Don't ever do this

When the N64 was about to be released, my parents took me to the local Toys'R'Us frequently to play Mario 64 on the Japanese N64's they had setup there.

For a full month this happened, until the system finally was about to come out, but my parents couldn't afford it.

So I sold my entire video game collection, consisting of:

A Genesis

A SNES

3 controllers for each

10+ games for each

XBand for each

Game Genie for one of them

All to a 20-something couple to get just enough money to buy the N64 and Mario 64 at launch.

I got the system, got it home, and to my disappointment, beat Mario 64 in literally a day, due to all the experience from having played it at Toys'R'Us.

The only other game out was Pilotwings, which as a young kid, bored the hell out of me. So I returned the system and the game, and got a Voodoo 2 card for my PC, which at the time was an amazing graphics card: that computer has long since been sold to a cousin of mine.

So, after all that, I basically ended up with nothing, when I could have kept all of my games and such. :(

• Retromags Curator

Hindsight is 20/20. Though when a new system comes out, the current one that you have seems inadequate all of a sudden. It's dated, which doesn't make it cool since it's not dated enough to be retro.

I had a large collection of Sega Genesis, CD, and 32X games - all in mint condition, along with all the hardware, which I took immaculate care of, in 1997 because I left it at my parents place when I moved to college and figured I wouldn't want to play them anymore. Needless to say it only took a few months to regret that.

I don't know, I've always known I'd want to keep playing the games I love so I never really took a plunge like that. I know I'd regret the heck out of it if I had. =/

I did lose a lot of toys and board games I liked though. My mom tended to get rid of them after a while because they'd just be taking up space. Now I have a daughter and I'm working on letting some back to share with her. Of course, it doesn't hurt to relive some of my memories, either. ;P

I had a box full of NES and SNES games, plus the consoles and a Game Boy with a handful of games, all of which were collecting dust. I foolishly traded in 2003 for a (now broken) new PS2 and a couple new games. I even had some expensive gems in there that I didn't bother to try and eBay individually, like complete in-box Crono Trigger, Earthbound, and a top loading NES, for example. Just those three items together were probably worth what I got for the whole boxful.

• Retromags Curator

I don't know, I've always known I'd want to keep playing the games I love so I never really took a plunge like that. I know I'd regret the heck out of it if I had. =/

I did lose a lot of toys and board games I liked though. My mom tended to get rid of them after a while because they'd just be taking up space. Now I have a daughter and I'm working on letting some back to share with her. Of course, it doesn't hurt to relive some of my memories, either. ;P

I eventually lost interest in playing video games - current ones at least - for several years. I had no real interest in the 32-bit era, though I did have a PSone for a while, and didn't figure I would play my collection any time soon and didn't have much interest in it either, so I sold them. I had a stack of GamePros from 1992-1996 that I didn't keep either, mostly because of the room they took and the fact that I didn't think I would want to read about them again.

My old Lego and old board games are another thing I wouldn't mind having back. If I remember correctly, the game Fireball Island was a lot of fun. There was another one that I had too that was fun. It was some kind of demolition derby/desert run game. You had a bunch of small plastic cars and a board that I think was a valley or desert or something, and you have to make it to the end and back. Or something like that. I wish I could remember what it was called.

• Retromags Curator
There was another one that I had too that was fun. It was some kind of demolition derby/desert run game. You had a bunch of small plastic cars and a board that I think was a valley or desert or something, and you have to make it to the end and back. Or something like that. I wish I could remember what it was called.

The game you're talking about is called "Thunder Road". :)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/804/thunder-road

You're welcome!

*huggles*

Areala

• Retromags Curator

Oh my god, yes! That was it! I never thought I would get the name of it on here. Thanks!

This is the version of the game I had:

pic420213_md.jpg

Now to find a copy of it complete so I can have it again! Seriously, the older I get and the further I get from my childhood and the 80s and 90s, the more I regress into a child.

• Retromags Curator

Oh my god, yes! That was it! I never thought I would get the name of it on here. Thanks!

