Hoarders

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

When I am looking for a good deal on games or something similar, I generally go to the Canadian section of cheapassgamer.com, and once in a while to a Canadian forum call Red Flag Deals. Yesterday, Rogers Plus was having a clearance sale. Rogers Plus is a chain video rental store run by Rogers Communications (cable, internet, home phone, cell phone; the Comcast of Canada). Apparently they will no longer be selling games or accessories, and will stick with rentals. So they marked most of the new games as well as accessories at 50% off and 75% off. Needless to say, 2800 Microsoft Points were going for $10 instead of $40, Xbox Gold Memberships were going for $15, controllers for $13, and some new games for as little as $7.50.

The clearance wasn't advertised, but somehow some people found out about it before the stores even opened, and I only found out about it in the early afternoon. By the time I got there after work, there was close to nothing left. At least nothing I wanted. That is fine since I actually have to work and only got there at 5:30. What annoys me is hearing stories of people going in and buying six copies of the same game, or buying every single MS Points card in the store. One story I read was about one guy walking into the store and buying 20 2800 Points Cards. I mean, seriously. I know it's an amazing deal, but do they really need 20 of them? If you are buying more than you need for yourself and maybe for gifts, then you are a dirty hoarder. Another person at another store went in and bought 35 games. Is he really going to play all those games or give them away as gifts? Of course not. He's going to sell them on Craigslist or use them as trading fodder at EB Games or Best Buy/Futureshop. Incredibly annoying.

So basically when these deals come up, if you have a proper job, you miss out because the hoarders grab everything hours before you can get off work. Does anyone in other cities have similar deals forums that are inhabited by hoarders? Are they as annoying as they are in Canada?

• Retromags Curator

The employees at these stores bought stuff for themselves too. Some hoarded as well. Even regional managers bought stuff for themselves. I don't have a problem with employees buying stuff on sale or clearance for themselves. But when they buy 6 of the same game just to resell them, they they suck just as much as the customers who are hoarders. The stories from yesterday are crazy. Two guys in one store filling up a large green garbage bag with games. A male and older female going from store to store cleaning them out, and refusing to let a regular customer buy the one copy of Mario Party DS they snagged with the dozens of other games they pilfered for his daughter for Christmas.

People are really greedy sometimes.