Retromags F.A.Q.

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

Right now, the Frequently Asked Questions section is empty. I don't know what questions are frequently asked that are not answered in one of the guides or help pages already. So if you have a question that you think is or was asked often, post it here, and I will add it to the FAQ with an answer!

Here's one that I've asked a couple times before (though it's mainly pertinent to more long-time members):

Is the Forum Arcade / Attack System ever going to return?

I know they may not be important to the work being done here, but they seemed to help build and retain community members and promote camaraderie.

Another question:

What is the site Out of Print Archive? Are you affiliated with that site?

Yeah, I know it's not exactly a FAQ, but the whole issue is sometimes boiling just below the surface. No need to overwhelm new members with any details of troubles happened in the past though. Ideally, I would like to see an answer that puts OoPA forward in a positive light and promotes them as an alternate source of old-school mag goodness. The more people we nicely refer to there for what we don't have, the more likely members there will return the favor when the situation arises.

(note: I'm not a member of OoPA (due to lack of time to join any more sites), and I'm not trying to take "their side". Since I was offline during the whole split and like to be open minded anyway, I am impartial to both sites and would like to see both prosper.)

• Retromags Curator

That Arcade/Attack System thing, as far as I know, hasn't been updated to work with the new forum software. I don't know where it came from or how it works. Thankfully Phillyman is still around to help me out with that kind of stuff :)

That second question is a good one. I hadn't thought of that one myself. Don't worry about any negative answers to that question. There is no negativity between the sites anymore. Any answer I come up with would say that it was started by two members from here, who are going about the project in a different way. All good stuff!

• Retromags Curator

That Arcade/Attack System thing, as far as I know, hasn't been updated to work with the new forum software. I don't know where it came from or how it works. Thankfully Phillyman is still around to help me out with that kind of stuff :)

That second question is a good one. I hadn't thought of that one myself. Don't worry about any negative answers to that question. There is no negativity between the sites anymore. Any answer I come up with would say that it was started by two members from here, who are going about the project in a different way. All good stuff!

The Arcade is still in beta for the newest version. I can install the beta for you, but can't promise you that it will be stable....

http://www.ibparcade.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to post this separately but I think more than 1 new members could be wondering this like me.

Submitting magazines, strategy guides what ever.

Question #1 What DPI should I use ? With my scanner an HP F2120 all in one, a 150 dpi scan of a magazine page averages just over 1 MB, while a 300 dpi file ranges from 3 to 6 MB. And unless I run them through another program I can't make them any smaller. My main concern is that I have a 1.5 mbps connection and my upload speed is pretty slow only around 300K. I don't link the idea of taking an hour to upload a really huge file, so is 150 okay?

Q2: What is the whole approval process is any way and how long does it usually takes.

Q3: About filling out that upload file form you have. I understand the Megaupload link, I know bandwidth can get expensive. But that file upload is that for the cover.

• Retromags Curator

I was going to post this separately but I think more than 1 new members could be wondering this like me.

Submitting magazines, strategy guides what ever.

Question #1 What DPI should I use ? With my scanner an HP F2120 all in one, a 150 dpi scan of a magazine page averages just over 1 MB, while a 300 dpi file ranges from 3 to 6 MB. And unless I run them through another program I can't make them any smaller. My main concern is that I have a 1.5 mbps connection and my upload speed is pretty slow only around 300K. I don't link the idea of taking an hour to upload a really huge file, so is 150 okay?

Q2: What is the whole approval process is any way and how long does it usually takes.

Q3: About filling out that upload file form you have. I understand the Megaupload link, I know bandwidth can get expensive. But that file upload is that for the cover.

1. Generally scans need some edting in a program like Photoshop after scanning. This is where you can save a 300dpi file to something smaller like 1-1.5 megs. 300 dpi is the general standard that everyone scans at. If you absolutely have to, 150 dpi is acceptable.

2. Scans only need approval if you're a newish member. Once you get to Team Member or whatever it is, scans don't need approval.

Basically for your first scan, someone (generally me), will download it and take a look. If it looks good and it looks like you know what you're doing, it gets approved. After that, anytime I see a new scan from you, I will approve it without checking it out because I'll assume you did as good a job as the first one.

I generally check for files waiting for approval every day or two.

3. On the new magazine submission form screen thing, the "Link to File" box is for the MegaUpload link, and/or links to others places like RapidShare and Hotfile (you can add more than one link). Under that, "Link to Screenshot" is the link to the cover that is in the Gallery section. When you navigate to the page with the appropriate cover, on the right you'll see a "+ Share Image". Click on that, and then copy the link under "Image Link" and paste it in the "Link to Screenshot" box on the submission page.

All this information is in the Scanning Guides on the site :)

• 1 year later...
  • Retromags Curator

Hey, the system is saying I've reached my download limit for the day, but I haven't downloaded anything!

That's odd. I don't know why it's doing that or how to fix it. I am not a fan of the system this site uses. However, once all the files move to Newsgroups, there won't be a limit on how much you can download.