Nintendo Power Scans are Complete

E-Day

Agreed, but physical mags are still nicer for casually browsing and reading on the john. Would someone please think of the poor deprived generation of kids growing up hemorrhoidless because they have no good gaming magazines to get lost in while taking a dump?

It takes all types, I guess!

For the most part, no. I only feel sad if it's an old magazine from the early 90s, or one that I know is hard to find. Otherwise I feel nothing. I don't care about these late 90s EGMs I have been scanning, so de-binding them doesn't do anything but let me know that my pile is shrinking :)

You really are dedicated, then. I can't imagine spending all that time on magazines I don't even care about.

Agreed, but physical mags are still nicer for casually browsing and reading on the john. Would someone please think of the poor deprived generation of kids growing up hemorrhoidless because they have no good gaming magazines to get lost in while taking a dump?

I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting there reading mags in my own stench. Heaven forbid spending any more time in there than I absolutely have to after the wifes been either. Yikes!!!

I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting there reading mags in my own stench. Heaven forbid spending any more time in there than I absolutely have to after the wifes been either. Yikes!!!

Oh I only shit copies of Zelda's Adventure for the CD-i. They can be a bit painful in the passing, but the smell is rather manageable, so long as you flush them right away.

• Retromags Curator

It takes all types, I guess!

You really are dedicated, then. I can't imagine spending all that time on magazines I don't even care about.

Well, they were donated to me for scanning, so I am obliged to scan them. If I could find a way to streamline the editing, I would be able to get through them a lot faster. Scanning used to be the slow part; now it's the editing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks! I appreciate the hard work!

I can't tell you how happy I am to have Nintendo Power from the beginning all the way through the '90's in digital form :Yahooo:

I know how time consuming it is; I've scanned several comics and also the magazine; Lee's Action Figure News & Toy Review before.

I kinda want to own every issue of Lee's Action Figure News & Toy Review and preserve it digitally.

There's so much valuable information in there regarding toy collecting.

I'm not brave enough to unbind and cut the magazines however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so...when looking at the archive.org uploads....can't believe they basically took the ones from here and uploaded them :/ (NP#90 for instance, only avalable as CBR file, come here and yep, only CBR as well...) hasn't the 10 year rule passed on up to 2013-2015 now?

Glad to see it's still up and running, been a while since I've been on. :)

Where'd the Nintendo Powers go? I was checking them out with my kids but they disappeared.

Nintendo had the Nintendo Power uploads removed from the Archive.org website (either today or yesterday). Presumably the same thing happened here as well.

• Retromags Curator

Nintendo had the Nintendo Power uploads removed from the Archive.org website (either today or yesterday). Presumably the same thing happened here as well.

Retromags has not been contacted by Nintendo, however if they do reach out to us....we will fully comply with any request they submit. In the past we have been contacted by DieHard GameFan and Game Informer and those publications were promptly removed and are no longer available, nor are they being preserved in any aspect since those requests were presented. Retromags will always comply with any publishers request for exclusion.

-Phillyman

Retromags has not been contacted by Nintendo, however if they do reach out to us....we will fully comply with any request they submit. In the past we have been contacted by DieHard GameFan and Game Informer and those publications were promptly removed and are no longer available, nor are they being preserved in any aspect since those requests were presented. Retromags will always comply with any publishers request for exclusion.

-Phillyman

Gotcha. Well, I'm glad Nintendo hasn't told you to take them down then.

I suppose that raises the question, though, of where are the NP issues? I haven't been to this place in ages, so maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find them? And when I clicked download on a NP strategy guide (I think it was the Mario Mania one), I got an error message on the download page, leading me to believe it'd been removed.

• Retromags Curator

Gotcha. Well, I'm glad Nintendo hasn't told you to take them down then.

I suppose that raises the question, though, of where are the NP issues? I haven't been to this place in ages, so maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find them? And when I clicked download on a NP strategy guide (I think it was the Mario Mania one), I got an error message on the download page, leading me to believe it'd been removed.

This past Saturday I removed them after the Archive.org story went viral and hundreds of sites started reporting on this story. I saw quite a bit of discussion on the quality of the Nintendo Power collection. 95% of those scans were done back in 2004-2006 when we all had 5MB Internet connections and 80GB hard drives. We have come a long way since then, so when they come back.....I would like to see them remastered in a higher quality.

You sure you didn't just tuck them away so we didn't get a lot of unwanted attention? Heh.

So here's a comment. My shouts just disappear. I came here last week to see if you knew about the NP archive. Then wrote another when I heard they were borrowed from the site. Now I'm here a third time because I also noticed things were missing and evidently nothing ever appeared in the shout box list.

Let's see if this works at least.

• Retromags Curator

You sure you didn't just tuck them away so we didn't get a lot of unwanted attention? Heh.

So here's a comment. My shouts just disappear. I came here last week to see if you knew about the NP archive. Then wrote another when I heard they were borrowed from the site. Now I'm here a third time because I also noticed things were missing and evidently nothing ever appeared in the shout box list.

Let's see if this works at least.

No way man! I was just as surprised as anyone. All those gaming news sites out there had me fooled. I thought Nintendo gave Archive all 285 issues to host free of charge. Never even dawned on me that they might be from some preservation site that has been around for a while :rolleyes:

Silly news sites, not even taking 5 minutes to verify any facts. Just copy and paste....get that fluff piece out with half truths and hope for clicks.

Anyways the cards have been dealt, now we wait to see what happens. Let me know if you are still having issues posting in the shoutbox. I see other members in your usergroup are able to post, do you have adblocker or noscript running?

I didn't know where the scans came from. And maybe I mentioned the site when someone followed up with 'I wish someone did this for Gamepro".

That's the internet for ya. It's a great resource as long as you use Adblock and sift through the 80% crap to find the good stuff.

I do actually. I mean the box looks normal, I can type stuff and get a loading animation at the top when I click shout. Nothing ever appears in the box. I have it whitelisted in Adblock so that isn't it.

Well, that's a bummer. I had a full run from 1991 to 1994, but I gave them all away a long time ago, and those years when Tokuma Shoten worked on the magazine were always my favorite.

Nintendo really could stand to recognize that sometimes, fan preservation and fan creations can help your IPs, not hurt them.