3 - Breath of Fire III

4 - Silent Hill

5 - Final Fantasy IX

6 - Tekken 3

7 - Final Fantasy Tactics

8 - Parasite Eve

9 - Road Rash

10 - Need for Speed III

"I will not put FF7 on there, I will not, I will not!" Haha, nice list man, Road Rash! I was literally thinking about that game this morning. Loved the Genesis games, and playing it later on PS1 was a lot of fun too. Wonder why that is where things called it quits? I can imagine a modern day version being a lot of fun. Put Criterion in charge of it, I believe that is who did the Burnout series, no?

1- Final Fantasy VIII

2- Metal Gear Solid

3- Resident Evil

4- Silent Hill

5- Crash Bandicoot 2

6- Spyro trilogy 

7- Tomb Raider 2

8- Syphon Filter 2

9- Tekken 2 

10- Driver

The PS1 is such an awesome console.

Agreed with it being an awesome console. Would anyone say that they can objectively say they had more fun with the PS1 than the consoles that have come since? I think I did, much as I loved the PS2 and that era of gaming.

Now for the hard one... best console ever, PS1, or SNES?

Also, I have Tekken 2 in my PS3 as I type this. Still holds up nicely, although I was missing the additional fluidity of Tekken 3 when I played 2 last.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Agreed with it being an awesome console. Would anyone say that they can objectively say they had more fun with the PS1 than the consoles that have come since? I think I did, much as I loved the PS2 and that era of gaming.

It's really a toss-up, but the PS1 saw the birth of so many amazingly awesome new properties that it's almost impossible for later systems to compete. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, Gran Turismo, Syphon Filter, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Blood Omen, Tekken, Bushido Blade, Tony Hawk, Wipeout, Dino Crisis, Ridge Racer, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, Grand Theft Auto, Fear Effect, Colony Wars, and Medal of Honor all got their start on Sony's console (or had a multi-platform release that included the PS1, as with Tomb Raider, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil, for instance) just off the top of my head. :)

Then you get into the territory of pre-existing properties that were continued on the system, many of which remain bona fide classics to this day: Final Fantasy, Castlevania, Mega Man, Clock Tower, Metal Gear, Front Mission, Street Fighter, Breath of Fire, the Chrono series, the Mana series, Wing Commander, Spider-Man, Lunar, Road Rash, etc...

I still think the SNES is my favorite console of all time, but you cannot deny the PS1 blew what was already a huge market into the colossus it became. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I still think the SNES is my favorite console of all time, but you cannot deny the PS1 blew what was already a huge market into the colossus it became. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I'll say this much, that SNES games hold up better today, as a whole. I say that PS1 did the games better, at least graphically, 2d vs 2d, and 3d vs 3d, but the vast majority of SNES games were 2d, so I say more of them hold up today, versus the throngs of early 3d PS1 games.

That said, what game was it that solidified that the PS1 was a different beast to you? To me, it was Blood Omen. To see a story so dark, so broody, and... hang on... PLEASE WAIT, LOADING...

...Sorry about that, where was I? Oh yes, the voice acting. That game had atmosphere in ways I had never really seen before, and I loved it.

• Retromags Curator

That said, what game was it that solidified that the PS1 was a different beast to you?

I didn't get a PlayStation until 1999, but my first encounter with Resident Evil in college scared the hell out of me (and everyone else who happened to be down in the dorm lobby that night, watching us play). Prior to that, I'd never been able to claim a video game had actually frightened me. Movies and books, sure. But even games that were meant to horrify from back when I was growing up, like "The Lurking Horror" from Infocom, did little more than creep me out.

Resident Evil, on the other hand, gave me nightmares.

I knew right then that video games had turned a corner, but I still wasn't sold on the PlayStation. After all, I was a die-hard Nintendo girl for the last two generations and Nintendo was still showing up tech demos using Final Fantasy characters.

When Square bailed on Nintendo, and a number of other third-parties followed suit, I could see the writing on the wall: Nintendo would not win the fight that generation, and if I wanted to play RPGs designed by the people who created such classics as Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana, at some point I'd have to break down and buy Sony's console.

The tipping point for me was winter break in 1998 when I came home from school for a couple of weeks, went over to a friend's place, and was introduced to Parasite Eve which is, in my opinion, the best RPG of the 32-bit generation. When Sony dropped the price of the PS1 to $99, I decided I'd been holding off long enough, kissed Nintendo goodbye, and jumped ship. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Resident Evil, on the other hand, gave me nightmares.

