Jam vs Jelly

E-Day

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Jam
    • Jelly
    • Deep-fried turkeys?

• Retromags Curator

So for years I have kept hearing about jelly when watching TV shows from the US. It's always jelly instead of jam. I never had jelly before, so this past spring I decided to try it.

Jelly sucks. I do not know why it's so popular in the US, or why people prefer it over jam. The texture is just plain weird, it doesn't spread nicely, and it's not as tasty as jam. I tried both apple jelly and grape jelly, and I did not like either of them. Grape jam, on the other hand, is delicious.

So which do you prefer? Is jelly an American thing, like deep frying turkeys, or is it something people like all over the place? Does PB&J mean peanut butter and jam or peanut butter and jelly to you?

Jelly does suck. The only times I've had it in my life was at old people's houses or if we bought it by accident. E-Day beat me to the reasons I dislike jelly, mine are the very same.

Jam tastes good, but here in the US it's made up of mainly high fructose corn syrup and a bit of real grapes. I'd be happy if they used more grapes and less HFCS, or at least used sugar instead. Despite that small issue I have, jam is my favorite.

I used to love some type of strawberry spread when I was a kid. One of our family friends had it and I'm not sure if it was a jam or preserves. I've had some preserves since then and they didn't taste the same. I'm still searching it out.

Apple Butter is very good, if you ever have the chance to try that. It's popular in my state.

Still never had a deep fried turkey, but I can only imagine how good and fattening it must be.

• Retromags Curator

Man, I need to send you some real jam from Canada. Our Welch's grape jam doesn't just have bits of real grapes in it, but actual real grapes. All the jams have nice pieces of real fruit in them.

The best strawberry jam is homemade though. Strawberries and sugar, nothing else. Deeeelicious.

Eating jelly or jam is not something people really like in Puerto Rico, last time I ate Jam was on Dennis (black friday), remmenber that food is a cultural element in a Nation, jam and jelly are selled here, even though there good (depending on your tastes), it is not a must have in my house.

I prefer jam....mainly because of the texture, haven't really noticed the difference in taste.

• Retromags Curator

Real syrup is easy to come by. I don't think it's $6 US, but it's not cheap. Is your Pepsi Throwback in cans? Is it still good? I can send different brands and flavours of jams. I think we have brands that you have there: Smuckers, E.D. Smith, Kraft. I don't know if they make the jam different here or not. They make soft drinks different here (real sugar and glucose), so you never know!

• 1 month later...