The curious case of God of War IIs censorship

I recently got the God of War Collection for the PS3, and after completing GoW II I discovered that my European copy is apparently censored compared to the US version, and in a way that makes no sense. Disregarding the weird "nudity is more harmful than violence" stance that censors have, the censorship in GoW II is even more baffling as the censorship isn´t consistent. The first instance of censorship is the woman in the bed during the nightmare sequence, in my copy of the game she´s got a sheet draped over her lower body, while in the uncensored version she´s naked, and apparently that´s bad, even though the game´s full of bare breasts to begin with. The other thing I´ve heard about being censored is the cage-burning, in my game the cage contains an undead soldier, but in the uncensored version it apparently is a real live human, I can´t see why that was changed, it´s a cruel scene, yes, but the game already contains other moments of killing human characters in bloody ways, like when you feed a still living human to a grinding wheel in order to jam it, so why was the burning scene altered?

It annoys me that I only found out about the censorship after I had bought the game, I hate it when I buy a dvd or game only to find out I´ve gotten an inferior version.

• 2 weeks later...

The scene where you stuff the human in the grinder is a motion scene with the actual in-game character models instead of a clip, no? That could be a reason why that part wasn't cut, it would take too much work. Whereas with a video clip, you can edit/redo/cut pieces of it out completely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...