Gamecube Component Video Cable$

MBJ

Can anyone tell me why component video cables for the Gamecube are so ridiculously expensive? I just looked around online and the "Official" cables from Nintendo are going for aroung $100. Can anyone tell me if there is much of a difference between the official cables and the third party cables that I can find for closer to $20? I can even find Monster cables for under $30!

Can anyone tell me why component video cables for the Gamecube are so ridiculously expensive? I just looked around online and the "Official" cables from Nintendo are going for aroung $100. Can anyone tell me if there is much of a difference between the official cables and the third party cables that I can find for closer to $20? I can even find Monster cables for under $30!

1) The actual Component cables were only available through Nintendo's web site, and now they don't even offer them, so what's out there is out there. Especially considering newer Gamecubes don't even have the digital out port that the cable needs. All of the third party cables are going to be S-Video

Actually, that about sums it up. I have one of these, and I got freakishly lucky, found it used at Gamestop for 5 bucks, but it's hard to find that kind of a deal now.

Heck, I should sell mine to pay for an XBox 360. :)

Maybe I'll just wait for the Wii since it should be very easy to get component cables for that system and it will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games.

I hadn't heard that Nintendo stopped putting the Component out on the recent systems. I guess that they did that to cut back on cost?

Maybe I'll just wait for the Wii since it should be very easy to get component cables for that system and it will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games.

I hadn't heard that Nintendo stopped putting the Component out on the recent systems. I guess that they did that to cut back on cost?

They didn't stop putting component output on the gc afaik, same plug just different connectors and wiring.

Like SAV said though, they're increasingly hard to come by nowadays, but you could probably find some 3rd party quality cables from other companies. I know Monster Cable made a composite cable for the GC (red/yellow/white), but I know they didn't make component cables for GC.

They didn't stop putting component output on the gc afaik, same plug just different connectors and wiring.

Like SAV said though, they're increasingly hard to come by nowadays, but you could probably find some 3rd party quality cables from other companies. I know Monster Cable made a composite cable for the GC (red/yellow/white), but I know they didn't make component cables for GC.

No one's ever cracked their digital signal. Of course, in the same respect, Nintendo never made a big deal of the fact that the Gamecube could do widescreen and 480p (just like the Wii will be capable of) either, so it's on them too. I think about 20 games or so support the progressive scan, and I've seen Naruto, Smash Bros. Melee and others in it, really makes the GC shine.

I dunno, if you look at a newer Gamecube compared to an older one, the "digital out" port just isn't there. The way I can even sometimes know without looking at the back of the system is whether or not the Freeloader disc works with the system to allow it to play imports. If it doesn't work, it's the newer model sans digital out port. That's what I get for working at a game store that does a lot with imports. :)