Do you subscribe to any current gaming magazines?

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

EGM

Again I started with the Buyer's Guide and subbed at issue #1 so I stuck with them al along and am still subbed, though I don't know if they are still sending printed issues.

Hardcore Gamer

I think they went PDF only

Your old EGM subscription got transferred over to some other magazine when Ziff-Davis sold 1Up and ended EGM with the January 2009 issue. EGM started up again in April 2010, but subscriptions were not carried over. So no, you are not subscribed to EGM any longer unless you started a new one last year.

Hardcore Gamer went PDF only in 2008, put one issue out in 2009, and one out in 2010. Since then they haven't put out an issue of any kind, but will be back in 2012 according to their site.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your old EGM subscription got transferred over to some other magazine when Ziff-Davis sold 1Up and ended EGM with the January 2009 issue. EGM started up again in April 2010, but subscriptions were not carried over. So no, you are not subscribed to EGM any longer unless you started a new one last year.

Hardcore Gamer went PDF only in 2008, put one issue out in 2009, and one out in 2010. Since then they haven't put out an issue of any kind, but will be back in 2012 according to their site.

I re-subbed to EGM in time for the reboot with Steve Harris. He actually contacted me about 6 months before that to use my scans for his project plan so that was a surprise when I heard he was bringing it back.

I was referring to the latest problems with EGM managing to get their printed issues into the hands of it's subscribers. They skipped a month and then many of us just received a letter saying the October issue of EGM is now sold out.

So we'll have to see how that plays out.

The last Hardcore Gamer hard copies I received are these -newest to oldest-:

Winter 2008 (Street Fighter IV)

Fall 2008 (Dead Space)

Summer 2008 (MGS4)

Spring 2008 (SSBB)

Dec 2007 (Super Mario Galaxy)

Nov 2007 (Uncharted)

Oct 2007 (Kane & Lynch)

Hope I didn't miss any.

• Retromags Curator

They never missed sending me my issues, even though others had problems. I renewed with them in August, and bought the September/October issue on the newsstand. I am assuming that I will be getting the next issue in the mail, whenever it is mailed out. Hopefully.

They never missed sending me my issues, even though others had problems. I renewed with them in August, and bought the September/October issue on the newsstand. I am assuming that I will be getting the next issue in the mail, whenever it is mailed out. Hopefully.

I'm not 100% on if I'm missing anything or not at this point. Each time I ask I get a different reply from their customer service.

They didn't know if the EGM printed mag went bi-monthly either.

I have received the Sep/Oct issue, and told me to expect an Oct/Nov issue which I suppose is the one I won't receive since I received this a few days ago telling me they are out of print on the October's issue.

318303_2497616849217_1516765446_2652656_1449996505_n.jpg

I don't subscribe to any current mags any more (I'm in the UK) but instead just pick up new issues of Edge, NGamer and Retro Gamer on the iPad. Every now and again I'll go and get a paper copy of something to save for prosperity but I just don't have the space to collect and keep physical mags anymore.

If there's a games fanzine, though I'll happily only get the physical version. .EXE is great!

• Retromags Curator

I'm not 100% on if I'm missing anything or not at this point. Each time I ask I get a different reply from their customer service.

They didn't know if the EGM printed mag went bi-monthly either.

I have received the Sep/Oct issue, and told me to expect an Oct/Nov issue which I suppose is the one I won't receive since I received this a few days ago telling me they are out of print on the October's issue.

I saw the September/October issue on the shelves for the longest time, up until last weekend. Not it's the November/December issue. I bought it even though I will probably end up getting it in the mail in a week or two. They address their switch to bi-monthly in the Letters section of the new issue. They are putting more focus on EGMi and their website, and knew that when they brought back EGM, there wasn't a need for a magazine. But because they think their is still a place for print, they continue with print.

It really sucks that game magazines are struggling like this - EGM going bi-monthly, GamePro changing to a new quarterly magazine - but at the same time, it's better that than to have no magazines at all. I wonder how Nintendo Power manages to be able to put out 13 issues a year, and now much longer they can keep that up.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone else confirm the November/December issue of EGM (print edition) being out?

If they don't send me this issue I'm going to request a refund. I only subbed for the magazine and my online code has not worked in months either.

I really wish Steve Harris had put more money into hiring better customer service reps. They aren't very helpful.

• Retromags Curator

Can anyone else confirm the November/December issue of EGM (print edition) being out?

If they don't send me this issue I'm going to request a refund. I only subbed for the magazine and my online code has not worked in months either.

I really wish Steve Harris had put more money into hiring better customer service reps. They aren't very helpful.

It's out on newsstands. I bought it last week and scanned the cover for the cover gallery. I did not receive it in the mail yet either. Though I usually get them a couple weeks after they hit newsstands.

gallery_4418_8_2161883.jpg

• 4 months later...

My brother had a subscription to Nintendo Power and to Wizard, and then I had Nintendo power until they switch publishers. I also had a pc game magazine that I received by accident when the actual magazine I subscribed to folded. I remember it fondly for its pin-up type girls in each issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my subs ....

I subscribed to Edge Magazine via Zinio when it was on special so I receive 12 or 13 issues for $35NZ which is fantastic considering the print version retails for $18NZ per issue over here. Paid for two get another 10 for free. :lol:

That goes along with my subscription to Games Master which cost me $49NZ for 13 issues. Still pretty good given the one shop selling them has disappeared and they were $17 per issue.

On non-gaming side of things I also subscribed to Future Publishing's Maximum PC magazine which costs me an insanely cheap $1.29 per month. Just can't pass up prices like that.

