cut the wood on that basis but can simply trim 2" off if I decide to stick to a single player setup.

Thor, did you make your MAME cabinet yourself?

Yup completely by scratch including the computer inside. I had plans to make a more compact arcade unit like a candy cab or a flatpanel but I'll probably never get around to it.

• 1 year later...

I wish! seriously when I eventually have the cash and space I'm going to get a Daytona USA 2 twin, as that's a game you can't play on any console and I love it (yeah I know there's MAME but that's just not the same, I prefer the original hardware and controls) and Blasteroids (again the spinner controller is needed to really play it properly)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I own an Outrun (which doesn't have the driving seat) and Final Fight arcade cabinet in which both were purchased by my dad at local yard sales and Craigslist meetings. He got them both for 50 bucks (consecutively)!

two_arcade_cabinets__by_devon_baxter-d50d18b.jpg

Steal of a lifetime! How did the person selling those not sell them for more. I mean if he orshe owned them, then they had to know their value right?