Looking For A New Bittorrent Client

JJR

• 2 weeks later...

How customizeable is uTorrent as far as background bandwidth and number of connections? A roommate of mine was complaining that even a torrent being leeched and seeded at very low speed was crippling the rest of a 3 megabit down / 768kbit up DSL line, so I'd like to make sure that I can customize a lot of aspects of the program to make sure it's friendly to the rest of the connection.

uTorrent cool for that?

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on how much involvement you want with the program, I recommend BitTornado. It has plenty of speed options and allows you to take just the files you want from batch torrents. I've had no problems with properly setup downloads hampering others. Plus, I've not come across a site yet that has banned its use. Also, I second the thought on Azureus. It used so much memory I got to where I only used it to create torrents. Now I just use MakeTorrent for that and rid myself of Azureus altogether.

I have tried dozens of BT clients and found that the best to be BitSpirit cause I was able to get up to 1.5MB/s vs. 100KB/s (same torrent) on most of the other BT clients including BitComet, Azureus, Utorrent, BitLord, and whole lot more...The only problem I have found with BitSpirit is that some of the private torrent sites have banned it...the ones that have banned it I use Azureus.

Everyone here at the ZTTfarm is in love with Utorrent.

There's nothing better then launch and forget software (as in hassle free usage)

Remember people:

Friends don't let friends use dial-up!

P.S. I'm trading in my brokeback newsbot for a showroom fresh domesti-bot. They add years to your life.

• 4 months later...

I ended up completely sticking with uTorrent .... love how small the program is and how little resources it takes to do what it does so well.

It's funny to go back and read what I had up there ... I had a roommate at the time, so trying to share the bandwidth was so much more important.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard Utorrent isn't trust worthy anymore since it was sold to Bram Cohen's Bittorrent Inc which by the way is now in Cahoots with the MPAA or RIAA ( I can't remember which). They changed Utorrent from open source to closed source, and people have attested and I have seen for myself that it does act suspiciously. Using Peer Guardian or any outgoing port monitor you can see Utorrent now regularily tries to connect with Bittorrent Inc's servers and send data. What this data is we can't say as Utorrent has now become closed source.

:angry:

Ah, that's what all the fuss was about.

Noticed this on the wrestling trackers I visit, since we don't get wrestling over here.

They still recommend staying with 1.6.1 or 1.7.2, and certainly not using 1.7.3 or 1.7.4.

1.7.5 seems to have been approved though, but this version is still very buggy.