Used games worse than piracy says developer

tinman

Co-founder of Blitz Game Studios, Andrew Oliver, has stated that the impact of used game sales are worse than piracy on consoles and is pushing developers towards releasing game content as digital downloads. The comment comes as EA describes "Project Ten Dollar" as a "positive consumer experience". Speaking to Develop, Oliver...Read More>>

:greenshell:

• Retromags Curator

Co-founder of Blitz Game Studios, Andrew Oliver, has stated that the impact of used game sales are worse than piracy on consoles and is pushing developers towards releasing game content as digital downloads. The comment comes as EA describes "Project Ten Dollar" as a "positive consumer experience". Speaking to Develop, Oliver...Read More>>

:greenshell:

Time for another Areala Bullshit blog...

http://www.retromags.com/forums/blog/6/entry-206-andrew-oliver-preowned-games-bigger-than-piracy-areala-bullshit/

*huggles*

Areala

Man, Areala, I wish I could pump out blogs on a whim like you do. *SKILLS!*

I don't give a crap. If they really want to sell more new games, lower the prices. Buying newly released used games off of eBay has saved me hundreds since I first got my 360.

It's a good thing I don't really like EA's sports titles- I wouldn't be paying them $10 extra to play multiplayer.

• Retromags Curator

Man, Areala, I wish I could pump out blogs on a whim like you do. *SKILLS!*

I don't give a crap. If they really want to sell more new games, lower the prices. Buying newly released used games off of eBay has saved me hundreds since I first got my 360.

It's a good thing I don't really like EA's sports titles- I wouldn't be paying them $10 extra to play multiplayer.

The thing is, developers and publishers need to get it through their heads that the used game business, just like the used CD, book, and DVD business, is going to be with us until we, as consumers, decide to abrogate our rights in favour of the digital download medium (don't get me started on that...everyone thinks Steam is cool until they look at the Subscriber Agreement and realize what rights it gives Valve and what rights it takes away from users; read Sections 2A, 4B, 9A, 9B and 10A to understand the absolute power you give Valve when you install the Steam malware on your PC).

Instead of trying to punish people who buy used games, why not try your best to entice gamers to buy new ones? They've got the right idea with some things. Dragon Age: Origins shipped new with a code that let you unlock a piece of DLC for free. Heavy Rain shipped with a code for a free episode of DLC as well. GameStop and Amazon occasionally both offer promotions in the form of preorder bonuses that will entice buyers to part with the $$ for a brand new game - it worked for me with Mirror's Edge, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (the runner's bag and soundtrack respectively). But don't put out cripple-ware just to punish people for buying used. Reward customers for buying new and let the inherent competition for the choice between getting $5-15 worth of free goodies vs. saving $15-20 buying used work itself out among customers.

There will always be people who game on a budget, who no matter what will never be able to afford $60 for a new game. Game companies need to quit trying to treat these people like the enemy - they will never get their money because it isn't there in the first place. What they should be doing is letting companies like GameFly and GameStop bear the brunt of the costs associated with having those people as fans of their games and instead focus their attention on the people who can and do buy new by giving them more reasons not to wait.

*huggles*

Areala

LOL. Yep .... and the benefits of piracy are not worrying about Securom or Starforce etc because the crackers remove those lovely forms of trojanware the companies force upon you as a legit user.

Obviously it's in everyones interest to buy legit. It supports the industry after all. However, if they are going to bring titles to the field that only allow the original purchaser to use them, with no way for a subsequent user to make use of them, then what do they expect if people get annoyed and go down the piracy path. I personally have no problems with a nominal administration charge to release an online cd-key from one user to another if it allows someone to continue to use a legit product.

The other option of course is to wait until the product comes down in price .... usually anywhere from 6 months to a year after release. For a single player game this isn't an issue ... just buy another $15 game from 6 months ago and play that while you wait right?

The other option of course is to wait until the product comes down in price .... usually anywhere from 6 months to a year after release. For a single player game this isn't an issue ... just buy another $15 game from 6 months ago and play that while you wait right?

Sometimes the prices never drop or even go on sale. I think this is another issue they could work on.

Sometimes the prices never drop or even go on sale. I think this is another issue they could work on.

No kidding, whatever happened to the Player's Choice series? Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, LoZ Twilight Princess, and a few other games should be $29.99 by now (at least Mario Galaxy with the new one set to drop on Sunday)...

No kidding, whatever happened to the Player's Choice series? Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, LoZ Twilight Princess, and a few other games should be $29.99 by now (at least Mario Galaxy with the new one set to drop on Sunday)...

People are still playing full price so they don't bother to change it.