help searching for game reviews

magman7

I'm new here and am looking for some game reviews in old issues of EGM and diehard gamefan

I need reviews of Super mario bros 3 (NES), Chronotrigger (Super Famicom), Dracula X - rondo of blood (PC Engine), Metal Slug 3 (Arcade), Castlevania sotn (Playstation)

Does anyone know the issue no., month and year the mags reviewed the games?

Thanks in Advance.

• Retromags Curator

I'm new here and am looking for some game reviews in old issues of EGM and diehard gamefan

I need reviews of Super mario bros 3 (NES), Chronotrigger (Super Famicom), Dracula X - rondo of blood (PC Engine), Metal Slug 3 (Arcade), Castlevania sotn (Playstation)

Does anyone know the issue no., month and year the mags reviewed the games?

Thanks in Advance.

I don't know specifics, but I can help you narrow down your search. Unfortunately, we don't have any issues of GameFan archived here, so I can't be much help there. But as far as EGM goes, I can give you some release dates that will hopefully give you a good idea of where to begin your search.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was released in February of 1990 in the US, which means that you'll be looking probably for the Nov. or Dec. '89 or Jan. '90 issue of EGM for a review.

Chrono Trigger was released in August of 1995 for the Super Nintendo, so May - July '95 issues of EGM is where I would start my search.

Rondo of Blood never saw a US release until March of 2010 on the Wii. While EGM may have previewed the Japanese Turbo CD release before its release in October of 1993, it's unlikely they would have given it a full review. This is where GameFan would come in handy, so if you have issues of it, I'd start looking anywhere from Aug. '93 up through Nov. or Dec. of that year in case they couldn't get a review copy and had to import it after its street date.

Metal Slug 3 made its arcade debut in March of 2000 in Japan, and showed up on US shores a few months after that (say July/August maybe?). I'm not sure EGM was doing arcade reviews any longer by that time. GameFan magazine ceased publication in December of 2000, and I don't know if they were still doing arcade write-ups at that point either.

Symphony of the Night will, by far, be the easiest game for you to find reviews on. It was released in Oct. 1997 in the US, which made it a perfect candidate for any Halloween-themed issue of a magazine that year. Try that month and the two months previous, and you're sure to find something related to SOTN. :)

Hope that helps you a little bit!

*huggles*

Areala