Sign in to follow this  
E-Day

Dust under Scanner Glass

I've used my HP scanner a lot. And somehow, quite a bit of dust/tiny bits of paper have managed to find their way into the scanner and onto the underside of the glass. Of course, this is a problem when you want to have nice clean scans. Short of taking it apart and most likely breaking it, does anyone know how to get rid of the stuff under the glass? I never had this issue with my old Canon scanner.

Probably nothing you can do but take it apart. Unless you can somehow tilt the scanner to the side and hope that the piece falls somewhere that it doesn't interfere with the quality of the scans.

Since it's stuck under the glass, I am assuming it's there due to static electricity. Most of the time no amount of shaking with work with that.

I've had to take the glass out of one of my scanners and ended up wiping down both sides of the glass with a dry eyeglass cleaning cloth to prevent scratches. It may be possible that they made it easier to get the glass out than you may think, so take a moment to see if removing a plastic slat may do the trick.

I think I'll give it a try. I'll have to do it when my wife isn't around so she doesn't nag my ear off about breaking our printer :P

I was able to clean underneath, but because I didn't know how to take it apart, I caused a few scratches. but they didn't cause anything noticable in the scans.

I have since purchased a new all-in-one since the last one stopped working (wouldn't print, had trouble getting it to turn on correctly).