• Retromags Curator

I LOVE Maximum PC. I've been a subscriber for several years now, and will keep that subscription up for a long time. I have about 13 subscriptions to various magazines, and Maximum PC is the one I always read right away and the quickest. I get the printed version though. I don't subscribe to any digital magazines, and don't plan on doing so either. I like the fact that magazines get me away from screens and technology while I read them.

• 1 month later...

As you all know, I currently have Nintendo Power and EGM. Although I will have to replace EGM with something else soon. Waiting for over 2 months between issues can get irritating. Has anyone read @Gamer magazine from Best Buy (published by Future US) yet? Looks pretty good. I just need a decent multi-platform magazine besides the expensive Edge and Gamestop-owned Game Informer.

• Retromags Curator

As you all know, I currently have Nintendo Power and EGM. Although I will have to replace EGM with something else soon. Waiting for over 2 months between issues can get irritating. Has anyone read @Gamer magazine from Best Buy (published by Future US) yet? Looks pretty good. I just need a decent multi-platform magazine besides the expensive Edge and Gamestop-owned Game Informer.

It's sad that EGM is the only multi-platform magazine that is available on regular newsstands. At the same time, is there room for more than one on the newsstand considering there are three console specific magazines now?

No matter how entrenched the Internet becomes, I will never forgive it for ruining game magazines.

It's sad that EGM is the only multi-platform magazine that is available on regular newsstands. At the same time, is there room for more than one on the newsstand considering there are three console specific magazines now?

No matter how entrenched the Internet becomes, I will never forgive it for ruining game magazines.

What's really funny is that the 3 console specific magazines, PC Gamer, AND the @Gamer magazine from Best Buy are all owned by a single publisher, Future US. Of course you know that Game Informer is owned by Gamestop. So what does that leave the US video game magazine market? We got EGM Media that publish EGM (holding on to a thread). Gamefan doesn't count. Gamepro is now defunct. What we have here is a duopoly (Future US and Gamestop). Back in the day, there were independent publishers and a huge diversity of US video game magazines.

It's not that we don't have room for a good, multi-platform magazine, it's just independent publishers can't survive in this age of economic horror and cheap internet publications.

• Retromags Curator

The fact that people would rather read something like Kotaku, which is 50% fluff and 40% articles about shooters, over a well written, well designed magazine makes me sad. Sure, you get your news right away from Kotaku after sifting through all the other "stuff". But apart from things that have an immediate affect like price cuts, what is the benefit of knowing about a new game a month or two before you read it in a magazine when that game won't be out for another 14 months?

On one hand, it's nice to be able to read about E3 news the day it becomes available, but at the same time there was something more special about seeing a list of newly announced games and screenshots in in a special section of your favourite game magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a subscription to Game Informer and @Gamer Magazine. I used to have physical copies of Game Informer, but now since everything is switching to digital it seems like, they only allow you to download issues from their website. I can't get it to work properly even though I paid for it and I'd much rather have the physical versions, but oh well. The @Gamer Magazine is treated more as a bonus than its own thing. It's a Best Buy-exclusive magazine from Future Publishing that is actually pretty decent even though it's mainly advertised to give you coupons, but that's not too much of a bad thing, IMO. Both magazines were included in a membership at GameStop and Best Buy, so even though I don't necessarily love the content (or can't even read the damn thing in the case of GI), I still get little goodies out of it.

I have a subscription to Game Informer and @Gamer Magazine. I used to have physical copies of Game Informer, but now since everything is switching to digital it seems like, they only allow you to download issues from their website. I can't get it to work properly even though I paid for it and I'd much rather have the physical versions, but oh well. The @Gamer Magazine is treated more as a bonus than its own thing. It's a Best Buy-exclusive magazine from Future Publishing that is actually pretty decent even though it's mainly advertised to give you coupons, but that's not too much of a bad thing, IMO. Both magazines were included in a membership at GameStop and Best Buy, so even though I don't necessarily love the content (or can't even read the damn thing in the case of GI), I still get little goodies out of it.

Game Informer still offers print subscriptions as far as I know. You can check it out yourself at http://www.gameinformer.com/p/subscribe.aspx Think I'll subscribe to @Gamer, since I shop at Best Buy pretty often. You know, I have a feeling print magazines will die eventually. I'm sure they will sell subscriptions codes at stores one day for the digital-only editions for your PC, tablet, or smart phone. Gamestop already sells downloadable games at their stores. So game magazines will go that route any day now. If that comes to pass, I'll just stop reading game magazines altogether. Because that would make me more than a little upset. The only thing I'll do is poke online sometimes to read game news, that's about it.

Game Informer still offers print subscriptions as far as I know. You can check it out yourself at http://www.gameinfor.../subscribe.aspx Think I'll subscribe to @Gamer, since I shop at Best Buy pretty often. You know, I have a feeling print magazines will die eventually. I'm sure they will sell subscriptions codes at stores one day for the digital-only editions for your PC, tablet, or smart phone. Gamestop already sells downloadable games at their stores. So game magazines will go that route any day now. If that comes to pass, I'll just stop reading game magazines altogether. Because that would make me more than a little upset. The only thing I'll do is poke online sometimes to read game news, that's about it.

Huh, that's interesting. The GameStop employee who told me they weren't must not be telling me the truth, or just misinformed (no pun intended). Yeah, digital issues aren't the same to me. There's a certain thrill I get by physically turning the next page to know more about a game that won't be out for another one or two years or even just looking at the awesome cover art for Game Informer magazines. I love that stuff.