WANTED: Someone to Scan Electronic Games Magazine:

Joseph4587

To the active scanning community at large:

With all of the recent spike in activity I have seen, I felt it was appropriate to remind people of an outstanding offer I put out there a while back. In the last few weeks, I have seen updates to several magazines from the 90s (thank you to those people), but it is still important to know that Electronic Games, the granddaddy of ALL U.S. dedicated games magazines is still unfinished. I firmly believe that seeing this series completely scanned is important because of its significance to the game magazine history and the sheer rarity of the issues that date back 25 to 30 years now. There is NO other magazine of this era that better defines the Retromags mission of preserving the past before it is lost forever. I am extremely fortunate enough to own a complete set of magazines (minus a few pages missing in some) and would LOVE nothing more than to know that that they have ALL been scanned and preserved for future generations.

So, to that end, to any reputable scanner out there that have had work posted, I am willing to send (free of charge) any issue not done to be scanned provided it can be done in the relatively near future. I would do it myself, but I simply do not have the time or patience to sit there and get them in the quality that the ones before have been done in. Ideally, I would like to work with someone who can make this a scanning priority, but I am realistic and would be flexible for the right person.

This is one way that I can contribute to this awesome site. Please reply if interested so that we can take it offline to discuss the specifics.

Thanks again for all the great releases so far and I hope to hear from you.

Joseph

(AKA Vince4587)

I don't have a single one of those in my huge pile of mags unfortunately. And while I'd love to help I live downunder so shipping them isn't going to be an option from a cost perspective. If you do have a scanner it would be great if you could maybe scan an issue over a month, or two even. I am more than happy to help with editing raw scans and compiling a mag etc .... currently doing that for squarepushers Edge mags for instance. I'm cleaning up Areala's Synchs as well but that has less priority than new content as we already have those available.

Being a hobby everyone goes at the pace they are able to .... same at OoPA etc I would say .... so there's no worries if you only scan a couple of pages a day for instance and upload them in a zip file when an issue has been completely scanned.

No worries at all.

We don't expect that everyone has the software/knowledge/time to be able to clean up raw scans. While there are only a few active members here doing this stuff at any one time I am sure that myself or someone else will happily take the time to create a release if you are prepared to spend the time scanning your mags. There will be a scanning guide here soon although rule of thumb is to scan the pages at 300dpi and try and keep the pages from getting cropped by the scanner .... a common occurence with A4 scanners.

Any issues let me know and I'll try and help. You can always try scanning the cover of an issue and send it through for evaluating and we'll take it from there.

Guest s1500

Ooh! Pre-crash! I likey. I'd scan 'em. I've got a big-ass scanner(mustek A3) and I live in the US. I would be more than happy to scan them. PM me if interested.