I knew right then that video games had turned a corner, but I still wasn't sold on the PlayStation.

The tipping point for me was winter break in 1998 when I came home from school for a couple of weeks, went over to a friend's place, and was introduced to Parasite Eve which is, in my opinion, the best RPG of the 32-bit generation. When Sony dropped the price of the PS1 to $99, I decided I'd been holding off long enough, kissed Nintendo goodbye, and jumped ship. :)

*huggles*

Areala

RE, had it not been preempted by Blood Omen, probably would have been the one to truly do it for me as well. Doom was creepy, Alone in the Dark was a cool concept, but too bright and colorful, so not scary much at all. I mean, most all the games I played in those early PS1 days were a new experience, or a significantly improved one. I never had SNES, but played lots of it at friends' houses, so I missed out on most of the RPG classics of the early 90's.

You really consider Parasite Eve the best 32-bit RPG? I find that interesting. RPG's are such a personal thing, the more you can relate to a character, the more you'll enjoy the game, so I can understand that everybody will have a different answer to that question. For me, I'd have to say it was Suikoden. I had been reading up on it, and EGM had been hyping it up a bit, so I was looking forward to it. I hadn't played an RPG since Super Mario RPG. Right after it came out, I had a difficult time tracking a copy down. Then, my friend Mark unexpectedly was killed. I managed to rent Suikoden, and it offered me an escape from the reality of life for a short time. Fell in love with the game, so I finally found a copy at a local Best Buy for sale and picked it up.

That said, I loved me some Aya as well, cool character, and a great game overall.

• Retromags Curator

You really consider Parasite Eve the best 32-bit RPG? I find that interesting. RPG's are such a personal thing, the more you can relate to a character, the more you'll enjoy the game, so I can understand that everybody will have a different answer to that question. For me, I'd have to say it was Suikoden. I had been reading up on it, and EGM had been hyping it up a bit, so I was looking forward to it. I hadn't played an RPG since Super Mario RPG. Right after it came out, I had a difficult time tracking a copy down. Then, my friend Mark unexpectedly was killed. I managed to rent Suikoden, and it offered me an escape from the reality of life for a short time. Fell in love with the game, so I finally found a copy at a local Best Buy for sale and picked it up.

That said, I loved me some Aya as well, cool character, and a great game overall.

I absolutely consider PE the best 32-bit RPG ever made.

Aya Brea is the quintessential female RPG protagonist to me. She's thrust into a scenario she doesn't understand for reasons she doesn't know, and even though she's given opportunities to break down and abandon the fight, she's mature enough to realize that if she doesn't spearhead the attack on Eve, there's no one to take her place.

In 1999, when I first played the game, Aya was only a couple of years older than I was. I could see myself when I looked at her. She's one of the earliest examples of a female protagonist in an RPG that never shares the spotlight with anyone else, and one whose gender actually matters. You never control anyone else in the game, she never takes the back seat to any of her companions, and indeed the nature of the problem with Eve in New York City means that she HAS to be on the front line. You could lose Cloud and AVALANCHE is still capable of stopping Sephiroth. Squall could fall and there are still enough students in Balamb Garden to take the fight to Ultimecia. If Aya died or said, "Screw it, I don't want this responsibility," and left the city, then that's a big, fat GAME OVER right there. :)

*huggles*

Areala

I wouldn't feel comfortable declaring a "best-RPG-ever" for any given generation when discussing console games (i.e. JRPGs) simply because they're all so incredibly similar in gameplay/game design (press A, repeat.)  As such, I feel the only judgement that matters is how much you enjoyed the game.  For me, the gameplay in tactical RPGs is more fun, with Vandal Hearts being my personal favorite.  But PE definitely had its own style and feel that set it apart, and I actually played it through to completion, which is pretty high praise from me, since I usually lose interest before finishing JRPGs.  Never played the sequel, though.

• Retromags Curator

Neither sequel can hold a candle to the original. Parasite Eve II took a page from the Resident Evil playbook, so it's heavy on the action and very light on the RPG elements as it tries to be survival horror. The 3rd Birthday on the PSP looks beautiful, but it's a generic action shooter with a 'body shifting' gimmick that stars a woman named Aya Brea, and I'll be damned if she's anything like the woman who shares her name from the original game. :)

*huggles*
Areala

I would definitely place Aya right up there with Celes and Terra, The Boss, EVA, Jill Valentine, Lucca, Marle, and Aya from Chrono Trigger, and a whole slew of characters from the Suikoden series, in the ranks of badass ladies in games.