This is the version of the game I had:

pic420213_md.jpg

Now to find a copy of it complete so I can have it again! Seriously, the older I get and the further I get from my childhood and the 80s and 90s, the more I regress into a child.

By some random coincidence of universal synchronicity, I reviewed Thunder Road for another website about three years ago. I own it myself, which is why I was able to identify it so quickly. If you're interested:

http://www.intelligentgamer.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.9

*huggles*

Areala

Guest s1500

If it makes you feel any better, back in the mid-90s I GAVE AWAY several consoles + game collections that I could have easily sold on eBay for a decent profit. We're talking NES, Virtual Boy, Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Turbo Grafx. Heck, I even had a mint condition CIB Sega Master System(3d glasses, zapper & all) I gave away. I had a decent collection of consoles a decade and a half ago that would cost over $400 to re-buy if I wanted it now.

Yes, a few systems made it to the Goodwill, probably snapped up by an employee.

Oh well. They are merely material possessions.

• Retromags Curator

If it makes you feel any better, back in the mid-90s I GAVE AWAY several consoles + game collections that I could have easily sold on eBay for a decent profit. We're talking NES, Virtual Boy, Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Turbo Grafx. Heck, I even had a mint condition CIB Sega Master System(3d glasses, zapper & all) I gave away. I had a decent collection of consoles a decade and a half ago that would cost over $400 to re-buy if I wanted it now.

Yes, a few systems made it to the Goodwill, probably snapped up by an employee.

Oh well. They are merely material possessions.

Ironic that you popped in today. Yesterday I got an email from Michael J. Sittnick, who used to write for Videogaming Illustrated, almost all of which you scanned, as well as Video Games Magazine from the 80s.

• Retromags Curator

No this was the game that memories were made of

hero-quest-board-game.jpg

I used to play this game all the time. I've got 2 sets of it now as with Advanced Heroquest and a newer game that is very similar called Descent.

I'd kill for an Advanced Heroquest set with the expansions. I've got two versions of the regular Heroquest boardgame: the first American printing where every monster had only 1 body point and you got Equipment cards, and the second printing which did away with the equipment cards in favour of the shop printed on the inside cardboard inset and monsters had variable body points. I also own all 4 of the expansions that were released in the US, though I was grumpy to discover that "The Wizards of Morcar" and "Against the Ogre Horde" were only released in Europe *grumble grumble*.

One day, I will teach my girlfriend how to play it. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 4 weeks later...

I've traded and/or sold a large amount of games in my life. My first regret was trading in Batman Returns for the SNES, along with some other stuff, to get Chrono Trigger. While Chrono Trigger is pretty much my favorite SNES game, Batman Returns is no slouch either. I actually just bought a lot of games and a copy of BR was in the box - go figure I put it in the system and it doesn't work.

I recently got rid of nearly all of my PSX and XBox games. Frankly, I needed the money. I kept the games I loved - like Devil Dice for the PSX - and the rest of them had to go. I felt bad about it at first but the truth is I've picked up a ton of PSX games since and I've been lucky enough to find some great games I never had the chance to play through, like Dino Crisis 2. As far as the XBox is concerned, the games I buy for it now are the ones I missed through the years - The Suffering II: Ties That Bind is my next game.

I'd kill for an Advanced Heroquest set with the expansions. I've got two versions of the regular Heroquest boardgame: the first American printing where every monster had only 1 body point and you got Equipment cards, and the second printing which did away with the equipment cards in favour of the shop printed on the inside cardboard inset and monsters had variable body points. I also own all 4 of the expansions that were released in the US, though I was grumpy to discover that "The Wizards of Morcar" and "Against the Ogre Horde" were only released in Europe *grumble grumble*.

One day, I will teach my girlfriend how to play it. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Yeah I've got a 1st and 2nd printing of HeroesQuest but only 1 expansion... can't remember which it is but it had a red cover. My Advanced HeroesQuest I don't have any expansions for and Decent I also don't have any of the expansions. Man I wish I lived near you so we could get a quest going :D

Oh and I also had another MB game I think it was called Battle Masters that was more of a Warhammer type game.

