Astyanax

Areala

• Retromags Curator

That kid sure is a messy little bastard. The arcade game is okay, never played the NES port.

Not to mention that "the fire of Flaming Polyps" sounds like Nintendo code for hemorrhoids... WHAT was Astyanax trying to do again? :)

*huggles*

Areala

I remember wanting this title pretty bad when I was younger. I asked my mom for it and she agreed to get it for me and have it for me after school. I told her what the box looked like and everything. I remember how grueling that day of school was, waiting for time to go home and being able to play Astyanax.

It was not meant to be.

My mother bought me Robo Warrior, by Jaleco also, instead. If you look at the box art of both, they are quite similar (red lettering for the title and a guy on the cover-though RW was cyborg). She apparently told the clerk at Payless (in Northern California, PL is a general store like K-Mart, not just shoes) that I wanted some game that had red lettering for the title and had a guy on the cover. Robo Warrior is what the clerk handed her, and that is what she bought.

After getting over being annoyed and quite sad, I actually played RW (this took all of about 4 minutes longer than the car ride home for my pre-teen mind to work out). Little did I know that years later, I would still be playing it and enjoying that repetitious, annoying (and FIRST survival horror NES title) game that was the twice removed 4th cousin of the Bomberman series (look it up).

I never got Astyanax. After getting RW, I forgot about it. Anyone play Astyanax and enjoy it?

I'm surprised you noticed the guy on the cover and not the big dragon.

It was my mom and a clerk at the store that got confused. Having heard her version of the story a few times over the years, apparently this was the only NES title they had that had any "guy" on the cover with red lettering so she thought that was it.

It was my mom and a clerk at the store that got confused. Having heard her version of the story a few times over the years, apparently this was the only NES title they had that had any "guy" on the cover with red lettering so she thought that was it.

Reminds me of when I asked for Final Fantasy for Christmas. My mom ended up picking up Dr. Chaos because FF was sold out, and she thought Dr. Chaos looked like something I would like. I never even opened it, and exchanged it for FF when it was in stock. Ironically, the final boss in FF is named Chaos... coincidence, or did my mom see the name in my FF issue of Nintendo Power?

• Retromags Curator

I never got Astyanax. After getting RW, I forgot about it. Anyone play Astyanax and enjoy it?

I did! :)

I remember renting it and not caring too much for it initially because I didn't understand the concept of "powering up" your attacks. Once I understood that, however, I got more enjoyment out of it. I don't remember actually finishing it, but the between-level cut-scenes that told the story were very pretty, and the bosses were just flat-out weird. The first level boss was a dragon-type creature that detached its own head and attacked you with it, then suddenly transformed into an armoured knight once you beat the dragon.

Jaleco's developers had some issues. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 1 year later...