Site Suggestions

E-Day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting too many download limit exceeded notices whenever I try to download something. A few even say that the file could only be downloaded 10 times and that it was no longer able to be downloaded. I've suggested this before and I still think hosting the files on a paid seedbox makes sense. For around $18/month you could get a seedbox to host the files on with a dedicated 100Mbps up/down connection and we wouldn't have to mess with all that MegaUpload garbage, which is usually slow if/when you can actually get it download your file. Not to mention I've seen a few messages from MegaUpload about a file being removed because it violates their terms and conditions.

If you figure $18/month for 12 months for a seedbox and about $5/month for 12 months for webhhosting, that's roughly $276 a year which is only about $50 more than was figured to keep this site going with the current options. IMHO, a site like this really shouldn't be relying on sites like RapidShare, MegaUpload, etc. I absolutely LOVE old gaming magazines and have several that aren't available here that I'd be happy to contribute, but the current system is a pain. Anyway, I think it is at least worth considering. Originally I was going to download all I could from here and host it myself on a seedbox, but I'm not looking to compete with anyone, I just think there is a much better way to do this that would benefit all the members.

Not a big deal, but it looks weird:

Under the logo at the top of the page, the "Links" and "Chat" are underneath all the other links. Just kind of bugs me.

Other than that a lot of the more useful things have already been listed.

Um, what resolution are you running in? They all are on the same line to me at 1280x1024 on my monitor and 1280x800 on the laptop. I just checked, and 1024x768 does bump "Chat" down for lack of space though. So, perhaps it's a matter of your chosen monitor resolution, browser, etc.

Um, what resolution are you running in? They all are on the same line to me at 1280x1024 on my monitor and 1280x800 on the laptop. I just checked, and 1024x768 does bump "Chat" down for lack of space though. So, perhaps it's a matter of your chosen monitor resolution, browser, etc.

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. :bag:

• Retromags Curator

I'm getting too many download limit exceeded notices whenever I try to download something. A few even say that the file could only be downloaded 10 times and that it was no longer able to be downloaded. I've suggested this before and I still think hosting the files on a paid seedbox makes sense. For around $18/month you could get a seedbox to host the files on with a dedicated 100Mbps up/down connection and we wouldn't have to mess with all that MegaUpload garbage, which is usually slow if/when you can actually get it download your file. Not to mention I've seen a few messages from MegaUpload about a file being removed because it violates their terms and conditions.

$18/month is a lot just to host a bunch of 1's and 0's, and is not a cost I am willing to absorb. Nor do I want to hassle members for donations. On top of that, changing all the links in the download section is a monumental task to say the least. Chances are that those MegaUpload files that you've seen removed were ones that were not uploaded to this site's MU account. And if the uploader named the file nintendo_power_issue_100.zip instead of np_100.zip, it is much more likely to be found and deleted.

If you figure $18/month for 12 months for a seedbox and about $5/month for 12 months for webhhosting, that's roughly $276 a year which is only about $50 more than was figured to keep this site going with the current options. IMHO, a site like this really shouldn't be relying on sites like RapidShare, MegaUpload, etc. I absolutely LOVE old gaming magazines and have several that aren't available here that I'd be happy to contribute, but the current system is a pain. Anyway, I think it is at least worth considering. Originally I was going to download all I could from here and host it myself on a seedbox, but I'm not looking to compete with anyone, I just think there is a much better way to do this that would benefit all the members.

Considering I paid $67 for the first two years of hosting for this site, $276 is rather expensive. Well, very expensive. I'd rather we didn't have to rely on MegaUpload, but I don't want to use the sites host for the files, because eventually they'll do what the old host did, and tell us to remove all the files. Nor do I want to have to ask for money from members to help cover the costs. Plus lots of people downloading from the site will cause them to shut down the site temporarily for using too many resources. And again, changing the links in the Downloads section is a lot of work. We had to do it once already. 800 links to change on 800 pages is a lot.

The link to the Wiki should be moved to the top bar instead of being buried under Help & Info.

Clicking the Retromags logo should lead to Home, and the Home shortcut can be culled from the top bar.

The other links on the top bar can possibly be consolidated better? Too bad there aren't drop-down category menus.

• Retromags Curator

The Retromags logo does lead to Home, with the portal page being the home page for the site.

That top bar of links isn't very flexible and not that easy to work with. For instance, I can't really change the order the links are in. Nor can I realy consolidate them. I agree that the link to the Wiki should be in the top bar, but I don't want to add yet another link to the already crowded top bar. I could remove the Chat link, since no one ever uses the chat room.

• Retromags Curator

I don't know if I can remove the Home button. Like I said, that menu bar isn't very flexible. I can't even change the order some of those links are in, so I don't think removing Home is an option.

Edit: After some research, I found out I can rearrange the links and all that. It requires that I edit the JavaScript for the site's global template. That could get dangerous, but it's worth a try. That menu has always bothered me.

Oops, guess I should test things out more before I speak. Apparently even though the logo looks like it's going to the forum when I hover and check the link, it actually already does go to the portal page. So, yeah, just the superfluous Home button is all that needs to be tweaked, if possible. Need to make room for the Arcade link too if Phillyman ever gets around to reinstalling it like he said, heh.

• Retromags Curator

I checked the logo link yesterday and I swear it was going to the Forum page. Now it's not. I dunno.

If anyone installs the Arcade, it will be me :). But as far as I know, it still doesn't work with the current forum software version. I'll have to check again to see if it's been updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: When releasing a magazine there should be an option to add the list of games and plataforms included on certain issue. I'm thinking about something like the way we currently add links to download magazines. This tags would be helpful to find specific magazines of one's interest.

You can do that in the Description box. Otherwise there would be dozens and dozens of fields cluttering up the page.

I was thinking on meta tags, just like in blogspots. You could limit the number of tags to mmm let's say a number between 5 and 10.

• Retromags Curator

Well, when you do a search in Google or Bing, it searches the actual pages as well as the metatags. So if you enter all the info in the description field, the search engine should see it.

I'll add your suggestion to my list of things to look into.