something other than zip or rar

Bablefish

I am asking this so I don't get in trouble around here. I have a few magazines you don't have posted here and the wiki says they are missing, which are good enough reasons. I plan to do them as cbr files.,they seem to be the easiest to do. I noticed when I download some mags the cbr file is usually zipped or rarred. Would it be against the rules to use this new compression file format I came across recently it's called 7zip it's free and open source. I think it's a pretty amazing format, recently I downloaded this file actually it was 2 40MB files split. When I uncompressed them using 7zip it came to 1 600MB file and it works fine. Any problems?

cbr is a rar file, just one that has had the extension changed to associate with Comic Book Reader programs.

cbz is the same for zip files.

cb7 is the new extension for 7z files, but it is much less commonly used and possibly not recognized by some reader programs.

Not my place to say you can't use it, but just trying to provide more info.

• Retromags Curator

I use 7zip, but I always use.zip or .rar and change the extension to .cbr. Then that file is put in a zip file with a super short name and uploaded.

I don''t know if .7z will work with CDisplay or other readers, but you can give it a try!

Using either zip or rar files doesn't really matter, as long as you create the archives without any compression algorithms.

So using 7z wouldn't make any difference either, unless you use it to compress the files inside, in which case you'd be dealing with files that have been compressed twice. Remember, jpgs are lossy. so using 7z to compress them even further would not do much good when it comes to keeping the scans in the best shape possible.