TurboGrafx-16 Hardware

Areala

• 3 years later...

My first 16-bit system was a TG-16. It had a special place in my family, given that the pack-in game was Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. Keith is my first name, and the healing character in the game, Nurse Nancy, shares my mother's name. It made for a pretty cool family adventure.

Bonk's Adventure, Bloody Wolf, and Splatterhouse were personal favorites of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse were two of my favorite games for this system. Bonk's Adventure and Bonk’s Revenge were both good. I remember having a pinball game too. I don’t remember the name of it. I played it a lot.

There were two: Alien Crush and Devil's Crush. Alien Crush came first. Both were basically pinball on a living table, with AC having a two-level table plus bonus stages, while DC's table was three level's tall (fairly sure it had bonus stages too). AC featured aliens, naturally, while DC had demons (including a woman's face that gradually turned into that of a reptilian demon).

• 6 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

Compared to the Super NES and Genesis, it was a very, very, distant third. So much so that a lot of stores didn't even carry it by 1992-93. It had almost no third party games, and NEC itself was pretty much indifferent when it came to supporting it in North America. It did well in Japan, but it sold far less than the other two consoles here.

• 6 months later...

The turbograpx was a awesome machine. I first saw this system at a comics shop that had a small group sitting around playing Bonks Adventure. This system probably has one of my favorite 16 bit games of all time though: The Legendary Axe. I just love everything about this game. I still play it all the time. I really feel that this system should have done better than it did. Sure, it wasn't a true 16 bit but you really couldn't tell it. And it had TONS of software in Japan never ported here. Shame really.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Turbo Grafx 16. I am also the only person I know that had the CD-ROM for it. At the time it was pretty great. My favorite game for this system was a Dungeons & Dragons game called "Order of the Griffen".

Order%20of%20the%20Griffon%20(U).jpg

For the CD ROM I had Wanderers from Ys Which for it's time was pretty sweet.

tg16_ys_3_wanderers_from_ys_p_13xezk.jpg

And I also had this incredibly bizarre Tennis/RPG that was surprisingly fun and incredibly weird.

1731302-wct.jpg

• Like 2

The magazine Videogames & Computer Entertainment was one of the few that championed the Turbografx, and gave it extensive coverage. This was because they had an advertising deal with NEC. They even have Legendary Axe and Ys II Game Of The Year awards.I also think that VG&CE's publisher, the infamous Larry Flint, had a soft spot for the underdog.The magazine had a slight anti-Nintendo bias.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

There were two: Alien Crush and Devil's Crush. Alien Crush came first. Both were basically pinball on a living table, with AC having a two-level table plus bonus stages, while DC's table was three level's tall (fairly sure it had bonus stages too). AC featured aliens, naturally, while DC had demons (including a woman's face that gradually turned into that of a reptilian demon).

I preferred Alien Crush to Devils Crush but both were pretty good.