Uping resolution question

Bablefish

I fully admit I have quite a few low res scans in fact that is why I have not submitted quite of bit of stuff I have including Enter Magazine (and btw I have every single issue scanned). Then yesterday after a Google search I discovered that GIMP can improve resolution. In fact I did a test yesterday on an image I download sometime ago and what can I say it worked. But here is the reason for this post, we all know the least the pixel width of any submission has to be at least 1280 and we all know increasing the pixel width of any low res image can lead to a blurry image. I just want to know is it possible to turn a low res image to a high res one using GIMP and if so what should I set the X,Y resolution to?

• Retromags Curator

It doesn't matter what program you use, making an image bigger will always make it blurry.

you can use GIMP to make the image larger, but the resolution will still be the same as far as pixels per inch. If you set GIMP to keep the aspect ratio, all you have to do is set the width and it will calculate the height automatically. You can increase the resolution to 300dpi, but that will also make the image blurry.

• Retromags Curator

Rescan the content. Otherwise the image quality will take a hit when you increase resolution.

If you don't have the stuff to rescan any more, it's probably best to move on to something that has a high resolution and leave those other issues for now until someone else comes along and scans them or you come across more copies.

• 2 weeks later...

I always scan mags and covers at 600 d.p.i and apply a magazine descreening filter which will render a nice raw scan. use tiff image formats only while scanning and repairing (JPEG applies compression which reduces quality each time that the image is saved.) Gimp could help with color balance and despeckling solid colors; sharpening blurry objects; and repairing any damage. Then redimension the tiff image to a smaller size; then save as a JPEG at highest quality or 95/96 quality.

I always scan mags and covers at 600 d.p.i and apply a magazine descreening filter which will render a nice raw scan. use tiff image formats only while scanning and repairing (JPEG applies compression which reduces quality each time that the image is saved.) Gimp could help with color balance and despeckling solid colors; sharpening blurry objects; and repairing any damage. Then redimension the tiff image to a smaller size; then save as a JPEG at highest quality or 95/96 quality.