[edit]

Yup here it is

battlemasters.jpg

battlemasters.jpg

• 6 months later...

Oh man, I actually did something similar. When the Dreamcast was coming out, I gave my whole genesis collection to my sister (consisting of the system and 40 games), since I figured the dreamcast would keep my plenty busy. It did, but man, I still miss having my old games (so much so that I ended up rebuying the vast majority of them). No more, I'm keeping my (good) games, even through my "I don't wanna game anymore" phases.

Yeah I've got a 1st and 2nd printing of HeroesQuest but only 1 expansion... can't remember which it is but it had a red cover. My Advanced HeroesQuest I don't have any expansions for and Decent I also don't have any of the expansions. Man I wish I lived near you so we could get a quest going :D

Oh and I also had another MB game I think it was called Battle Masters that was more of a Warhammer type game.

[edit]

Yup here it is

battlemasters.jpg

battlemasters.jpg

Reminds me of a large scale Stratego game :)

• Retromags Curator

Reminds me of a large scale Stratego game :)

To an extent, playing Battle Masters is like playing a very complex game of Risk (or a very simplified version of Warhammer Fantasy Battles).

Now, if you want full-scale epic physical warfare that sprawls all over the floor, look at getting some "Crossbows & Catapults" sets. These things are absolutely awesome and you get to launch the playing pieces physically. No dice rolling, no "you-missed-no-I-didn't" arguments, no consulting tables to find results. If the wall falls down, the wall falls down. :)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2129/crossbows-and-catapults

*huggles*

Areala

• 1 month later...

I did pretty much the exact same thing as the OP - my brother and I traded in our entire Mega Drive collection to Cash Converters to raise cash for a Nintendo 64. On the plus side, we got Mario and Lylat Wars and rather than trading it in we played the shit out of it. And then Goldeneye came along...

Ever since I've tried to rebuild my Mega Drive collection, but 9 times out of 10 the console itself doesn't work!

• 1 month later...

I've got two versions of the regular Heroquest boardgame: the first American printing where every monster had only 1 body point and you got Equipment cards, and the second printing which did away with the equipment cards in favour of the shop printed on the inside cardboard inset and monsters had variable body points. I also own all 4 of the expansions that were released in the US, though I was grumpy to discover that "The Wizards of Morcar" and "Against the Ogre Horde" were only released in Europe *grumble grumble*.

I love this game. I never knew there was more than one version. It seems that I have the second one, since my monsters usually take more than one hit to kill and I can buy equipment from the shop. I also never knew there were so much expansions for it. Here, at least back in those days, there were only 2: "Kellar's Keep" and "Return of the Witch Lord".

The only thing I really hated was that the mage was not very useful. I mean he had so few spells. If at least some of them could be used more than once...

• 1 month later...

I did something similar not once but TWICE! The first time, I was 17 and looking to buy my first car. I had a part time job at the supermarket and didn't have enough for a downpayment on the car I wanted. So I sold my Atari 2600, NES, SNES and gameboy with all the games to get enough for my downpayment. That was more or less a matter of necessity.

The second time, I had just bought an XBOX 360 and decided to trade in my PS2 and games to cut down the cost. I immediately missed my PS2 and bought a used slim version about two months later.

I've been collecting retro to try and not only get all my old stuff back, but to get the stuff I never had but always wanted.....

• 1 month later...

When the Playstation came out I had to trade in my Megadrive, 32X and loads of games to raise the cash, 4 months later the CD drive needed replacing so my dear old Amiga had to go just so I could keep playing the PSX. These days I never sell or trade anything, I hoard it all! it's not a cheap hobby is it? :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I did something similar to this. I sold off some of my Super Nintendo games to get some money to put towards a Playstation. Thankfully I just sold off a few of my games and not the console itself and all of my games. Regretfully one of the games I sold was the first Megaman X. I've tried to re-acquire some of the games in later years like I've managed to find another copy of Wing Commander that being one of the games I sold off. After that I vowed to never sell another one of my games.