Did you guys play through the whole Sears tower part of the game? I remember doing that, I was a bit of a completionist in my younger days.

Did you guys play through the whole Sears tower part of the game? I remember doing that, I was a bit of a completionist in my younger days.

Yes, and I'm still a completionist.  Which is probably why I complete so few games lol.  God help me if the game gives you a set number of doodads to collect per level or tells you what percentage of secrets you've found/tasks you've completed, because I won't move on until I've found them all.  I've still not played any GTAs after Vice City simply because I never got around to getting 100% in VC (though I did get 100% in GTAIII.)  And good lord, I put nearly 100 hours into Tactics Ogre before going on hiatus and had probably only played half of the branching levels at that point.

• Like 1

Yes, and I'm still a completionist.  Which is probably why I complete so few games lol.  God help me if the game gives you a set number of doodads to collect per level or tells you what percentage of secrets you've found/tasks you've completed, because I won't move on until I've found them all.  I've still not played any GTAs after Vice City simply because I never got around to getting 100% in VC (though I did get 100% in GTAIII.)  And good lord, I put nearly 100 hours into Tactics Ogre before going on hiatus and had probably only played half of the branching levels at that point.

Sounds like my Dragon Quest 8 and FF12 games. Pretty sure I have something like 250 hours into each of them. Suikoden 5 was in a similar boat, something like 200 or so...

GTA games, while fun, are so massive that you could probably play for years without finding EVERYTHING, assuming you don't use a walk through or other form of help. Would I be correct in assuming you don't play games like Skyrim or Fallout? Neat as they are, I just wouldn't be able to put them down if I got absorbed into them.

GTA games, while fun, are so massive that you could probably play for years without finding EVERYTHING, assuming you don't use a walk through or other form of help. Would I be correct in assuming you don't play games like Skyrim or Fallout? Neat as they are, I just wouldn't be able to put them down if I got absorbed into them.

I wouldn't dream of getting 100% in a GTA without some form of help.  Of course, doing things like tracking down every package and doing every stunt jump become possible with a walkthrough, yet also become merely rote things on a checklist to do, taking away some of the fun.  Such is the curse of the completionist.

And no, I don't play anything made in the last 10-15 years for the most part, so while I've played older Elder Scrolls and Fallout games from the 90s, I've never played the ones you're no doubt referring to. 

• Retromags Curator

If I'd put the same amount of time I've spent playing Morrowind since its release into, say, learning Japanese I'd be speaking, reading, and writing at a ridiculously high proficiency. This is equal parts funny and sad. :)

*huggles*
Areala

I wouldn't dream of getting 100% in a GTA without some form of help.  Of course, doing things like tracking down every package and doing every stunt jump become possible with a walkthrough, yet also become merely rote things on a checklist to do, taking away some of the fun.  Such is the curse of the completionist.

And no, I don't play anything made in the last 10-15 years for the most part, so while I've played older Elder Scrolls and Fallout games from the 90s, I've never played the ones you're no doubt referring to. 

I loved that stuff in GTA3, but for whatever reason, didn't care for Vice City, and didn't bother with San Andreas. By the time I played GTA4, the stunt jumps were a little more difficult to really notice where they would be... plus, with 3, my younger brother and I would just drive around screwing off. Now that he lives in another state, I was playing solo, so it wasn't quite as much fun. The laughs are a lot better to share with a game like that.

If I'd put the same amount of time I've spent playing Morrowind since its release into, say, learning Japanese I'd be speaking, reading, and writing at a ridiculously high proficiency. This is equal parts funny and sad. :)

*huggles*

Areala

You know, I don't even want to know the amount of time I've wasted on stuff I don't even remember. Sadly, most games and movies fall into this category, even ones I really enjoyed at some point, the memories are deeply buried, or possibly forgotten at this point.

Specifically on the subject of Morrowind, when a friend showed me that you learned the story through reading random books in people's houses, I knew right then I wouldn't be able to play a game like that. If I wanted to read a book, I would, you know... read a book.

Makes you look at prioritizing in a whole new light though, doesn't it? ;)