Schloss Ritter's WIP

Schloss Ritter

I'm finally going to start scanning, so I guess it's time to start a Work in Progress thread. Here's what I've got queued up:

Game Player's Strategy Guide to Game Boy Games, Volume 1 Number 2 (Sep/Oct 1990), 96 pages

Yep, I've actually got one issue of this (not very well known?) publication. This issue covers Super Mario Land, Duck Tales (Game Boy), and more.

Ogopogo Examiner #3(?) - #5 (1993-4)

The Ogopogo Examiner was a newsletter distributed by Square Soft, Inc. from Spring 1992 to Fall 1994. I missed the first couple, and it didn't last long. However, I'll try and dig up what I have.

Super Mario RPG Strategy Guide - Supplement to GamePro Magazine, 16 pages

I don't have the GamePro mag, so I have no idea what issue this is from. Must have been an insert I borrowed from a friend and forgot I had.

CD-ROM Today

These cover PC & Mac gaming and general multimedia, so I hope they will be accepted here. I originally bought them mostly for the "free" game demo discs, but there's some interesting reading in the mags as well. Also, I swear that I had more issues than this, but some must have been lost in moving.

Vol.3 No.7 (Jul 1995), 120 pages

Vol.3 No.12 (Dec 1995), 200 pages (double-size issue)

Vol.4 No.2 (Feb 1996), 120 pages

INTERAction

Sierra's own magazine featuring reviews and hints for their games released in that quarter, along with previews of upcoming titles. And you thought Nintendo Power was biased... Unfortunately, I subscribed only 3 issues before they discontinued the magazine.

Fall 1995, 96 pages

Spring 1996, 96 pages

Summer 1996, 96 pages

Sierra Buyer's Guide, Spring '96, 32 pages

This is more like a catalog, but interesting mini-articles on each game make it worth checking out.

GamePro, No. 97 (Oct 1996), 144 pages

Never mind. It's already available here (under wrong issue number):

http://www.retromags.com/forums/files/file/1653-gamepro-issue-087-october-1996/

Final Fantasy III Players Guide (Infotainment World Books), 164 pages

Secret of Evermore Authorized Power Play Guide (Prima's Secrets of the Games), 160 pages

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Game Secrets (Prima's Secrets of the Games), 138 pages

Star Wars: Episode I: Racer - The Official Nintendo Players Guide (by Nintendo Power), 112 pages + poster

Can I get it done before the game's 15th anniversary? Or the 20th? Only time will tell.

Tentative queue:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Game Secrets (Prima's Secrets of the Games), 240 pages

It also includes sections on Zelda 1&2. Since this is a trade paperback sized book with mostly text and black & white images, it may not be scanned at all.

Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist Hintbook, 88 pages

Again, plain text and black & white. But it's small enough to fit sideways on the scanner.

The following are all post 2000 and so not going here on Retromags; instead, they will be put up somewhere...

Star Wars Starfighter - Prima's Official Strategy Guide, 96 pages

Star Wars Jedi Starfighter - Prima's Official Strategy Guide, 128 pages

Star Wars Racer Revenge - Prima's Official Strategy Guide, 80 pages

Edited by Schloss Ritter

I'm finally going to start scanning, so I guess it's time to start a Work in Progress thread.

Glad to see you begin to contribute. I wish I had the hardware to scan my own material, but it seems donating to those that can will be as much as I can offer from my end. :)

Game Player's Strategy Guide to Game Boy Games, Volume 1 Number 2 (Sep/Oct 1990), 96 pages

Yep, I've actually got one issue of this (not very well known?) publication. This issue covers Super Mario Land, Duck Tales (Game Boy), and more.

Do you happen to know how recent this magazine was printed? I realize you don't have anything else but any issues between '97 and '01 would be interesting for me to look into.

Super Mario RPG Strategy Guide - Supplement to GamePro Magazine, 16 pages

I don't have the GamePro mag, so I have no idea what issue this is from. Must have been an insert I borrowed from a friend and forgot I had.

I have the Nintendo Power guide to this magazine, which is unfortunately incorrect in certain places, though is one of my most treasured magazines. Unfortunately one of my dogs tore a page.

INTERAction

Sierra's own magazine featuring reviews and hints for their games released in that quarter, along with previews of upcoming titles. And you thought Nintendo Power was biased... Unfortunately, I subscribed only 3 issues before they discontinued the magazine.

Fall 1995, 96 pages

Spring 1996, 96 pages

Summer 1996, 96 pages

Sierra Buyer's Guide, Spring '96, 32 pages

This is more like a catalog, but interesting mini-articles on each game make it worth checking out.

This would definitely make for a good read if any of the issues cover games of the King's Quest series.

Anyways, looking forward to what you have. I'm always surprised at the sheer number and variety of early magazines. It was a huge market which I'm sad to see diminished.

Glad to see you begin to contribute. I wish I had the hardware to scan my own material, but it seems donating to those that can will be as much as I can offer from my end. :)

Yeah, I know I told you that I would help out if I had a working scanner too. Now that I got mine working, I could, but it may take me a long, long time to get around to anything. So, I'd rather leave it to the regular members to get first dibs.

Do you happen to know how recent this issue was printed? I realize you don't have anything else but any issues between '97 and '01 would be interesting for me to look into.

re: Game Player's... - The issue I have came from September / October 1990, which I bought on impulse from a store at the time. I have no idea about what's in the rest of the series.

I have the Nintendo Power guide to this magazine, which is unfortunately incorrect in certain places, though is one of my most treasured magazines. Unfortunately one of my dogs tore a page.

re: SMRPG - What I have is just a small insert from GamePro magazine. I've never seen the NP guide.

This would definitely make for a good read if any of the issues cover games of the King's Quest series.

I doubt it since these mags are from a couple years after the release of KQ7 and a couple years before MoE, the action RPG spinoff that helped kill the series. I know one features Space Quest 6 though.

Anyways, looking forward to what you have. I'm always surprised at the sheer number and variety of early magazines. It was a huge market which I'm sad to see diminished.

I wouldn't exactly call these "early" gaming mags, as that classification probably ends at the end of the 80's, heh. These are mostly from the golden age of the 90s. But yeah, I know what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update, or lack thereof. I've not been able to get online as much lately, and I've been to sidetracked to do any scans. Hopefully, I'll get on track soon.

Also, no one knows where these MK cards came from? I'm pretty sure it was NP, but don't really know. I'll scan the backside too, but there's no source info there either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's the backside for these other cards. I wonder why the Gallery is resizing my 1440 pixel high images to 1200 px.

This has possibly inspired me to add scanning my Nintendo Power trading cards for various games in the early-mid 90s(?) to my scan queue, unless they've already been done with their respective mags. Long ago, I punched them out from the sheets, but I could possibly scan more at once then. Depending on interest, I may even do them before some things listed in the first post.

gallery_2189_31_611991.jpg

I'd love to see all the NP cards aside from their magazines, I used to collect the heck out of those! Ditto if anyone has the EarthBound cards from the strategy guide or the Street Fighter temporary tattoos from around Issue 50. I just recently came across my Mega Man X POGs from Issue 50 but I think a few are missing.

• 3 months later...

Bad, bad Schloss for not making any progress for so long. In my defense, I had to pack my scanner away to move some stuff and you know how it is with "out of sight, out of mind". I'll be busy with other stuff for the next week or so, but hopefully I remember to get back to this soon.

:rtfm:

Also added Ogopogo Examiner to the to do list...

Edited by Schloss Ritter