Top 10 PS1 Titles

Areala

• Retromags Curator

You guessed it, list your 10 favorite PS1 titles. You can say why you like them, bitch about other people's listings, rant and rave about what never makes it on to anybody else's list, and discuss amongst yourselves your favorite black-backed CD memories from yesteryear. Go nuts! Go crazy! Just don't go to another thread without posting in this one, ya wankers! ;)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The order is subject to change, but these are usually my go-to PSX games when I need a fix:

1. Skullmonkeys

2. Metal Gear Solid

3. Castlevania: SOTN

4. Final Fantasy Tactics(or IX)

5. Resident Evil 2

6. Abe's Oddysee(or Exxodus)

7. PaRappa the Rapper

8. Chrono Cross

9. Intelligence Qube

10. Gran Turismo 2

Some of them are interchangeable with sequels or counterparts. =x Otherwords, I just couldn't leave them off the list.

1. Tomb Raider II (watches Sarahs head explode from the surprise)

2. Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

3. Final Fantasy VIII

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Resident Evil 2

6. Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix

7. Silent Hill

8. Oddworld Abes Oddyssee

9. Oddworld Abes Exoddus

10. G-Police

Mind you, some of those games I originally played the PC versions of, though I got the PlayStation versions of some of them once the PC started acting up.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Chrono Cross

4. Gran Turismo

5. Ridge Racer Type 4

6. Xenogears

7. Crash Bandicoot

8. Harvest Moon - Back to Nature

9. Final Fantasy Tactics

10. Ogre Battle Limited Edition

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

I can do this...I can do this...

1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

2 - Resident Evil 2

3 - Silent Hill

4 - Tomb Raider 2

5 - Parasite Eve

6 - Pocket Fighter

7 - Resident Evil

8 - Revelations: Persona

9 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

10 - Dino Crisis

Whereas RPGs dominated my SNES gaming days, survival horror tended to dominated my PS1 gaming time. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I can do this...I can do this...

1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

2 - Resident Evil 2

3 - Silent Hill

4 - Tomb Raider 2

5 - Parasite Eve

6 - Pocket Fighter

7 - Resident Evil

8 - Revelations: Persona

9 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

10 - Dino Crisis

Whereas RPGs dominated my SNES gaming days, survival horror tended to dominated my PS1 gaming time. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Out of curiosity, I know Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem 3D are some of your absolute favorite games, so how come they´re not on this list when they´re both available on the PS1? Or did you count the PC versions?

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my Top 10 PS1 game's. :Ps1:

1. Tomb Raider 2

2. Tekken 3

3. Final Doom

4. Gran Turismo 2

5. Broken Sword

6. Madden 98

7. Metal Gear Solid

8. Duke Nukem 3D

9. ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2

10. Wipeout 2097

I'm sure I've forgotten some other great PS1 game's that should be on this list but I can always change it later on. :)

• Retromags Curator

Out of curiosity, I know Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem 3D are some of your absolute favorite games, so how come they´re not on this list when they´re both available on the PS1? Or did you count the PC versions?

Exactly. While the PS1 versions of Tomb Raider and DN3D are just fine, the PC versions are the ones I have more experience with. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 6 months later...

1. metal gear solid

2. castlevania sotn

3. ff tactics

4. ff7

5. front mission 3

6. resident evil 2

7. um jammer lammy

8. silent hill

9. bof 3

10. parrappa

I still haven't played chrono cross, dino crisis, xenogears, and a bunch of other rpgs. but I am finally getting to them thanks to the plastation network.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

2. Metal Gear Solid

3. Final Fantasy IX

4. Spyro: Year of the Dragon

5. Final Fantasy VII

6. Gran Turismo

7. 2 X-Treme

8. Legend of Mana

9. Tecmo's Deception

10. Oddworld

I know, it seems weird to have a Harvest Moon game top this list. But when I was younger, I played the crap out of that game, Engrish and all. I just got to play Metal Gear Solid fairly recently, with the boxset release for MGS 4. And I feel like I am missing something... if I am, I'll edit later.

Legend of Mana is a game I kept renting, but stupidly never got. Anyone see the price new? Might as well get the PSN version.

• Retromags Curator

Legend of Mana is a game I kept renting, but stupidly never got. Anyone see the price new? Might as well get the PSN version.

I'm utterly floored by the price of a new copy of Legend of Mana, considering I bought my copy at Wal-Mart for $30 a few months after it came out. Scarcity is the only thing I can think of motivating that price point: the reviewers were pretty unkind to it, which I imagine led to lower sales and thus a smaller pressing run than it deserved.

Even if the game wasn't the best in the world, the soundtrack is phenomenal. Well-worth the purchase price just to hear the music. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I'm utterly floored by the price of a new copy of Legend of Mana, considering I bought my copy at Wal-Mart for $30 a few months after it came out. Scarcity is the only thing I can think of motivating that price point: the reviewers were pretty unkind to it, which I imagine led to lower sales and thus a smaller pressing run than it deserved.

Even if the game wasn't the best in the world, the soundtrack is phenomenal. Well-worth the purchase price just to hear the music. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Yeah, rarity and condition play a huge role in retro game collection, sometimes more than how good the game is. One of the most expensive Atari 2600 carts is a poor attempt at cross promotion by Ralston, yet its price is so high due to the extremely small number of copies around.

Anyway, if you're just into LoM for the music, that's what sites like this exist for:

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Only my opinion but here it is:

1. Metal Gear Solid. (No need to explain why. It was/is perfect. One of the most memorable pop culture experiences of the entire decade.)

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (Is there a better 2D game on the PSX? No. It's actually one of the best 2D games ever made.)

3. Final Fantasy 7. (This game made the series into one of the biggest moneymakers in gaming history. It was that good.)

4. Resident Evil 2. (One of the finest examples of Survival horror. Stands up well even to this day.)

5. Grand Theft Auto 2. (Excellent game-play with the freedom of the city. Go where you want, do what you want. For the time it was highly original.)

6. Silent Hill. (The first game in the series and a terrific creepy, atmospheric, and original survival horror title.)

7. Driver. (Definitely one of the more important action/driving games of the 32-bit era. Brilliant execution of game-play.)

8. Soul Reaver. (You want a high quality 3D action adventure game? Here it is.)

9. Tekken 3. (The best fighting game of that era. 'Nuff said.)

10. Gran Turismo 2 (Raised the bar for unparalleled realism in a driving game. The original Gran Turismo was excellent. The sequel was even better.)

1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

2. MTV Music Generator

3. Crash Bandicoot: Warped

4. Mega Man Legends 2

5. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!

6. Grandia

7. Ape Escape

8. Gran Turismo 2

9. Driver 2

10. Tekken 3

Honorable mentions:

- Jet Moto