Looking for a Electronics Boutique magazine ad

sarujo

There is a magazine ad for Electronics Boutique that is haunting me. Back during the last days of the Sega Saturn the chain began selling imported Saturn games and even had a section dedicated to these Saturn games in the store. It was here that I acquired my copy of the game Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu or as many fans know it as Dragon Ball Z: Legends.

574103_13861_front.jpg

I remember the other Japanese Saturn games that they were selling were Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu, some yearly Japanese baseball game that I'd never heard of, and X-Men vs Street Fighter.

In more resent years I've found it hard to prove that such a thing happened. I heard responses from, I just lucked out on somebody's trade in, to just blatantly being called a liar. "I go to EB all the time, and I've never seen them sell anything imported from Japan". I feel the only way to prove such a thing, is if I have the magazine flyer. Preferably with the graphical mentioning of Dragon Ball Z: Legends.

If it wasn't for this magazine flyer, I wouldn't have known about converters, in turn, I would have never been able to play the game. For the night I was able to try the game, it wouldn't load. So I looked at the ad and saw where they stated that a converter was needed.

Here's what I can recall about the ad:

*The ad occurred sometime during 1997-1998. It wouldn't hurt not to rule out 1999. As my copy of Dragon Ball Z: Legends was release in June 20, 1997 and X-Men vs Street Fighter was released on November 27, 1997.

*Japanese Saturn games may not have been the central focus, a the graphic for Legends is at the bottom of the the page.

*They call it Dragon Ball Z: Legends as apposed to Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu.

*The selling point was that they were the only place that was selling the Saturn version X-Men vs Street Fighter.

I've been trying to go through all the magazine publications that I bought issues for. Right now I can rule out an Nintendo centric publication, as most of the Nintendo Power issues I've had were from the very early '90s, and the only most resent issue was 125 from October 1999. Books that I've narrowed down are GamePro, Electronic Games Monthly, GameFan, PlayStation: The Official Magazine, PSM, Official US PlayStation Magazine, Expert Gamer, and Tips & Tricks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

I don't think I'm familiar with the ad you're seeking, but as I tear through my own mags I'll keep an eye open for it.

Gamefan featured a lot of import game services, as did EGM especially in the 90s. Most of what I own is from the early 90s so I may not find that one exactly, but if I find anything that shows Electronics Boutique offering import games for sale, I'll let you know. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 5 months later...

Electronics Boutique (the store) or EGM (the magazine)? :)

Well, anyways, the only thing I might have (no guarantees) is a EGM "Next Wave" preview of "Final Fantasy Adventure 2" which I don't think were too different than the released shots except MAYBE NPCs and lack of characters' HP along the bottom of the screen (I think the power bars were show). But I can't say for sure since it's been awhile since I looked at that issue (and I'm not sure which issue it was, I think the only '93 EGMs I'm sure I still got are March, May, about 75% of July, October and December).

I'm sure there was a Nintendo Power "Pak Watch" review from about that time (early 1993) that had similar shots.

• 4 weeks later...

i would definitely believe you that back then they did sell imports, there was always ads for import games in magazines, they sold Japanese Pokemon cards at places like k b toys, they would never do that these days, But Anyway Back in the day Electronics Boutique had a sales paper which was like a magazine free at there store, could you of possibly seen it in there?

Back in the day Electronics Boutique had a sales paper which was like a magazine free at there store, could you of possibly seen it in there?

Not really, I mostly had magazines. If I did have any circulars, I'd never keep up with them. Funny you should mention the Japanese Pokémon cards, Electronics Boutique is where I also got this Pikachu model kit.

228674_195982367113443_100001050422994_524604_3287379_n.jpg

• 3 years later...

You are on the right track I believe. Issue 119 of EGM has an advert for a company called Gamecave (www.gamecave.com) with Import Saturn & PSX games listed and Dragonball Z Legends is one of the games listed in the ad. I am guessing if you have access to EGM issues around May - Oct you might find the EB ad you are looking for.

*** UPDATE ***

Maybe this is what you are looking for?

EBadvert

• Like 1